Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez (Pavlik Fight Version) Beats Gennady Golovkin Twice on Sunday...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    Sergio with legs would be a big problem for Golokvin. The successes Brook had were mostly when he got off first and changed angles. That was Sergio's bread and butter, and he had far greater pop and timing than brook.

Redd Foxx is right. I think the fight would be very competitive. I think it would get to the later rounds. Golovkin's walking forward would get him in trouble with Martinez's movement, and Martinez's hands down defense in the later rounds would get him in trouble. I think a Prime Sergio would have a 50-50 chance against Golovkin.

Honestly though in the past 15 years I don't know a middleweight not named Bhop that I would pick over Golovkin outright though.....

Comment

While Sergio beat some good names, he had success against the same type of fighter. Bigger and slower guys, a lot of which had concrete feet. None of his opponents were talented at cutting the ring off except for Pavlik and Pavlik was simply too slow.

I don't really get it with Martinez. People love to say he would have beaten Cotto in his prime or he could best Golovkin. I just don't see it. He had too many technical flaws. The punch Cotto hurt Martinez with early was a feinted jab into a left hook. It had nothing to do with Martinez's legs. He was tricked by a superior boxer with short punches. It's not the same as being able to drop down and do 10 situps before Pavlik or Chavez landed a right hand. And it's not the same as Williams walking into punches.

Look at his resume. Cintron, Macklin, etc. Just bigger, slower, less talented fighters.

Comment

Also I love when people use the Brook fight as an example of why Golovkin would lose when Brook was battered and arguably won 2 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by -Antonio- View Post
          Also I love when people use the Brook fight as an example of why Golovkin would lose when Brook was battered and arguably won 2 rounds.
          You can't look at the technique and see where he had success? I have been saying for a long time that Golovkin is open for uppercuts and can't cut sharp angles and look what happened the first time someone integrated those thing into their strategy. Of course Book failed miserably because he's still not entirely proven and is a WW. If an actual MW with some power was doing it, it's not hard to see why it would be an issue for Golovkin. Not saying he's garbage, just doing some simple math here.

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
            Thats why Sergio paid him to step aside EVEN his promoter admitted, they ignored Gennady because Cotto was easier. But its cute seeing you have more confidence against Gennady than the fighter you are defending. XDD
            cotto was more money. at that stage in sergios career, a bigger payday trumps all.

anyone who would have chosen a fight with 3g over a guy like cotto is a terrible businessman.

the sergio that fought sol would have humiliated 3g.
            (would love to post a sergio highlight clip but embed isnt working)

Comment

Working...
            X