No announcement yet.

Was Lemieux sacrificed to GGG ???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=nivek535;15994570]i dont think lemieux is being sacrificed."

Lemieux could cherry pick a voluntary before a GGG clash... It makes good business sense....

As far as Oscar is concerned, Canelo with the lineal Middleweight belt is a huge marketing chip for a already marketable commodity....

Canelo could vacate and go back down..... Wait for GGG to unify the division in the next few years and bank on a prime Canelo vs a older, potentially more vulnerable GGG in his late 30's...

That would make good business sense (Especially if GGG breaks Bhop's Middleweight consecutive defenses record of 20.) as long as Canelo doesn't get caught up in too many Wars in the next few years... ( 1 fight for a unified title with rematch potential.) Canelo should be better in 4 years than he is today.... If Canelo is ever going to beat GGG (Very big IF !!!) his best chance is well down the road and not next year.

But I'm leaning towards Canelo vs GGG next year....

Comment

Also, I think GBP realized that Lemiux could very well lose some "easier" fight for way less money, he has lost twice before. They did the smart thing to put a big fight together while it's hot. Get him paid, make HBO happy. A win for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich2123 View Post
        Also, I think GBP realized that Lemiux could very well lose some "easier" fight for way less money, he has lost twice before. They did the smart thing to put a big fight together while it's hot. Get him paid, make HBO happy. A win for everyone.
        I agree with this, and they have their fingers crossed that Lemieux can pull off the big upset somehow. Who know,s they might just have a bit of confidence in their fighter, you know. I mean, I don't see how Lemiux is being 'sacrificed' here. Is every fighter going in as an underdog being sacrificed?

Comment

No. He hasn't even lost yet. He took the fight of his own free will because he is a real champion, not a Wilder type who wants to keep a belt the easiest possible way. GGG and Lemieux are true champions who want all the belts and want to be recognized as the best middleweight in the world, not just one of the middleweight title belt holders.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
            I agree with this, and they have their fingers crossed that Lemieux can pull off the big upset somehow. Who know,s they might just have a bit of confidence in their fighter, you know. I mean, I don't see how Lemiux is being 'sacrificed' here. Is every fighter going in as an underdog being sacrificed?
            Thing is, he's young, marketable, fun style, from boxing hotspot. There's money to be made, they could go the Bute/Stevenson route. He'd be pretty safe with that level of comp. Or at least let him have a defense or 2.

Comment

Its a Risky move by oscar but if lemule wins it pay off big time for GBP cause they now control 2 divisions and can be 3-4 soon with danny at 140 and lucas going to 147 just have to maneuver right.

Comment

Originally posted by BrushMyHair! View Post
                No it doesn't. Once Canelo beats Cotto, GGG vs Canelo is the fight.
                Not if GB push for a rematch like Oscar has already said.

Comment

GGG made a Sacrifice ....

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                  You are forgetting that GGG made a huge Sacrifice..

The key element here that needs to be added into the equation is that GGG had Cotto where he wanted him.... Cotto already made his voluntary title defense and Cotto had to fight GGG next (As the mandatory, Before Canelo) or vacate the title... GGG had to get something to step aside and allow Canelo vs Cotto to fight for the WBC belt.... Otherwise it would not be for the WBC and lineal Middleweight Championship...

What do you think GGG got for his generosity ??? (Especially considering GGG was doggedly hounding Sergio Martinez for that WBC lineal championship belt only to watch Cotto take it.)

I think GGG got the Lemieux fight for the IBF title to pacify him while he waits for resolution to Canelo vs Cotto...

For his sacrifice, what did GGG get in your opinion if not the Lemieux fight ???
                  Last edited by MindGame; 08-25-2015, 11:40 PM.

Comment

If GGG wins I don't think he will make any deals or compromises. He doesn't care about fighting the Cotto-Canelo winner so much as he wants the WBC title belt. I believe he will demand the winner defend the title against him in their next fight at the full 160 pounds or vacate the title. If they vacate the title then GGG fights whoever the WBC says he should fight for the vacant title. The WBC should back GGG 100%. GGG has been the best middleweight in the world for years and he has chased Martinez and then Cotto for years. Let GGG fight for that god damn WBC belt at the legal, correct and traditional 160 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                      Thing is, he's young, marketable, fun style, from boxing hotspot. There's money to be made, they could go the Bute/Stevenson route. He'd be pretty safe with that level of comp. Or at least let him have a defense or 2.
                      As the other guy stated, he already has losses but he's rebuilt his career and is getting a big opportunity himself. It's a big PPV fight against a rising star, it's a hell of chance for him considering where his career was a few years ago. True, he could have kept his belt hostage and fought a bunch of nobodies at home, but mixing it with the likes of GGG and possibly eventually Canelo, Cotto, ect. brings much more money, prestige and exposure. Big risk but a huge reward for him.

Originally posted by MindGame View Post
                      The key element here that needs to be added into the equation is that GGG had Cotto where he wanted him.... Cotto had to fight GGG next (Before Canelo) or vacate the title... GGG had to get something to step aside and allow Canelo vs Cotto to fight for the WBC belt.... Otherwise it would not be a title fight.....

What do you think GGG got for his generosity ??? (Especially considering GGG was doggedly hounding Sergio Martinez for that WBC lineal championship belt only to watch Cotto take it.)

I think GGG got the Lemieux fight for the IBF title to pacify him while he waits for resolution to Canelo vs Cotto...

What did GGG get in your opinion if not the Lemieux fight ???

You could be correct with your assessment. However, this is boxing and we know the politics at play could have somehow kept the belt for the Cotto VS Canelo fight regardless of what he and his team wanted. He's a small fish compared to them so I doubt the powers that be would let him derail the fight being a championship bout. Even if somehow they did manage to strip Cotto, the show would have gone on with or without the belt. Hell, some organization could have just custom made some BS "platinum belt" for this big event to be called a title fight, the casuals don't know any better.

Hell, it's better for GGG to let Cotto and Canelo fight for the belt in a big PPV match in hopes he can fight the winner in a big unification bout. Him fighting Lemieux just happened to align nicely with all of this IMO.
                      Last edited by _original_; 08-25-2015, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X