No announcement yet.

Mark Breland vs Floyd Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    Breland was one of the best amateur fighters EVER. His record was 110-1. You can look that up.
    I have always felt that Breland's success as an amateur had much more to do with his physical size than any extraordinary abilities. Granted he was very skilled, but I don't feel he was the most skilled amateur ever.

Breland was a freak of nature that used his size and power to create what amounted to an unfair advantage.

That was all good when he only had to fight 4 rounds amateur fights, but in the pro's he couldn't stay away for 12 rounds. Notice how every big fight he was in that went more than 8 rounds, he lost.

That basically what it boils down too. Breland couldn't stay away for 12 rounds.

Still a great fighter, but not as good as Ice makes him out to be.

Comment

I am not saying Mark was "great," I am just saying that at his best he was more than a handful and it took a certain style to beat him. He had many, many gifts...many say at the end of the day Mark was too nice to be a fighter and knowing him a bit I could say there might be something to that. I dont care of he was great, average opr terrible, his jab right hand, the 1-2, when it landed flush...was not something any welterweight out there is going to swallow without blinking, believe me.

Comment

I agree. Starling was a defensive wizard too. That fight would definitely go the distance.
        I've heard Wright modeled his defense off of Starling... who's is better?

Comment

Breland was one of the best amateur fighters EVER. His record was 110-1. You can look that up.
          Who was the lucky #1 in that glamorous record?

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
            I've heard Wright modeled his defense off of Starling... who's is better?

Close call, but I'd say Winky.

Comment

Originally posted by DWiens421 View Post
              Who was the lucky #1 in that glamorous record?
              Scully will have to field that question. He is the undisputed expert on amateur stars of the 1980's.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
                I am not saying Mark was "great," I am just saying that at his best he was more than a handful and it took a certain style to beat him. He had many, many gifts...many say at the end of the day Mark was too nice to be a fighter and knowing him a bit I could say there might be something to that. I dont care of he was great, average opr terrible, his jab right hand, the 1-2, when it landed flush...was not something any welterweight out there is going to swallow without blinking, believe me.

Despite how lopsided this poll is, you could be sure that Floyd would fight Breland with great respect. His top priority would be avoiding or neutralizing his jab.

Comment

Pretty Boy is no fool, he would definitely show Mark big respect. He would HAVE TO. Mark was 110-1 with the only loss coming in 1981 at the nationals to Darryl Anthony. Mark won the world title a year later and took over the weight class.... he also scored a third round stoppage over Anthony in a rematch (as PROFESSIONALS)

Comment

mark in the amateurs, floyd in the pros....

Comment

Working...
                    X