Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXTREME BOXING of the ANCIENT WORLD

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's several factors worse than barefist boxing. There are lines of metal studs (which sometimes would be ****es instead...)

I'm pretty sure the Greeks did some of the stuff they did just so someone would look back on it and think "Damn we're *******"

Comment

"It was considered a sign of the greatest skill in a boxer to conquer without receiving any wounds, so that the two great points in this game were to inflict blows, and at the same time not to expose oneself to any danger."

I found this to be the most interesting part. Hit and not get hit was the law even in ancient times even when the sport was still real savage.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        And Vitali would have shook them off all night long :cool9:
        Hey,... this is a serious thread....... are we all losing it ??????

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post

That's several factors worse than barefist boxing. There are lines of metal studs (which sometimes would be ****es instead...)

I'm pretty sure the Greeks did some of the stuff they did just so someone would look back on it and think "Damn we're *******"
          Good post mate. Yes I thought a thread like this would demonstrate where our sport comes from. It can be quite sobering to think that the death rate in Greek times was very very high, and then the Romans came along and made the sport suit them, they made it far more barbaric. Marghegiano told me that boxing was a major part of their military training, the average Roman Legionaries day was totally physical. To survive as a soldier in those times, toughness and bravery was everything. Boxing was different in the Legions than the Olympic version,........... You had to stand there with another soldier, and trade blow after blow,..... and avoiding the punishment just brought REAL punishment.... Boxing's sole purpose was to inure one to pain,...... they did this on most days when there was no campaigning. When you think about it, it was steel that you really had to worry about, you know, things that take off limbs and disembowel. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- there was no room for ******* back then.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
            "It was considered a sign of the greatest skill in a boxer to conquer without receiving any wounds, so that the two great points in this game were to inflict blows, and at the same time not to expose oneself to any danger."

I found this to be the most interesting part. Hit and not get hit was the law even in ancient times even when the sport was still real savage.
            Well with the Caestus, with it's protruding metal bits, took pieces of flesh with it. Imagine 12 x 3 min rounds wearing those ???...... you wouldn't live long if you took too many blows.

Comment

Working...
            X