No announcement yet.

The Ring's FOY is actually better than BWAA

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    But if we're here rating Stevenson's wins over Bellew and Cloud.....how can you not rate Floyd's win over Guerrero, who actually looked good going into the Floyd fight against two guys that had been Top 10 WW's.

Cloud hadn't won a fight since Yusaf Mack, who's not very good. He'd been compltely schooled the previous two fights going into the Stevenson fight.

And Bellew is Euro level at best, only Top 10 at 175 because there's only about 5-6 good fighters there.
    The Ghost win does absolutely nothing for me. I refuse to acknowledge Ghost as some sort of "top" welterweight. You can use the word "top" all you want, I actually look at the man and who he beat and his chances going into the fight. And any case you make to boost Ghost's standing, someone could do to boost Adonis' opponents. Thats why its best to de-emphasize arbitrary rankings and paper titles.

Stevenson was more active and took control of the division.

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
      The Ghost win does absolutely nothing for me. I refuse to acknowledge Ghost as some sort of "top" welterweight. You can use the word "top" all you want, I actually look at the man and who he beat and his chances going into the fight. And any case you make to boost Ghost's standing, someone could do to boost Adonis' opponents. Thats why its best to de-emphasize arbitrary rankings and paper titles.

Guerrero is certainly better then sorry ass Tavoris Cloud. And Bellew is a Euro level fighter. If you're going to give him credit for those wins, as decent/solid wins, you better say Floyd over Gurrero is a decent/solid win.

Comment

Floyd's a fucking ****, Stevenson was the right choice

Comment

Props to the Ring for choosing Stevenson. He may not be the unanimous choice, but is certainly a better one than Floyd.
          Link?

I agree btw, it was Stevenson's year. He was my pick.

Avenged a KO defeat, became lineal champ, beat a top 5 guy and KO'd his mandatory (also top 10) all inside 9 months.
          Last edited by Weebler I; 01-30-2014, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
            Guerrero is certainly better then sorry ass Tavoris Cloud. And Bellew is a Euro level fighter. If you're going to give him credit for those wins, as decent/solid wins, you better say Floyd over Gurrero is a decent/solid win.
            Adonis fought 4 times. Floyd twice. So even with your logic that the Ghost win was decent and on par with "sorry ass cloud" and bellew...well it should be clear now.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
              Link?

Avenged a KO defeat, became lineal champ, beat a top 5 guy and KO'd his mandatory (also top 10) all inside 9 months.
              I heard it from someone there...but dude its on Ring's site.

Comment

I can respect how you feel but the writers can't base their votes on this. Their credibility would be completely destroyed. At the time floyd defeated Ghost he was a top ranked ww. the subjective rankings can't be discarded for personal objectives.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                  Link?

We are giving people credit for avenging a defeat against a can these days? He beat a crap fighter, Dawson coming off of a beating, Cloud who hadn't won in just over a year, and a contender. It is hardly the stuff of legends.

Rigondeaux, Bradley, Mayweather, Lara and Garcia are more worthy options.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    I can respect how you feel but the writers can't base their votes on this. Their credibility would be completely destroyed. At the time floyd defeated Ghost he was a top ranked ww. the subjective rankings can't be discarded for personal objectives.
                    Its not as black and white as you make it. there are no official rankings that writers abide by. Too bad Floyd is involved, perhaps things would be more balanced. All of the candidates fought ranked opponents and rankings are subjective and looked at as much. Each writer looks at these rankings, resumes, etc and makes a decision. They dont just vote yea or nay based on the ring's, or anyone else's rankings.

Its unfortunate Floyd fans see this debate as knocking FLoyd when its really about acknowledging that other fighters, while lesser known, are doing things worthy of respect.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
                      We are giving people credit for avenging a defeat against a can these days? He beat a crap fighter, Dawson coming off of a beating, Cloud who hadn't won in just over a year, and a contender. It is hardly the stuff of legends.
                      You get credit for beating anyone that knocks you out. Prescott is a "can", but if Khan got back in the ring and beat him he'd get a lot of respect. Regardless, that was just one of his wins.

Cloud was top 5 in the division, former champ who had never been stopped. Moreover, again it was just one of his wins. It's the total package for the year that was impressive.

Manner of victory is notable too, he was knocking these guys out, no decisions necessary. Knocked out the lineal champ in round 1, and his mandatory inside 6.

Rigondeaux, Bradley, Mayweather, Lara and Garcia are more worthy options.
                      Everyone's entitled to their opinion, from that list I liked Rigo and Bradley but it's not our opinion that counts for this one. The one where our opinion counts, Golovkin was chosen
                      Last edited by Weebler I; 01-30-2014, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X