Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Despite his losses in 2014 do you think Mauricio Herrera earned Fighter of the Year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's up there along with PAC, Walters, and inoue

Comment

Great thread!

In my opinion he deserves it even more because of the controversial decisions.

The Danny Garcia decision wasn't even close in the official score cards (A fight which would have won herrera his first full title belt/s) and then to some how not be sick of the sport that punishes you both in and out of the ring just for not having the punching power others naturally do. And still have the enough will power to work out, and enough focus on train. And beat an interm titel holder, and then beat a great young pospect. Only to again come out short in the scorecards because of his lack of Judge noticing power.

Mauricio Herrera for not immediately retiring after the Jose Benavidez decision gets my vote for fighter of the year!

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
        he lost to ruslan. if we are talking about bad decisions that was certainly one. also he lost to mike dallas jr but........
        Disagree, having watched it the other day. Close fight which could've gone either way. Ruslan landed the harder shots but scoring by rounds he was outworked on a number of occasions. Had it to Herrera by a point that time, could see it to Provo by a point or two also.

Anyhow, on topic, Crawford is my FOTY, so I'd be matching Herrera's record up with his wins.

Beltran - Garcia
        Gamboa - Benavidez
        Burns - Perez

It's definitely close because Garcia is a huge win, arguably prime fighter coming off a big win himself, but Benavidez and Perez weren't ranked top 10. Not sure I'd choose Herrera, but I wouldn't complain.
        Last edited by Weebler I; 12-28-2014, 11:51 AM.

Comment

No he still got that L

Comment

The Danny fight and two prospects is not enough to be considered fighter of the year.

TC, Lee and Kov are much more deserving

Comment

Not sure if he should win it, but he should have definitely been in the conversation among the other nominees.
              Originally posted by daggum View Post
              he lost to ruslan. if we are talking about bad decisions that was certainly one.
              You're high.

PS: Herrera-Provodnikov had the most disgraceful compubox numbers I've ever seen. They had the audacity to claim Provodnikov outjabbed Herrera. One of the reasons the provo was robbed by herrera myth still looms.
              Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 12-28-2014, 12:59 PM.

Comment

The kid is a tough out for any belt holder

Slick, tough, unconventional, & fearless.
                He's one of those fighter's that just makes popular guys look really bad.
                As long as he is what I mentioned above, Herrera will stay a gatekeeper, and a live dog on fight cards!
                Fans love him because he will bring it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                  Not sure if he should win it, but he should have definitely been in the conversation among the other nominees.

You're high.

PS: Herrera-Provodnikov had the most disgraceful compubox numbers I've ever seen. They had the audacity to claim Provodnikov outjabbed Herrera. One of the reasons the provo was robbed by herrera myth still looms.
                  and i'm sure you scored pac-marquez 3 for pac right? or is this another case of changing your mind depening on who's fighting?

Comment

Originally posted by TOBYLEE1 View Post
                    The Danny fight and two prospects is not enough to be considered fighter of the year.

TC, Lee and Kov are much more deserving
                    Ahh...forgot about kovalev. He's in my top three as well

Comment

Yes he is, or at least one of the top three candidates.

Comment

Working...
                      X