Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will silva continue his unbeaten streak??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gorilla Dogs View Post
    sonnen better than his last opponents. is that why mia beat the **** outta him?

GTFOH

I forgot about that fight but Maia got KTFO by Marquardt. Sonnen demolished Marquardt who was probably the number middleweight at the time in the UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
      The only thing that worrys me here is how Travis Lutter got the takedown and easily got mount on Anderson Silva. If he wasn't weight drained Travis Lutter would have FINISHED Anderson Silva.
      1 - He got the take down because Anderson tried a flying knee on him. he absorbed the blow and got him down.

2 - Anderson was coming off a surgery on his knees (arthroscope)

3 - Lutter is 500x (not exaggerating a bit) the grappler than Sonnen is. He's a high decorated bjj Black Belt under the Machados'. also he won many grappling events in the USA.

See his credentials:

* Winner Ultimate Submission Challenge 2003
      * Competitor 2001 ADCC World Championships
      * Competitor 2000 ADCC World Championships
      * Winner 2001 National USA ADCC Qualifier
      * Winner 2000 National USA ADCC Qualifier
      * Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt under Carlos Machado
      * 1st place 2001 Texas State BJJ Champion
      * 3rd place Heavyweight Purple Belt, 2000 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Championships; Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
      * 3rd place Purple Belt Heavyweight, 2000 Pan-American Games
      * 1st place Heavyweight Champion 1999 Texas Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Open
      * 1st place Heavyweight and Overall Champion 1998 Texas Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championships
      * 2nd place 1998 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Championships; Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
      * 1st place Heavyweight Champion 1998 USA Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championships
      * 1st place Heavyweight Champion 1997 San Antonio Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Open

Now watch him grappling against a 7-times Brazilian Jiu Jitsu World Champion Rodrigo "Comprido" (Brock Lesnar's BJJ coach, btw):

Very close match that Lutter was winning until the very end when Comprido scored with a sweep.

4 - When was the last time you saw someone finishing an opponent from the full mount where the guy on bottom wasn't rocked before? Most MMA fighters nowadays (most wrestlers) don't even go for full mount because its easy to bump and make the top guy lose balance and then sweep him.

See the gif of Lutter on the full mount:

Lutter couldn't do any damage because anderson had his hands on Lutter's armpits/shoulders so he absorbed and or misdirected most of Lutters punches.

5 - Travis Lutter wasn't completely drained from the weigh ins... That's a myth. Actually he was in better shape in that fight because he didn't even try to cut the remaining pounds because he knew he wouldn't be able. (he went to the locker room for 15 mins and then gave up. So actually he was probably over 205 pounds that night.

Here's a pic of Alves when he came 3 pounds over the limit against Hughes:

For these guys cutting 2-3 pounds less is a huuuge advantage. The last pounds are the ones that kill you.

So yeh, very different scenarios, very different fighters. While Lutter was a great bjj black belt, Sonnen says bjj is for gays...

Sonnen will stay on Anderson's guard landing short elbows. He wont even try to pass it and he doesn't have the power to finish anderson either.

He probably will plan on decisioning Anderson of winning by tko due to accumulated damage (that wont happen, btw).

So if Chael can do that then he has a hell of a chance to pound him out. But most likely he'll get caught with a knee, punch, or kick while coming in and that will be the beginning of the end. I say it ends in 3-4 minutes.
      He can also get subbed from the bottom. I'm betting on this, btw.
      Last edited by PopoFreitas; 08-04-2010, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Junito-Rulez View Post
        I forgot about that fight but Maia got KTFO by Marquardt. Sonnen demolished Marquardt who was probably the number middleweight at the time in the UFC.
        So are you saying that Maia > Sonnen > Marquard > Maia > Sonnen ∞ ?

Anyway, Sonnen DOMINATED marquardt, but he didn't demolished him... Far from it. marquardt did a lot of damage from the bottom and almost subbed him twice.

Fact is: Anderson destroyed Marquard, Maia and is about to fight Chael... So we don't need to speculate much more..

Anderson by anything (90%) or Sonnen by decision (10%), that would be my prediction.
        Last edited by PopoFreitas; 08-04-2010, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PopoFreitas View Post
          1 - He got the take down because Anderson tried a flying knee on him. he absorbed the blow and got him down.

2 - Anderson was coming off a surgery on his knees (arthroscope)

3 - Lutter is 500x (not exaggerating a bit) the grappler than Sonnen is. He's a high decorated bjj Black Belt under the Machados'. also he won many grappling events in the USA.

See his credentials:

* Winner Ultimate Submission Challenge 2003
          * Competitor 2001 ADCC World Championships
          * Competitor 2000 ADCC World Championships
          * Winner 2001 National USA ADCC Qualifier
          * Winner 2000 National USA ADCC Qualifier
          * Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt under Carlos Machado
          * 1st place 2001 Texas State BJJ Champion
          * 3rd place Heavyweight Purple Belt, 2000 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Championships; Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
          * 3rd place Purple Belt Heavyweight, 2000 Pan-American Games
          * 1st place Heavyweight Champion 1999 Texas Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Open
          * 1st place Heavyweight and Overall Champion 1998 Texas Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championships
          * 2nd place 1998 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Championships; Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
          * 1st place Heavyweight Champion 1998 USA Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championships
          * 1st place Heavyweight Champion 1997 San Antonio Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Open

Now watch him grappling against a 7-times Brazilian Jiu Jitsu World Champion Rodrigo "Comprido" (Brock Lesnar's BJJ coach, btw):

Very close match that Lutter was winning until the very end when Comprido scored with a sweep.

4 - When was the last time you saw someone finishing an opponent from the full mount where the guy on bottom wasn't rocked before? Most MMA fighters nowadays (most wrestlers) don't even go for full mount because its easy to bump and make the top guy lose balance and then sweep him.

See the gif of Lutter on the full mount:

Lutter couldn't do any damage because anderson had his hands on Lutter's armpits/shoulders so he absorbed and or misdirected most of Lutters punches.

5 - Travis Lutter wasn't completely drained from the weigh ins... That's a myth. Actually he was in better shape in that fight because he didn't even try to cut the remaining pounds because he knew he wouldn't be able. (he went to the locker room for 15 mins and then gave up. So actually he was probably over 205 pounds that night.

Here's a pic of Alves when he came 3 pounds over the limit against Hughes:

For these guys cutting 2-3 pounds less is a huuuge advantage. The last pounds are the ones that kill you.

So yeh, very different scenarios, very different fighters. While Lutter was a great bjj black belt, Sonnen says bjj is for gays...

Sonnen will stay on Anderson's guard landing short elbows. He wont even try to pass it and he doesn't have the power to finish anderson either.

He probably will plan on decisioning Anderson of winning by tko due to accumulated damage (that wont happen, btw).

He can also get subbed from the bottom. I'm betting on this, btw.
          That's what I'm saying though, theirs a SLIGHT chance maybe Anderson Silva goes for a flying knee and Sonnen could do the same thing. Their's not a doubt in my mind Lutter is one of the best grapplers in MMA im not trying to say he's not, but I'm saying their's a always a slight chance that could happen. But I agree if it's in Silva's guard then Chael's tapping. Marquardt isn't good off his back AT ALL and that's where Silva's BJJ works the best because of his extremely long limbs.

BUt I think their's a better chance Silva catches him with that flying knee and Chael's left sprawling fighting for that takedown. Chael's definitely losing. But Lutter has never been known for "great GNP" either, Chael is on a whole other level as far as punching people on the ground. But he couldn't even get mount on Bryan Baker so I don't think think it happens either.

And as far as BJJ being gay, wrestling is even gayer even though I use to wrestle myself and am not saying it is gay but if BJJ is then wrestling is definitely more so since the whole objective is to get a dominant position over a man and lay on him for a pin where as BJJ your actually hurting your opponent and could break ANY limb with hundreds of different moves whereas in wrestling more injuries only occur because somebody plants their arm down to fall causing a break.

Comment

That's what I'm saying though, theirs a SLIGHT chance maybe Anderson Silva goes for a flying knee and Sonnen could do the same thing. Their's not a doubt in my mind Lutter is one of the best grapplers in MMA im not trying to say he's not, but I'm saying their's a always a slight chance that could happen. But I agree if it's in Silva's guard then Chael's tapping. Marquardt isn't good off his back AT ALL and that's where Silva's BJJ works the best because of his extremely long limbs.

BUt I think their's a better chance Silva catches him with that flying knee and Chael's left sprawling fighting for that takedown. Chael's definitely losing. But Lutter has never been known for "great GNP" either, Chael is on a whole other level as far as punching people on the ground. But he couldn't even get mount on Bryan Baker so I don't think think it happens either.
            Oh ok. I misunderstood your first post. Sorry.

I agree with you then. But I don't think Anderson will try a flying knee in their fight nor will Sonnen shoot from the outside like Lutter did (where a knee becomes a great counter)

Sonnen will press him and go for the double leg as soon as Anderson plants his lead leg to go for a punch... So Anderson wont be able to throw the knee with full power... I think if he do that he'll only help Sonnen's takedown.

Also I think that Sonnen WILL take him down if the fight go past the second round. I think that's a mute point but once there what Chael going to do?

What his does best... Wear people down landing endless elbows and short/rabbit punches...

I don't think he'll try to pass Anderson's guard even if he can... Really. Even if Anderson opens his guard and invite him to go to his half guard I don't think he'll go there... (I'd be surprised If he tries to grapple with Anderson, even if he thinks he's better)

And as far as BJJ being gay, wrestling is even gayer even though I use to wrestle myself and am not saying it is gay but if BJJ is then wrestling is definitely more so since the whole objective is to get a dominant position over a man and lay on him for a pin where as BJJ your actually hurting your opponent and could break ANY limb with hundreds of different moves whereas in wrestling more injuries only occur because somebody plants their arm down to fall causing a break.
            Yep. Sonnen is a nutjob... I don't even know if he was serious when he said that but then again he has 7 losses due to submissions...

He said he doesn't do that because he's a Republican, lol.

Comment

Working...
            X