Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"SOG" Ward vs "King" Krusher Kovalev @ 175 lbs / 12.5 stone: Who wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BrushMyHair! View Post
    Prime Hopkins makes Kovalev look like Pavlik and GGG is the most dangerous fighter in boxing.
    Prime B-Hop loses just like he lost the fight now.

Age has nothing to do with why he lost.

Comment

• Prime B-Hop loses just like he lost the fight now.

I respect Kov but you can't honestly think Hopkins being alomst 50 years old didn't take away from his performance in some way. At this stage of his career Hopkins relies more on experience than physical abilities.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstborn View Post
        I respect Kov but you can't honestly think Hopkins being alomst 50 years old didn't take away from his performance in some way. At this stage of his career Hopkins relies more on experience than physical abilities.
        He was experienced enough in his prime to rely on experience then as well. And it's his boxing style, his high ring IQ which makes him effective. His slick defense and ability to control the pace of a fight. Kovalev is just a stylistic nightmare for him for one, and two, he has the balls to come straight for him and take him out or constantly cut him off and pressure him. B-Hop loses to him any night 8/10 times imo.

Comment

• Before the Hopkins fight, people were telling that Kovalev is Kelly Pavlik 2.0 and that Hopkins gonna school that eurodemon

Comment

• Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
            The problem is, even if Ward is a step ahead, he will still take punishment adjusting to Kovalev's speed and rythym. I see even early rounds with Ward adjusting first, then Kovalev re-adjusting, then Ward re-adjusting again in the mid-late rounds, and Kovalev figuring him out and just punishing him. Kovalev isn't one dimensional, and he is a smart fighter and he is more economical with his punch selection than someone who is content with staying mid range and popping off jabs as noise and a deterrent to his opponent developing advances. Kovalev will come forward and throw efficient, hard, accurate shots, and Ward will take punishment throughout the course of the fight. In the round it takes to figure out Kovalev's current pace in the fight, Ward probably walks back to his corner bleeding from both eyes and nose. That's the difference. Ward will land on Kovalev, especially later in the fight, but he won't have that effect on Kovalev. If he doesn't get put to sleep or the corner/ref spare him, he has to win on points, and I think it's a close fight if it goes to the cards, though I can see Ward winning it legitly, he is the more accurate puncher and the faster puncher, and Kovalev while good defensively and smart, is willing to eat punches to deliver his own, and he should, because his shots will have much more effect than vica versa.

taking punishment is a part of the sport. People forget Kovalev will be in the ring getting hit as well.

Kovalev may be the best boxer-puncher in the game. Maybe the most accurate too but he has never fought someone with a multi layered defense like Ward. He even acknowledged that.

People are underrating Ward's toughness and punch resistance, and its mostly based off fights that happened early in his career. Before he was even a contender. He was dropped onced and buzzed but he hasnt wobbled or appeared hurt sense. Fighters fill out and get sturdy when they attain their "man strength"

The fight will be tactical with both trying to find the best range to operate. Wards versatility, and footwork gives him an edge because he gives a variety of looks

I think Ward may survive a kd or some shaky spots to win the fight in 7-5, 8-4 fashion.

This may be the first time Kov fights a fighter with a jab just as good or better than his own. Ward jabs to the body, hea,d counters you with it, etc. His ability to make you miss and pay stands out to me.

Ward by Dec. 7-5 or 8-4 type where he seperates himself by round 7-8 with his accuracy and being harder to hit

Comment

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
              I was fairly certain Ward would win it easily, but after that last performance, Im not so sure now. I cant tell if it was just rust or if he has slowed down due to age.
              Or the fact that he isn't as good as something that and he couldn't clinch as freely as he wanted against a stronger guy.

Comment

He hasn't lost yet, but everyone's time will come, until it doesn't. Kovalev does have that one punch power, but he also is a very good boxer and will land combinations on Ward. Ward will be a bloody mess by round 7 or 8, this is a fight you don't take your children or spouse to see, you don't even let your kids watch at home. The kind of brutality that would happen on fight night, that's not for everyone man.
                Adonis stevenson is the biggest puncher in the division...one shot wise....he has high light reel one punch kayos. Many come out of no where.

Kov has plenty power but it isnt the one punch kind that Adonis possesses. He breaks you down, all his shots are sharp, and he is so well balanced,

His lack of head movement against a fighter with such a good jab and countering ability opens my eyes. Ward is a much sharper, accurate and faster puncher than Pascal. When Pascal opened up it was not hard to land his wide, sweeping counters on kov.

Also Kov had to beat him like he stole something before the 2 stoppages. Pascal is tough but if a 1 punch hitter is landing that frequently, you should be out of their sooner. It was hard to watch but Ive never seen stevenson or GGG land like that on someone and they last that long. Old Popkins with the whole 12 on guile, experience and toughness. Ward is Hopkins 2.0....all the know how, but near his prime and a better athlete. Also Ward is hungry

close fight but I think wards toughness is being underrated by some and his will to win and that Kov power is being overrated

Comment

Prime B-Hop loses just like he lost the fight now.

When even was Hopkins prime?
                  I'd say from his late 30's onwards but I still don't think that version of him would beat Kovalev he just looked lost and he had no clue what to do against Kovalev.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freedom2016 View Post
                    When even was Hopkins prime?
                    I'd say from his late 30's onwards but I still don't think that version of him would beat Kovalev he just looked lost and he had no clue what to do against Kovalev.
                    Hopkins prime was from like 1997-2001

he was much more aggressive while still being very good defensively. He got you out of there too.

Past 2001 he began to rely on experience, being crafty and hard to look good against

The Hopkins that fought Antwun Echols, Keith Holmes and Trinidad is the best Hopkins there ever was. Thats why a rematch with Jones was being talked about.

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                      taking punishment is a part of the sport. People forget Kovalev will be in the ring getting hit as well.

Kovalev may be the best boxer-puncher in the game. Maybe the most accurate too but he has never fought someone with a multi layered defense like Ward. He even acknowledged that.

People are underrating Ward's toughness and punch resistance, and its mostly based off fights that happened early in his career. Before he was even a contender. He was dropped onced and buzzed but he hasnt wobbled or appeared hurt sense. Fighters fill out and get sturdy when they attain their "man strength"

The fight will be tactical with both trying to find the best range to operate. Wards versatility, and footwork gives him an edge because he gives a variety of looks

I think Ward may survive a kd or some shaky spots to win the fight in 7-5, 8-4 fashion.

This may be the first time Kov fights a fighter with a jab just as good or better than his own. Ward jabs to the body, hea,d counters you with it, etc. His ability to make you miss and pay stands out to me.

Ward by Dec. 7-5 or 8-4 type where he seperates himself by round 7-8 with his accuracy and being harder to hit
                      Good post, I agree with much of what you said here and that's why it's a good fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X