Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Oscar De La Hoya a ATG??and if so where does he rank?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great. HOF'er. All-time great? Not with his best win being Fernando Vargas.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
      Of course he is. If Trinidad was an ATG, then DLH definitely is.

DLH was the man from 1996-2002 ish. The man's fought everyone there is to fight. You really can't name a fighter who fought at his weights that could go through his resume undefeated.

He's won some questionable bouts, but he's also been robbed as well.
      Did you watch Oscar and really think you were watching an ATG fighter though? It's easy to just look at the resume itself and see so many big fights, and the big names he beat, but I know you watched Oscar and did you believe he was an ATG while you were watching?

I didn't feel that way watching Oscar. I was watching a gutsy, talented fighter, but never one that I would call truly great.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
        Did you watch Oscar and really think you were watching an ATG fighter though? It's easy to just look at the resume itself and see so many big fights, and the big names he beat, but I know you watched Oscar and did you believe he was an ATG while you were watching?

I didn't feel that way watching Oscar. I was watching a gutsy, talented fighter, but never one that I would call truly great.
        I'm still baffled as to who Oscar beat that qualifies him for this? He lost pretty much every big fight he was in.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post

I bet we wouldn't have thought several old time fighters were ATG's either though.

If Marquez' resume is ATG, Oscar's is. Even if you take away the Sturm wins, and with Whitaker and Quartey being close, you can add the Trinidad win, and one of the Mosley wins too. That more than makes up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
            I bet we wouldn't have thought several old time fighters were ATG's either though.

If Marquez' resume is ATG, Oscar's is. Even if you take away the Sturm wins, and with Whitaker and Quartey being close, you can add the Trinidad win, and one of the Mosley wins too. That more than makes up for it.
            I agree with you. Except...I don't think Marquez is an ATG and neither is Oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              I agree with you. Except...I don't think Marquez is an ATG and neither is Oscar.
              That's you, there's loads of people on here who say Marquez is.....but Oscar isn't. ATG to me is around Top 100 or so. Oscar's career was Top 100 to me.

Comment

That's you, there's loads of people on here who say Marquez is.....but Oscar isn't. ATG to me is around Top 100 or so. Oscar's career was Top 100 to me.
                I see. Yeah, ATG is more like top 50 to me. Maybe 75 but that's pushing it. Oscar is near the bottom in top 100. So I could see how he's an ATG to you but not to me.

Comment

I see. Yeah, ATG is more like top 50 to me. Maybe 75 but that's pushing it. Oscar is near the bottom in top 100. So I could see how he's an ATG to you but not to me.
                  I guess that's why ATG is really subjective, because we don't know the exact definition of ATG. I listed how I seperate mine the page before this.

The Top 10, Top 20, Top 50, and Top 100 with examples listed. Let me know what you think.

Comment

I try to fit the ATG's in 4 categories.

The Top 10 (1-10): Guys like Ali, Robinson, Louis, Greb, etc.

The Top 20 (11-20): Guys like Leonard, Duran, Moore, Ketchel, etc.

The Top 50 (21-50): Guys like Mayweather, Pacquiao, Hopkins, Hagler, Hearns, Holyfield, Whitaker, Monzon, Jones, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, Chavez, etc.

The Top 100 (51-100): Guys like De La Hoya, Marquez, Barrera, Morales, Liston, Walcott, Pryor, Arguello, Tyson, Lopez, etc.
                    This is excellent--although I'd have Duran and Leonard higher. Maybe Moore too. And Whitaker. But the premise here is solid as hell.
                    Last edited by IMDAZED; 08-17-2012, 10:05 AM.

Comment

This is excellent--although I'd have Duran and Leonard higher. Maybe Moore too. And Whitaker. But the premise here is solid as hell.
                      FWIW, while i don't do ATG lists, I think there has to be some special consideration for the men who carry the sport and are great fighters. SO a Jack johnson, SRL,Ali, Louis, SRR should be set apart from Duran, Greb etc. I would extend this to whatever level floyd, Tyson and ODH occupy as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X