Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Mayweather fights Canelo at 154 would it be for the Ring/Lineal Title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
    It was name wise but thats it

Why was cotto #1 of 154 after beating Foreman in the first place?

And then why wasnt he bumped down after fighting Mayorga and Marg, 2 unranked fighters?
    I dunno but it was more than name wise. Cotto entered the division beating a top ranked fighter. The division just got stronger around him. But Mayweather over cotto is still the most significant win in the division by far this year. Or even last year for that matter. I don't see how anyone questions that.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
      I dunno but it was more than name wise. Cotto entered the division beating a top ranked fighter. The division just got stronger around him. But Mayweather over cotto is still the most significant win in the division by far this year. Or even last year for that matter. I don't see how anyone questions that.
      Definitely the most significant...
      He saying that they're other fighters in the division who are more proven at that weightclass but so is boxing. If SOG moved up to LHW should he be ranked lower than Dawson or Cloud or Cleverly???

Comment

Originally posted by DuttyAlacrity View Post
        He saying that they're other fighters in the division who are more proven at that weightclass but so is boxing. If SOG moved up to LHW should he be ranked lower than Dawson or Cloud or Cleverly???
        Chk that! Dawson is the champ so that makes sense... My bad. But the same stands for Cloud and Cleverly and those other dudes tho

Comment

yeah until he beats a couple top guys there. Donaire moved to from 118 to 122 and he didn't automatically become #1. He beat Vazquez Jr & Mathebula and Donaire is now #3 as a result. I think being #1 in the previous division should help you get a top spot faster but you gotta beat some guys first. Floyd being #1 after one single fight is a lil crazy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
            Cmon it was all name wise

If that wasnt Cotto who beat Yuri Foreman, then that fighter wouldnt even crack top 5 let alone #1

Hopkins got dropped from top 10 rankings for fighting RJJ, but Cotto keeps #1 fighting Mayorga and then Marg

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
              yeah until he beats a couple top guys there. Donaire moved to from 118 to 122 and he didn't automatically become #1. He beat Vazquez Jr & Mathebula and Donaire is now #3 as a result. I think being #1 in the previous division should help you get a top spot faster but you gotta beat some guys first. Floyd being #1 after one single fight is a lil crazy to me.
              Weaker Division... Floyd lower than Lara after beating Cotto would be ludicrous.

Comment

Assuming Cotto beats Trout which is a fairly big assumption, but that would knock Trout down and raise Cotto up, but since Floyd already beat Cotto that would just solidify his spot.

Now I don't know who Canelo is going to fight and I don't even know if this fight is possible currently but lets say for example he beats Kirkland or someone else from the middle of the top ten that raises him up and keeps him highly ranked.

So if Floyd beats Canelo, that would be two very highly ranked wins so he could certainly end up ring champ but I think he would have to clean up a bit more t really be recognized as lineal, he could probably wait for the riffraff to get cleared out further and fight the next guy then that would be enough if he fought twice next year, which he doesn't normally do but isn't impossible.

Comment

Weaker Division... Floyd lower than Lara after beating Cotto would be ludicrous.
                  So what if its a weak division? Other guys have better wins

I dont understand

Comment

Cotto and Canelo should go down on the 154 ratings. Both are just ranked that high due to their popularity and it sucks. Cotto should drop for losing and Canelo for fighting someone not even being a 154 pounder.

Comment

Lara is prolly being shafted a little... Not sure about Molina
                      Molina probably has the best case for being ranked number two in the division. He beat Cintron when he mattered, he got screwed against Kirkland, and he arguably beat Lara.

Both Molina and Lara should be above Cotto right now. They have the best wins/fights they should have won of everyone in the division.
                      Last edited by bojangles1987; 09-18-2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X