Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lou DiBella on Sergio vs Golovkin: 'A fight that economically makes no sense'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is why Sergio fans and Floyd haters need to stop with the "Floyd is ducking Sregio" crap.

Sergio, Sergio's promoter, and Sergio's fans all say Golovkin there is no money in that fight, no one knows him, and it's a pointless fight. But then they seem ready to possibly fight Martin Murray. Sure Murray is a Top 10 MW, would be a decent win for Sergio. But he's in no way seen as a good fight or possible threat. Golovkin is the biggest fight and threat to Sergio at MW right now, yet he doesn't want to fight him and his team start acting like he's a PPV star now or some s**t.

So Floyd is ducking Sergio, a fighter two weight classes away from him in size. But Sergio isn't ducking Golovkin, his biggest threat in the same division and around the same size as Sergio.
    Last edited by 4Corners; 11-12-2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Django~ View Post
      You didn't make a point. You came in here whining and waited until 4 pages to quote some random posters thoughts.

Martin Murray is a nobody.

Martin Murray is not a draw.

Martin Murray is not a cash cow.

Martin Murray is not a good fighter.

So why couldnt they fight GGG again?

he's better than murray and there's much more risk involved. the monetary reward may not be much better, if better at all, but the esteem of the fans would certainly be huge. that said, who cares about the esteem of fans? it's just the fans.

if i'm lou dibella i'm not depending on the fans acceptance to pay my bills. i'm depending on the money. and i'm not risking martinez, who i built for years, against a very good fighter like golovkin, unless the money is right.

Comment

And let me add this. I get taking a tune up or taking a stay busy. But dont go acting like some big bad ass feared dude calling out WW's and JMW's and then refuse to fight GGG because "who the **** knows him and hes not a draw"....only to fight Martin Murray.

Come on thats BS and I knew this would happen.
        Last edited by B.U.R.N.E.R; 11-12-2012, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
          We don't get to see contracts, or know if GGG would have gone to Argentina.

If GGG made Martinez good money at this point, the fight would be made.
          The point is that neither does Martin Murray.

So the issue is that they're taking an easier fight for about the same, if not less money. Which comes into ducking territory.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            he's better than murray and there's much more risk involved. the monetary reward may not be much better, if better at all, but the esteem of the fans would certainly be huge. that said, who cares about the esteem of fans? it's just the fans.

if i'm lou dibella i'm not depending on the fans acceptance to pay my bills. i'm depending on the money. and i'm not risking martinez, who i built for years, against a very good fighter like golovkin, unless the money is right.
            Maybe Sergio getting rocked against Jr shook up DiBellas confidence. Martinez would still be favored and would most likely win if he stays on his feet but he would have to go to hell and back to win and thats what I want to see. The last war he was in was against Williams in the first fight.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
              Martinez is definitely #1, but I wouldn't say Golovkin is #2.

they're undoubtedly the two best MW in the world in my eyes. golovkin doesn't have the resume, though. quillin has a better resume. so did junior.

on the eye test, though, it's martinez and golovkin, and then everybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Django~ View Post
                Geale, Stum, Golovkin

None of them really separated themselves from the pack imo.
                I think Geale separated himself by beating Sturm (whom I had at #2). I think Macklin/Golovkin/Quillin are somewhat interchangeable at the 3/4/5 spots. Who do I feel is the most dangerous to Martinez? I think Golovkin is.

Comment

Sergio has yet to face the other good MW's in the division. If you rank JCC without factoring in his fake belt and his name then he is the 6th or 7th best fighter in the division at best. DiBella has done well molding him into a name, but eventually he's going to have to step up before he retires. I don't see Golovkin going anywhere anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
                    Sergio has yet to face the other good MW's in the division. If you rank JCC without factoring in his fake belt and his name then he is the 6th or 7th best fighter in the division at best. DiBella has done well molding him into a name, but eventually he's going to have to step up before he retires. I don't see Golovkin going anywhere anytime soon.
                    All hate aside

, Chavez may not be the number 2 guy in the division but he's more proven than what people think ARE the better ones. Jr has a better resume than Pirog (Jacobs slayer lol), GGG, Quillin, etc. Martinez is fighting in Argentina...did you guys REALLY expect him to fight GGG...in Argentina? He could fight a legit MW in Murray, have a show, make the same amount of money and keep his name intact while he waits for a profitable fight. It's not a duck and I love how people say "he is trying to pick on 154 lounders! What a bully!" Yet Sergio himself calls himself a 154 pounder... Floyd fanatics have this unreasonable fear of Martinez for some reason its ridiculous. Dibella doesnt want Martinez to fight anyone who could beat him AND keep him from getting paid. You think Martinez is afraid? The dude who initially said hed fight Ward at a catchweight before Dibella jumped in and did an Arum and basically said "don listen to him that aint happening". Martinez is all class, it's a shame anyone could even hate this dude. GGG wants what Martinez wasnt given, but earned. GGG is a great fighter he'll get there, but nobody is going to fight him because he's too high risk/low reward. He could always move up if he's unhappy... Martinez did...Ward wants to as well..

People act like 1 hbo showing made GGG this household name. Why fight GGG when you can fight Murray for the same.. In argentina? :|... Jeopardize a potential fight with Cotto, Floyd or Canelo over GGG? That's why you're not promoting. We can hate Arum, Dibella, all these promoters but at the end pf the day it's a business. No need to be butt hurt.... Implying a fighter is legitimately scared of another is crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
                      All hate aside

, Chavez may not be the number 2 guy in the division but he's more proven than what people think ARE the better ones. Jr has a better resume than Pirog (Jacobs slayer lol), GGG, Quillin, etc. Martinez is fighting in Argentina...did you guys REALLY expect him to fight GGG...in Argentina?

He could fight a legit MW in Murray, have a show, make the same amount of money and keep his name intact while he waits for a profitable fight. It's not a duck and I love how people say "he is trying to pick on 154 lounders! What a bully!" Yet Sergio himself calls himself a 154 pounder... Floyd fanatics have this unreasonable fear of Martinez for some reason its ridiculous. Dibella doesnt want Martinez to fight anyone who could beat him AND keep him from getting paid. You think Martinez is afraid? The dude who initially said hed fight Ward at a catchweight before Dibella jumped in and did an Arum and basically said "don listen to him that aint happening". Martinez is all class, it's a shame anyone could even hate this dude. GGG wants what Martinez wasnt given, but earned. GGG is a great fighter he'll get there, but nobody is going to fight him because he's too high risk/low reward. He could always move up if he's unhappy... Martinez did...Ward wants to as well..

People act like 1 hbo showing made GGG this household name. Why fight GGG when you can fight Murray for the same.. In argentina? :|... Jeopardize a potential fight with Cotto, Floyd or Canelo over GGG? That's why you're not promoting. We can hate Arum, Dibella, all these promoters but at the end pf the day it's a business. No need to be butt hurt.... Implying a fighter is legitimately scared of another is crazy.

Sergio? Is that you? I dont know where to start with this post..lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X