No announcement yet.

The official EURO 2016 thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Money_May View Post
    Ronaldo has proven himself as the GOAT. Just like I always said he would.
    lol no bias there then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phenom View Post
      UEFA should just acknowledge this Euro as a failed experiment and go back to the old format
      I agree. I understand the irony of a Welshman criticising the expansion of the tournament but it is clear the 24 team format has diluted the quality of the competition. I enjoyed this tournament more than any other for obvious reasons, but there's no way I can pretend the quality was good.

Including qualifiers the teams Portugal played to become European champions were Albania, Denmark, Armenia, Serbia, Iceland, Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Poland, Wales and France, hardly European football Murderers Row.

The format won't be changed though, it's all about many countries UEFA can flog TV rights to
      Last edited by Welsh Jon; 07-12-2016, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• I can't believe people are trying to use this tournament to further hype up Ronaldo. He's obviously had an ATG career, but he had a poor Euros.

Comment

• Originally posted by Welsh Jon View Post
          I can't believe people are trying to use this tournament to further hype up Ronaldo. He's obviously had an ATG career, but he had a poor Euros.
          It's typical.

You see the same reaction in NSB after every big fight, posters proclaiming the winner as an ATG, blah blah etc...

As you said, aside from one game (Hungary), Ronaldo did very poor (for him) just like Messi 2 years ago in Brazil.

Their teams did very good, but they played below the expectations, they always do.

That's what separates them from ATGs like Maradona, Pele or Zidane. During the big games, they were the x factors, thanks to them their national teams won what they won.

Who's better, Ronaldo or Messi, is a personal preference IMO. They're clearly the two best footballers in the world, no one else comes close.

But neither is GOAT, like some people in this thread suggested.

I personally think Messi is better but that's just my opinion.

Comment

I agree. I understand the irony of a Welshman criticising the expansion of the tournament but it is clear the 24 team format has diluted the quality of the competition. I enjoyed this tournament more than any other for obvious reasons, but there's no way I can pretend the quality was good.

Including qualifiers the teams Portugal played to become European champions were Albania, Denmark, Armenia, Serbia, Iceland, Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Poland, Wales and France, hardly European football Murderers Row.

The format won't be changed though, it's all about many countries UEFA can flog TV rights to
            They could even keep 24 team but set up they'll have to have another group. But that will be a scheduling challenge.

A draw is NOT a good result in a tournament.

That's what ruined this tournament. A draw was a good result.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
              They could even keep 24 team but set up they'll have to have another group. But that will be a scheduling challenge.

A draw is NOT a good result in a tournament.

That's what ruined this tournament. A draw was a good result.
              Haha so true.

The new European Champions didn't win a single game in the regular time until semi finals

That's just sad.

Comment

• Big Sam is the man for the England job lets be honest here.. He has set teams up to beat superior ones before.. so i don't buy the he doesnt know tactics crap people spout..

Look at Portugal.. crap but hard to beat

He can motivate also.. lets be honest hodgson is hardly the inspiring type.

Oh and he will take any flack away from the players.. which is helpful cause they are *******

Talk all the **** you want about him.. but we wouldn't be getting done over by the likes of Iceland with him at the helm

Comment

• Griezzman definitely deserved player of the tournament. He has potential to be great, but I dunno yet...

Comment

• Originally posted by MOTHERDUCKER View Post
                    Big Sam is the man for the England job lets be honest here.. He has set teams up to beat superior ones before.. so i don't buy the he doesnt know tactics crap people spout..

Look at Portugal.. crap but hard to beat

He can motivate also.. lets be honest hodgson is hardly the inspiring type.

Oh and he will take any flack away from the players.. which is helpful cause they are *******

Talk all the **** you want about him.. but we wouldn't be getting done over by the likes of Iceland with him at the helm
                    Hodgson looked like a very weak tired old man out there. Didn't even want to take it on the chin.

If we imploded at a tournament under Sam which we probably will. Our players are natural fannys and there is nothing that can be done about them. But Big Sam is going to throw them all under the bus. And they will deserve it. You should never forget how to trap a ball as professional footballer. That second half against Iceland was the worst football by any side in a tournament that was absolutely terrible.

I am looking for some Mike Bassett style rants. Only without a World Cup semi-final and with Sam ironing out Wayne Rooney.

Comment

I can't believe people are trying to use this tournament to further hype up Ronaldo. He's obviously had an ATG career, but he had a poor Euros.
                      Its wierd really.

He didnt have a bad Euros by any stretch, but it was hardly scintillating.

As a standalone player he didnt set the world alight like some great players of the past have done.

He also had pretty much no impact in the final (through no fault of his own) and most of the praise he is currently getting seems to be based on that result (ie, Portugal winning an international tournament)

Comment

Working...
                      X