Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Boxing’s Changing Faces (Or Not)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Boxing’s Changing Faces (Or Not)

By Cliff Rold - In sports, it can be a marvel to witness top talents at their peak. If those peaks extend beyond the norm, that’s even better. It can help us to contextualize what we’re seeing. This week in the NBA, the Miami Heat might be well on their way to sewing up a fourth consecutive trip to the Finals.

That’s a good thing.

In general though, in sport, static is bad. We are programmed to accept the broad concept that old gives way to new. It’s long been that way for boxing fans. New is excitement, desire, and the unpredictable.

Now, new doesn’t always have to mean young. Sometimes, we get a late bloomer; we get a Glen Johnson for instance. New can just mean fresh faces and, for US audiences, the established face of boxing could be in for an overhaul this weekend.

Two fights in Macau, China, and another in London, will pit fairly fresh faces on the world stage against three of the most established names in boxing. Vic Darchinyan, Nonito Donaire, and Carl Froch have been fixtures near the top of their respective classes for years. All three of them are matched in fights they could lose this weekend.

Nicholas Walters, Simpiwe Vetyeka, and George Groves are not unknown going into the weekend but they are all fresh.

They may also be ascendant.

Of the three established names, Donaire can probably afford a loss the most. Only 31, and fighting in his fifth weight class, there would be more opportunities. The 33-year old WBA “Super” titlist Vetyeka (26-2, 16 KO) is a fighter with a hot hand. Winning ten of his last eleven since falling short in a Bantamweight title shot against Hozumi Hasegawa in 2007, Vetyeka has already freshened up the Featherweight ranks. His stoppage of Chris John in December 2013 ended the longest active title run in the sport and cleared out a faded champion who’d hung on too long. [Click Here To Read More]

Nice article! Looks like I will be streaming Groves-Froch II

Comment

Why did you say Walters and Vetyeka arent unknowns?

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
        Why did you say Walters and Vetyeka arent unknowns?
        Cause Walters has a belt and Vetyeka ended Chris John's career.

That said I'm sure they are unknown to the public at large

Comment

Originally posted by davidw9785 View Post
          Cause Walters has a belt and Vetyeka ended Chris John's career.

That said I'm sure they are unknown to the public at large
          Youre correct. However, theres frequents here who still have no idea who the hell Walters is. As far as Vetyeka goes, well, prior to the John fight no one knew who the hell he was. Including myself. And let's not act like beating John made him internationally known either.

Comment

Youre correct. However, theres frequents here who still have no idea who the hell Walters is. As far as Vetyeka goes, well, prior to the John fight no one knew who the hell he was. Including myself. And let's not act like beating John made him internationally known either.
            Walters has had highlights on HBO. Veteyka is known if you follow smaller guys. They aren't as out of nowhere as, say, Estrada was before Gonzalez and Viloria.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
              Walters has had highlights on HBO. Veteyka is known if you follow smaller guys. They aren't as out of nowhere as, say, Estrada was before Gonzalez and Viloria.
              I first heard of Walters when the whole Caballero thing was going on. And I've seen some peeps here say they never seen him.

Im no expert of the smaller guys but I first heard of Vetyeka after John and the smaller divisions are pretty unknown to the general public if you ask me.

Maybe they're not unknown amongst you guys (writers and people more involved in the sport) but I think for the most part they are. Just my opinion.

Comment

I first heard of Walters when the whole Caballero thing was going on. And I've seen some peeps here say they never seen him.

Im no expert of the smaller guys but I first heard of Vetyeka after John and the smaller divisions are pretty unknown to the general public if you ask me.

Maybe they're not unknown amongst you guys (writers and people more involved in the sport) but I think for the most part they are. Just my opinion.
                Agree. That was why I said fresh. Not entirely unknown

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                  Agree. That was why I said fresh. Not entirely unknown
                  Gotcha. I guess my comprehension failed me that time.

Comment

Working...
                  X