No announcement yet.

Boxing's biggest myth exposed: "Calzaghe just slaps"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
    spot on, Eubank fought Benn twice, Collins twice, Watson twice - and was dropped by Watson but Calzaghe is the guy he always talks about as being the hard puncher.
    Eubank stated just last week on Ringside that Calzaghe doesn't hit anywhere near as hard as Benn.

Which of course, is plain to see he doesn't.

Comment

13 people out of 46 made it to the final bell
      Last edited by jermainerambo; 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jermainerambo View Post
        13 people out of 46 made it to the final bell
        Did you mention 40 were bums !

Comment

Eubank is a person just like anyone else. He is capable of lying just like anyone else. I'm not gonna believe every word he says just because he was a boxer sorry. Calzaghe slapped like a b1tch. If you want to take somebody's word over video evidence go ahead. But don't expect smart people to do the same.

Comment

I'm disgusting by the lack of respect legends like Calzaghe get around here.

Comment

Lots of people have stated Calzaghe was a very hard puncher, you can add Byron Mitchell to the testimonials. Now not many of these guys are world beaters, but guys like Brewer and Mitchell were solid, they fought or sparred everyone and anyone. Calzaghe didn't sit down on his shots, and did slap, and his technique was pretty ugly at times, but you can just tell he was heavy handed. He hurt and staggered Lacy several times, he hurt Kessler to the body, he floored Eubanks, he steadied Bika in the first round. There are plenty of examples to prove he was far from feather fisted.

His technique was based around combinations and speed, now did he have the power of a Ray Leonard who possessed and used those same attributes?...No.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish_Scotland View Post
                . The Americans are still "butt hurt" that he slapped **** into a few of their heroes. Of which you can judge one of those fighters relevance by the fact his ugly ped ridden puss is still displayed at the top of the site.
                Do you mean Bernard Hopkins? Surely hes up there because hes acheived impossible feats, not because hes a great boxer now. Hes nearly 50 now, so of course he doesnt have world relevance like he used to when he was thirtysomething. Chances are noone will match his feats for a century.

Shame Calzaghe cant claim the same and whose only record (defences of a title that didnt even have relevance when he won it) will be eclipsed by better SMWs within a decade or so.

Although Zaghes did well for a single title champion, dont get me wrong, even if it was the 90s version of the WBU title that nobody wanted until the mid-2000s.
                Last edited by DreamFighter; 01-15-2013, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BRITISH LlON View Post
                  Here are some quotes of people who were asked about Calzaghe:
                  (I got this from another site)

Tony Booth

''I thought I'd been hit by a lorry''

Karl Barwise

''This kid has everything''

Spencer Alton

''I've never been hit so hard and so often''

Andy Flute

"After working with Robin Reid last month I was already buzzing, but when the call came to work with Joe, well he's the best on the planet," he told Seconds Out.

"I was invited down to work with Joe for five days and I've enjoyed every minute. This has been a fantastic opportunity for me.

"I can see why he's the champ now. Joe punches hard and fast''

Tony Quigley

''Calzaghe can punch very hard''

Nicky Piper

''A lot of people think Joe can't punch but he's actually very heavy handed''

Enzo Maccarinelli

“The hardest puncher I fought (long pause) that’s a real tough one. I dished out a lot more punishment than I ever took. But I’d have to say Joe Calzaghe. Joe was not a one-punch KO kind of guy, but he overwhelmed guys; he had those ridiculous combinations!''

Charles Brewer
                  Interesting stuff because I recently stumbled upon a Calzaghe quote
                  "yeah I've heard theres some joker on the internet called British Lion,its laughable really because the guy claims I hit hard and comes up with quotes from bums in my defence... all he has to do is show the bruises at the back of his throat which I gave him"

Comment

Warren probably tucked him a bit of extra cash for the publicity lol

Comment

Originally posted by BRITISH LlON View Post
                      1. its not a myth.
                      2. even if it was a myth its far from boxing biggest.
                      3. just because he hits hard when he does turn his shots over doesnt mean he always does. you can slap with one shot and punch correctly with the next.
                      4. just because he didnt slap early in his career doesnt mean he didnt pick it up later. in fact you calzaghe fans always said he didnt start slapping until later in his career after all his hand problems.

why do you calzaghe fans go on and on about this? saying he slaps doesnt mean every punch he ever threw was a slap, but he did have a tendency to do it. thats a fact.

Comment

Working...
                      X