No announcement yet.

Joshua didn't pass the chin check

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ernie Mavers View Post
    anybody who knows anything about boxing know that how you win matters just as much, people lose stock all the time for questionable performances in a winning effort.
    Indeed, but anyone who knows anything about boxing knows that you don't look good every single fight. Maybe the tough stretch he had with Whyte says something about who he is overall as a heavyweight, or maybe he was in with a scrapper who wanted to win just as much as he did?

Comment

The worse thing he could do was fall in love with his power, in this fight against whyte he did until he got caught, then he grew mentally by going back to the basic stuff, that fight is a great learning curve for him.

He needs to be involve in fights like that, he needs to learn fight by fight and this sort of fights would do more for him than cabbies.

Fury went through the same thing in his career, getting knocked down, punching himself in the face etc but it got him to the top of the division, because by the time he face Wlad he had what it takes to fight against adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        Did he get knocked out or down?

I thought failing chin checks was if you get downed and start dancing or get knocked out. For example Amir Khan clearly failed the test even before the Prescott loss, he was knocked down by several guys before that. Maidana got dropped hard by Ortiz several times and got up, he's known to be durable and strong, why not the same for Joshua? Cause he got wobbled slightly and recovered literally n like 2-3 seconds. It was nothing really and i'm not even sold on Joshua yet, this was the first ever that I have seen of his. But if this was a failed chin check then a lot of fighters are going to have to be revised too. For example Mosley in his prime, De La Hoya for getting wobbled by Sweet Pea, Trinidad for getting knocked out by Hopkins, Margarito for getting knocked down early in his career and then destroyed against Mosley. So you're gonna have ot go back revise a lot of chins if you wanna say Joshua is chinny.
        You can never please boxing fans, Joshua is a prospect at HW. A weight where one punch can do anything to a big man.

Comment

He really needed an opponent like Whyte - young and hungry like himself. Lets not forgot the Eddie Hearn hype machine really has piled pressure onto Joshua to destroy everyone in a few rounds or less.

To me he spent a lot of nervous energy in the first couple of rounds, he was headlining a massive night of boxing in the UK against a strong opponent. He was bound to be nervous. That said he seemed stiff and flat footed in the second when he was hurt.

It was a big test for him and he composed himself and got back to boxing from that point on. Whyte looked on unsteady legs throughout the fight so he did really well to keep fighting back. He showed great heart and much better movement than AJ.

AJ is still a ferocious finisher, I think the event got to him and he was tagged, he came back in great fashion. I wouldn't say he has a suspect chin at all. He took some good shots. It was a really entertaining fight!

Comment

You have to give Joshua some credit for the win.

But there were moments in the fight were he looked very shaky indeed.

Credit to Whyte, he came to fight and gave Joshua no respect at all.

Joshua came through a tough test, but he is still pretty unproven.

The hype over him is just ridiculous.

Comment

Joshua has no defence at all.

I could even see someone like Bum Squad getting through and knocking him out if he doesn't tighten up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie Mavers View Post

AJ took to many clean shots, and was visibly hurt several times.

AJ failed the chin check, he is destined to be knocked out by a lesser opponent if he does not go back to school, and get out of this club fighter mode.

It's not going to work.
                Joshua was hit clean by a 240lb heavyweight and didn't hit the canvas. He clearly passed chin check.

Comment

He quite clearly passed the chin test.

He made a mental error of thinking Whyte was done and went for the kill, that led to him walking right into a huge left hook...a HW walking right onto on of those is going to feel it. He wobbled, but stayed on his feet, took his time to recover and regained control before ending things with a brutal knockout.

That fight is a crucial learning experience.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                    he was fighting an undefeated huge puncher and ate his shots like they were nothing. whyte will be champ within 2 years and the rematch will sell 2 million ppvs.
                    Ladies & gentlemen...Daggum, the biggest & best troll on this forum....oh who am I kidding...Gentlemen...Daggum, the biggest & best troll on this forum...no people with vaginas around here.

Comment

I wouldnt say he didnt pass it, i say he freezes when he gets hurt similiar to Bruno. He came back well, kept his composure during the fight, however Dillian simply didnt throw the right shots.

Whyte got too caught up in destroying Joshua, he forgot to compose himself, throw the short shots inside and measure his long shots on the outside, which in turn allowed Joshua to re compose himself.

Pros;

Solid power - Whyte fell the full force of it
                      Composed himself - during the attack on him
                      Went 7 rounds (still wary about his stamina)

Cons;

Stamina - Whyte simply gassed himself too so was easier for him to keep energy

Footwork- after he got hit, he looked amatuerish in his approach

Range of punches with a moving target- he seems to throw the 1-2 over and over again, need more variety.

Needs to remould his body- that extra muscle is not doing him favours, slim the upperbody and then youll have a more complete fighter

He needs fluidity in his movement, its ok when the opponent is not on his level, but at world level someone will put him out unless he works on these things IMO. Slim down, gain stamina and ring experience which he CAN STILL DO!

Hes only 26, no more talk of Fury, **** if Haye has anything left, hell do a job on him, i saw him chomping at the bit in the commentary haha.

Comment

Working...
                      X