Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Floyd Mayweather good at standing his ground and fighting back in the ring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Floyd Mayweather good at standing his ground and fighting back in the ring?

I just watched Mayweather-Cotto, and it seemed like Mayweather tried very hard to do some walk-you-down, stand-your-ground, James Toney-esque counter punching on Miguel Cotto.

It kind of backfired on Mayweather. He was exchanging more than he is comfortable with, it appeared. And to me it seems that is not his game.

So just how tough and strong is Floyd Jr.?

And could he stand his ground against an in-his-prime Manny Pacquiao?

Personally I like Floyd, but he doesn't appear invincible.

He threw so many punches. I'm surprised he didn't knock Cotto out. I mean, Money Mayweather was really letting his hands go.

Comment

F no. 70% of his game is based around using your aggression against you on the ropes. He's deceptively strong in the clinch, but that's where it ends. He uses that strength to clinch you, use his elbows, and throw some sneaky little shots to your solar plexus, but doesn't really fight you on the inside.

Comment

He pretty much controlled 90% of that fight

Cotto didnt do **** in reality

I dont look too much into it

Floyd gets caught for 2 or 3 rounds and people think its the end of the world

Hatton and Del Hoya did way more damage to Floyd than Cotto

Comment

Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
          F no. 70% of his game is based around using your aggression against you on the ropes. He's deceptively strong in the clinch, but that's where it ends. He uses that strength to clinch you, use his elbows, and throw some sneaky little shots to your solar plexus, but doesn't really fight you on the inside.
          No wonder!

So that's why Mayweather looked so uncomfortable in the fight against Cotto -- he was in the pocket for too long.

In his subsequent bouts with The Ghost and Canelo he didn't linger in the pocket and as a result he looked comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
            He pretty much controlled 90% of that fight

Cotto didnt do **** in reality

I dont look too much into it

Floyd gets caught for 2 or 3 rounds and people think its the end of the world

Hatton and Del Hoya did way more damage to Floyd than Cotto
            No way, cotto landed more clean leather than dela hoya and hatton combined. Cotto clearly made floyd uncomfortable but floyd still beat his ass. I agree cotto didnt do much. He landed a couple of good jabs and left hooks thats about it.

Comment

Originally posted by bopbopbbe View Post
              No way, cotto landed more clean leather than dela hoya and hatton combined. Cotto clearly made floyd uncomfortable but floyd still beat his ass. I agree cotto didnt do much. He landed a couple of good jabs and left hooks thats about it.
              Agreed.

Mayweather was in a firefight.

Comment

Yes, Floyd has warrior in him. If he's forced he's capable of unleashing a bit of hellfire and recovers very quickly when damaged. This is probably the most graphic example (round 4 versus Chop Chop):

20:22

Comment

of course mayweather can stand and fight,,,

look at the fights with cotto, jesus chavez, N'dou

Does he do it alot, no,, but he has the ability to if needed

Comment

He was better at it in his prime. Not as much anymore, he seems less comfortable with it than before. He's certainly capable of holding his own with just about anyone, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X