Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Does Cutting Weight Affect Punch Resistance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Does Cutting Weight Affect Punch Resistance?

I've heard people say about Amir Khan and other fighters on how their chin has improved upon moving up in weight since they don't have to cut as much weight. How are those two things related, or are the people who say that just idiots??

Obviously there is no direct scientific study conducted on this exact subject

Its not cutting weight but excessively cutting weight.

When was the last time Khan was KD?

Comment

I think it's when a fighter has to really drain themselves to make the weight. Because their bodies aren't healthy or fully hydrated, their resistance to punishment goes down.

I doubt there's any scientific proof of this, but plenty of fighters have seemingly lost pucnh reisistance when cutting a lot of weight.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWbbmest311 View Post
        I've heard people say about Amir Khan and other fighters on how their chin has improved upon moving up in weight since they don't have to cut as much weight. How are those two things related, or are the people who say that just idiots??
        Losing fluids, could make the fluid around the brain less, making a KO more likely.

If you are dehydrated it decreases the fluid in the body and around the brain. Boxers that have to cut too much dehydrate themselves to make weight.

That is my take on this

Comment

just watch RJJR vs Tarver when he dropped a ton of weight or Byrd when he came down from heavyweight and fought Shaun George at 175. Those fights should answer your question.

Comment

Used to do it a lot when wrestling and while I wasn't getting punched, I used to feel extremely weak an easily dazed from a hard take down when I lost too much water. Even after some time between weigh-ins and matches, takes a while for your body to re-absorb 10lbs of water.

Comment

You need water in your system so cutting around 4-6 litres of it to make weight will make you feel weaker, especially when you can't absorb that much water back into your system before fight time.

Comment

Your body is weaker when it's weight drained. That obviously effects your ability to take a punch.

Comment

do you feel stronger after eating or while starving?

Comment

Originally posted by Larryx2011 View Post
                    do you feel stronger after eating or while starving?
                    I Didn't say it, but I meant specifically a fighters ability to take the same punch from the same fighter but at a different weight. I get the whole notion of being weak and what have you.

I meant the actual unmeasurable "chin" statistic. Because you are moving up in weight so in theory you're fighting bigger guys who throw harder punches.

The average 140 pound fighter punches harder than the average 135 pound fighter regardless of what you had to do to yourself to make the weight.

It seems to me that the more you struggle to make weight, wouldn't have much of an effect on your ability to take a punch

Comment

Working...
                    X