Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Salvador Sanchez Be Top 10 GOAT Had He Not Died at 23?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Salvador Sanchez Be Top 10 GOAT Had He Not Died at 23?

I've never been a huge fan of Mexican fighters but I'd say Salvador Sanchez (44-1-1) is one of my favorite fighters I've ever seen. I think he's the greatest Mexican fighter, I won't argue with anyone who has Julio Cesar Chavez because Sanchez had a very short career and time with us on this Earth. What do you think he could have accomplished had he not died?

Salvador Sanchez (44(32)-1-1) vs Wilfredo Gomez (32(32)-0-1)

People say Canelo has accomplished a lot at the age of 25, but I always remind myself of Salvador Sanchez who accomplished much more at the age of 21. Sanchez had already defeated Hall of Famer's in their prime at such an insanely young age. At 21, there would have been PLENTY of room for him to improve his already HOF credentials and skills. He died at the age of 23 in a car accident.

amazing fighter... obviously would have been top ten atg

Comment

hellllllllllllllllllllll YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

ONE OF MY FAVS EVER!!!!!

Comment

Nobody knows, maybe he would've gotten caught up with? maybe he would've gotten caught by a big punch and got KOed and never came back from that?

We simply never know, but for damn sure he had the potential to be one of the best fighters ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed_Ismail View Post
          Nobody knows, maybe he would've gotten caught up with? maybe he would've gotten caught by a big punch and got KOed and never came back from that?

We simply never know, but for damn sure he had the potential to be one of the best fighters ever.
          I'm just saying, because he had an iron chin so I can't imagine him getting knocked out. Also, the fact that he had already beaten the biggest puncher in the division being Wilfredo Gomez who had a perfect record with all knockout victories and Sanchez beat him by TKO in 8 rounds. Sanchez took his best shots and didn't even get stunned. But of course, this is boxing and a guy with 1 knockout can knockout anyone since anything can happen, but I just find it hard to see Sanchez being stopped. He had already fought everyone worthy of fighting him anyone else I imagine he would have iced.

Comment

Possibly is all anyone could say, could he beat Alexis Arguello (****in dream fight) and an array of great fighters once he moved up ?, how many weight would he be able to move up and continue to beat top competition ?.

Top 10 is a huge step up, although he achieved so much he'd have to do a lot more then he already did, that's given he didn't retire too become a doctor as he had planned to.

Comment

Honestly that is impossible to tell

Comment

Sanchez is one of those rare cases where a great fighter who was already great pre-prime never shows us the extent of his talents. Its a tragedy for those who loved him obviously, but to a lesser degree for boxing its a tragedy cuz we'll never know how important or impactful he could've been.

The ATG stuff kinda annoys me about anyone cuz its a child-like superhero discussion, but I kinda feel for him its even tougher to discuss where he'd land on a subjective ATG list cuz 1)he died so young & 2)he basically was an undefeated fighter, even with a couple marks on his record in super close fights as a teenager, & its soooooo hard imho to throw a guy on a list that never had his place in the food chain defined (Mayweather & Ricardo Lopez suffer from this too).

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                  Possibly is all anyone could say, could he beat Alexis Arguello (****in dream fight) and an array of great fighters once he moved up ?, how many weight would he be able to move up and continue to beat top competition ?.

Top 10 is a huge step up, although he achieved so much he'd have to do a lot more then he already did, that's given he didn't retire too become a doctor as he had planned to.
                  He was planning on jumping 2 divisions to fight Arguello before he planned to retire.

Comment

Who knows. Top 10 all time is beyond elite.

Comment

Working...
                    X