Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you Hook?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

floor is more natural to me...probably because when i shadowbox i always turn my punches a lot............it's usually a pretty short hook though....ive heard long hook=facing you short hook=facing floor..........

Comment

I have always been taught to have the palms facing the floor for hooks unless they're shovel hooks.

Comment

Both, just depends on the distance and stuff

Comment

my wrists are pointed inward to me at a slight comfortable angle,my feet are positioned at the right trajectory to which the hook will land with the most force and accuracy,good feet positioning is very crucial in hook punches as after a hook is thrown you must be able to slip away in the safest direction

Comment

Ok so i'll borrow you guys for a few more questions:

Do you step in with left hook like with straight punches?

Does stepping in mean you step in with front foot and than back away with it (back leg does not move) or does it mean to move front foot and than back foot follows it?

What am I doing wrong with the left hook if my biceps at the end (near elbow) hurts?

Everyone (including youtube) shows stuff a bit differently so for me it's actually hard to learn boxing...

Comment

Originally posted by Vitez View Post
              Ok so i'll borrow you guys for a few more questions:

Do you step in with left hook like with straight punches?

Does stepping in mean you step in with front foot and than back away with it (back leg does not move) or does it mean to move front foot and than back foot follows it?

What am I doing wrong with the left hook if my biceps at the end (near elbow) hurts?

Everyone (including youtube) shows stuff a bit differently so for me it's actually hard to learn boxing...
              you are probably throwing untimed wild haymakers,try standing in front of a mirror for a couple of weeks and work on your technique,throw combos slowly at first then faster as you gradually get acquainted with throwing punches in a correct manner

Comment

Go to a gym, you have no idea how foot work works, and you're gonna devolop bad habits.

Comment

i got told to do it with them facing the floor. worked fine on the pads but not on the heavy bag.

Comment

I was asking regarding stepping in when you punch. I'm in a gym and I read a few books about boxing so not a total noob really.

I do have a coach but I also use my own head for instance hooking with fist facing me is one of the things I do differently than my coach says...

Comment

Two most important rules in boxing , One being keep your ****ing hands up. Two being, Listen to what your coach says, always. He's a coach for a reason. And if you legitimately think hes doing something wrong, then get a new coach.

Comment

Working...
                      X