Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Tyson Fury vs Wladimir Klitschko Post Fight Discussion Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kind of agree that Fury will be just emboldened to win in similar fashion again, maybe even get a stoppage if Wlad takes too many risks and that's what he'll have to do to have any chance of beating Fury. I'm annoyed for WK because I hoped he'd go out as champion but Fury proved to be much better than most people thought and of course WK is nearly 40 and was looking it in Dusseldorf and in New York the fight before.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Scott-Weiland- View Post
      Yeah, Well, that's just like your opinion, man.

Comment

• Alright this has quickly turned into the pre-fight discussion thread again..

Do we know anything about the date of the rematch yet??

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          Vlad would have to develop a lot of mobility and skills. Nothing is impossible in heavyweight boxing and as they often say: you can jab with a jabber, just not hook with a hooker... If I were Banks I would just tell Vlad to try to start out hitting him in the chest, then double up on the jab when/if he could. Just to get Vlad firing!

But one big problem to overcome is how Fury is comfortable fighting off the back leg. Vlad has to really be able to step in and not get countered. If he works it who knows? If he looks at guys like Liston who could step and punch that might get him in the right frame of mind...but again, he would have to change how he sets when he punches.
          It was just disappointing. Vlad said something about 'going to the body' prior to the fight, and he did nada. What troubled him the most was though that Fury actually had size and reach advantage, used it well and as you say, fought off the backfoot. Vladimir needs to be aggressive. A guy like Vitali would murder Fury IMO. He needs some of the viciousness from his big bro. Unfortunately Vladimir doesn't like to get hit; Vitali didn't mind eating some punches and he could take them too.

Comment

• Originally posted by beez721 View Post
            he looks alot less vulnerable and more refined than wilder but you never know for sure until he faces a big puncher with skills. he looks like the goods imo
            No really. Joshua looks quite vulnerable. A guy with a decent chin and ok power will always be trouble for Joshua. He was in huge trouble against Dillian Whyte in the second round, theres no way he could be someone like Stuverne.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Weltschmerz- View Post
              It was just disappointing. Vlad said something about 'going to the body' prior to the fight, and he did nada. What troubled him the most was though that Fury actually had size and reach advantage, used it well and as you say, fought off the backfoot. Vladimir needs to be aggressive. A guy like Vitali would murder Fury IMO. He needs some of the viciousness from his big bro. Unfortunately Vladimir doesn't like to get hit; Vitali didn't mind eating some punches and he could take them too.
              yes and to be fair to Vlad...when was the last time a fighter in the heavyweight division fought off his back leg? I can't think of any modern guys off the top of my flat head.

This is an interesting situation. It shows that Fury's family, their particular connection to prizefighting evolved a bit different. While most European coaching and styles are heavily influenced by the amateur style...Fury's family is more connected to bare knuckle principles and other technical approaches. This is why Fury looks very different and this is why he fights that way, namely the Fury's in their own tradition, have retained and disccarded different technical approaches, from the status quo.

incidently, a great analogy to this situation is Brazilian Jui Jitsu which is for all purposes a form of Judo. The Gracies ground game came because the Japanese teacher that came to them was not influenced by post war Kodokan procedures used to standerdize Judo, and other such things...Judo always had the techniques used by the Gracies but... these techniques were not emphasized at the Kodokan in Japan. So the Gracies, like Fury, used technical approaches part of the art, but not emphasized by and large in the training community.

Comment

yes and to be fair to Vlad...when was the last time a fighter in the heavyweight division fought off his back leg? I can't think of any modern guys off the top of my flat head.

This is an interesting situation. It shows that Fury's family, their particular connection to prizefighting evolved a bit different. While most European coaching and styles are heavily influenced by the amateur style...Fury's family is more connected to bare knuckle principles and other technical approaches. This is why Fury looks very different and this is why he fights that way, namely the Fury's in their own tradition, have retained and disccarded different technical approaches, from the status quo.

incidently, a great analogy to this situation is Brazilian Jui Jitsu which is for all purposes a form of Judo. The Gracies ground game came because the Japanese teacher that came to them was not influenced by post war Kodokan procedures used to standerdize Judo, and other such things...Judo always had the techniques used by the Gracies but... these techniques were not emphasized at the Kodokan in Japan. So the Gracies, like Fury, used technical approaches part of the art, but not emphasized by and large in the training community.
                Interesting post.

As you point out, judo was indeed originally a much more comprehensive martial art.

Jigoro Kano was a jujutsu practitioner, who developed judo as a new form of combat which was based on traditional techniques, introducing kuzushi (breaking balance before throwing), for example.

And indeed, one of his students went to Brazil and taught the Gracies. He was also a competitive catch wrestler in Brazil. And the Gracies developed their own style.

It is interesting the notion that Fury's style is influenced by bareknuckle boxing.
                Last edited by Drunken Cat; 12-29-2015, 03:48 PM.

Comment

A few knew how to do this in recent times. Vitali could, Lewis to an extent and then there were less known guys like Tyrell Biggs.

Comment

• The Bums of the Heavyweight Division and where did it go?

1. Klitschko
                    2. Fury
                    3. Jennings
                    Klitscho was a bum years ago when he got knocked out by Lennox Lewis, who was the last good heavyweight.
                    Fury never hurt Klitscho but just buzzed around and stayed very busy throwing meaningless jabs that gave him the win. Ortiz would knock out both Klitscho and Fury. While Klitscho has knockout power, he cannot throw many punches anymore, but mostly just stands around and threatens with his haymaker. He would be a sitting duck for Ortiz.
                    Ortiz is the freshest face with potential in the Heavyweight Division. He's got the power, diversity of offense and quickness to clean out the division.
                    Heavyweight boxing has been decimated by the NFL and NBA for years. That's why the best prospects come from outside the U.S.
                    I believe without a doubt that the NFL has dozens if not hundreds of monster athletes who could destroy Klitscho with a few months of training. These guys are super athletes with size and off-the-charts quickness. Most of them are black by the way, but imagine if JJ Watt had gone into boxing instead?
                    Continue to look overseas for the best heavyweights.

Comment

• Originally posted by denium View Post
                      Just like you thought Wladimir would knock him out!

Fury is by far and away the most talented boxer in the HW division, and as long as he stays motivated, he beats all of them.

Will he stay motivated though? I'm not so sure.
                      I don't think so. I get really strong Riddick Bowe vibes from Fury and I think they'll follow a similar path, a blazing short prime then burnt out by the time they're thirty.

Fury's a lot more defensively minded than Bowe, though, so it'll be his out of the ring habits that'll erode his skills, not the amount of punishment he takes inside it.

Comment

Working...
                      X