Thinking of switching to Android

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
    Mak - The noteII

You know whats funny Abos... going from the iphone to the note would be ridiculous but after having my galaxy, going to the note isnt out of the question.

The screen is ****ing amazing, and you can legit watch a video on that thing, not that you cant on the s3..

damn you, Reed....here i was all set on the Galaxy and now im gonna end up researching another phone

Comment

Ill be honest I think the S3 is the best phone on the market... but when my buddy whipped out his note, I had a tinge of jealousy

Comment

Spoken with true ignorance.

I have two iphones, ones a music player for my one year old.. the other is in some kitchen drawer. I also have an ipad, which our 5 year old uses to color pictures on.

There's nothing the iphone can do that an android cant...
        Spoken with true envy.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigg Happpy! View Post
          Spoken with true envy.
          Envy of what?

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
            I know there are a lot of Droid fans here so I'm asking for some advice. My sister got a Galaxy S3 about a month ago and I've been playing around on it. At first I was really impressed with it. The screen is large and beautiful and I think it's pretty easy to get used to. The camera is sick too. It seems better than my 4S camera even though they both are supposed to be 8MP.

The more I played with it, I'm not so sure I want to switch though. I have a jailbroken iPhone 4S and it is modded up the ass. I have so many tweaks and it really operates the way I like it. If the iPhone had a screen as big as the S3, I'd probably stay with them TBH.

So basically, I want some advice on how to get the S3 running how I like.

My first issue with the S3 is the orientation. When you switch from landscape to portrait or vice versa, it is slower than dog shit! It takes over a second to switch and that really bothers me. On the iPhone, when you switch orientation it is much faster. I suppose it's a minor annoyance that I'd get used to. I also have it set so that if I'm looking at my home pages, the icons rotate depending on if I'm in landscape or portrait. I really like that feature (only available with Jailbreak) but I haven't been able to find anything like it for Droid.

The other question I have is about quick access to the camera from the lock screen. You have to twist the phone in this awkward motion for it to come up. I was digging through the settings to see if that could be changed and couldn't find anything. Is there another way to access the camera from the lock screen other than twisting the phone like a spastic ***got? On my phone, I have 8 different sliders that I can set to open any app right from the lock screen.

Another thing I find annoying is the lack of auto-correct. Yeah, It can be annoying at times but I find that most of the time, it corrects things the way I want it to. It doesn't seem to be available on the S3. I read something about apple suing samsung over a patent and they removed it. Is there anything in the play store like a different keyboard that can rectify this? It brings up suggested words when you are typing but I find that annoying. I'd rather have it just correct rather than having to tap on the right word. I have used swipe texting and I hate it so don't even go there.

To get the task switcher on a droid, you press and hold the home button. To get Siri (or whatever the fuck it's called on a droid) you double tap the home button. This is the complete opposite of the iPhone, which is what I'm used to. Is there any way to change that?

I realize that I should probably be asking this stuff on an Android forum but I know there are a lot of droid guys on here so I'm starting here first. I know this might seem like nitpicking but Android is supposed to be all about customization so I'm interested to see if I can get most of this stuff sorted. From what I've read, you can do most things with an un-rooted droid that you can do with a jailborken iphone. Has anyone rooted their droid here?

I'm most likely going to get the S4 this summer but I want to sort some of this stuff out first.
            Some of these stuff I am going to tell you are paid apps. Of course you can download apk's to get them free, or use the trial version.

Not sure about switching landscape to portrait since I hate it changing. However I know that Nova Launcher allows for icons to be modded, as well as the look etc... So when you turn, the icons do the same way. I assume that is what you mean.

A Launcher is basically the set up of the icons, the apps, how it looks when you shift pages etc... the standard one is OK, but after using Nova for about a week, it is much better.

Widget locker is a paid app, you can add sliders to it, from flash light, sound on/off/vibrate to camera. I am sure you have the camera as standard on the lock screen when I didn't have wicket locker.

Trial Swift Key 3 Keybaord. Youtube it.

It will save you so much time, is ten times better than any stock keyboard.

You can swipe aka Flow, which is actually addictive. However you have the options of 3 words that pop up above. If you often say 'I Love You'

If you type I, Love will show up in the middle suggestion. This way is much more accurate than auto correct or anything else. It's also a lot faster, it learns what you say and you can literally write convo's by typing one or two letters and then the suggestion.
            Touchpal is better for swipe and auto correct, but I guess you hate the swipe thing. Best try the various keyboards out there, but touchpal has auto correct which is pretty decent.

I don't think you can change the function of Samsung Voice. However Googling may give you an answer on that. One long press is for task manager, and 2 taps for S Voice. I am use to it after an Apple product and TBH I use the task manager quite a bit, and never ever use voice searching etc... so one long press is better than 2 presses for me.

Comment

Mak - The noteII

You know whats funny Abos... going from the iphone to the note would be ridiculous but after having my galaxy, going to the note isnt out of the question.

The screen is ****ing amazing, and you can legit watch a video on that thing, not that you cant on the s3..
              Yeah, I could see that. When I first used my buddy's S3 I was like WTF this thing is huge!! But after putting in some time on my sister's phone, I'm loving the size of the S3. My iPhone feels dinky now that I've put some time in on the S3.

Originally posted by TensionKiller View Post
              Some of these stuff I am going to tell you are paid apps. Of course you can download apk's to get them free, or use the trial version.

Not sure about switching landscape to portrait since I hate it changing. However I know that Nova Launcher allows for icons to be modded, as well as the look etc... So when you turn, the icons do the same way. I assume that is what you mean.

A Launcher is basically the set up of the icons, the apps, how it looks when you shift pages etc... the standard one is OK, but after using Nova for about a week, it is much better.

Widget locker is a paid app, you can add sliders to it, from flash light, sound on/off/vibrate to camera. I am sure you have the camera as standard on the lock screen when I didn't have wicket locker.

Trial Swift Key 3 Keybaord. Youtube it.

It will save you so much time, is ten times better than any stock keyboard.

You can swipe aka Flow, which is actually addictive. However you have the options of 3 words that pop up above. If you often say 'I Love You'

If you type I, Love will show up in the middle suggestion. This way is much more accurate than auto correct or anything else. It's also a lot faster, it learns what you say and you can literally write convo's by typing one or two letters and then the suggestion.
              Touchpal is better for swipe and auto correct, but I guess you hate the swipe thing. Best try the various keyboards out there, but touchpal has auto correct which is pretty decent.

I don't think you can change the function of Samsung Voice. However Googling may give you an answer on that. One long press is for task manager, and 2 taps for S Voice. I am use to it after an Apple product and TBH I use the task manager quite a bit, and never ever use voice searching etc... so one long press is better than 2 presses for me.
              Thanks for addressing almost all of my points. I appreciate that. I think I'll just take the plunge and do it. I'm sure I'll get used to it and figure out a whole bunch of other stuff to do with it. I tend to nerd out on **** like that sometimes.

Comment

There is no way I can fit one of those stupid oversized phones in my front jeans pockets without squeezing my penis into oblivion.

Comment

Originally posted by Taaj Manoor View Post
                  There is no way I can fit one of those stupid oversized phones in my front jeans pockets without squeezing my penis into oblivion.
                  WTF? Unless you wear those faggot jeans, there shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

WTF? Unless you wear those faggot jeans, there shouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately those yank baggy pants aren't fashionable here dude!

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
                      Yeah, I could see that. When I first used my buddy's S3 I was like WTF this thing is huge!! But after putting in some time on my sister's phone, I'm loving the size of the S3. My iPhone feels dinky now that I've put some time in on the S3.

Thanks for addressing almost all of my points. I appreciate that. I think I'll just take the plunge and do it. I'm sure I'll get used to it and figure out a whole bunch of other stuff to do with it. I tend to nerd out on **** like that sometimes.
                      Wait for the S4. March 14th is the day they do an event launch.

S3 will drop when it's out, or jump to the S4. Or the 5S is out later in the year from rumours, and may be really good.

Comment

Working...
                      X