Collapse
No announcement yet.

Razor Thin Fight Cotto Was Going to Get Jobbed Regardless

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canelo clearly won. I mean clearly. Every telling blow was landed by Canelo.

Comment

I had the fight closer than the judges but the problem is Cotto won no clear, indisputable rounds. I had it 6-6 but admittedly gave every close round to Cotto intentionally. My card could easily be 9-3 the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        i will watch the fight again, but i certainly don't need to watch it again to know who won.
        I don't think anyone or not many are disputing the decision, just the scoring. It shouldn't mean that since we got the right winner that the scoring shouldn't be looked into. Plus the production was bias and the compubox was more fishy then normal, it all seems off and that is what I wanted to make fans aware of. I think there were politics involved with this fight, big time.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
          I am yet again surprised at how one sided everyone here thinks the fight was. I am a fan of both guys, in fact I picked Canelo by close UD, so got the result fairly accurate.

Why do so many of you get influenced by commentary? I wish more of you had a brain of your own. This was a close fight, why? Because when Cotto boxed especially early, Canelo couldn't do anything about it. Landing one or two flashy counters doesn't win rounds, Cotto was more consistent, outworked, and jabbed Canelo's head off in certain rounds. In other rounds he didn't do enough especially later in the fight, although I still gave Cotto a round or two in the second half of the fight. I implore you to watch the fight again if you think it was one sided.

Cotto made a mistake in the 8th round by standing and trading, but I think he only did that because he was comfortable at that point in the fight and I think he wanted to test Canelo in the trenches, he got his answer, which was that it was not a good place for him to be as for the first time he genuinely got out punched and stung a little. I think as Cotto tired, what was effective boxing in the first 6, looked more negative and less effective in the last 6. But Canelo was still not so effective. I remember thinking in about the 5th round, if this kid ever wants to be great he needs to put his foot on the accelerator right now...it never came. He could only do what Cotto allowed him to do, Cotto was in a fight with his own gas tank, yes he occasionally had defensive lapses and Canelo picked some great single shots, some counters and some leads, undoubtedly the harder shots, but Cotto was more consistent and quite often answered those singles with combinations. I had the fight even going into the last, which Canelo won and gave him the fight on my card, but I am so disappointed with his performance. He doesn't know how to force the issue and take control of the fight, he has all the moves, pull counters, good jab, lead uppercuts, great right hand, literally everything in his arsenal, yet he can't put any of it together. He got outboxed for large portions.

The other point I wanted to make was that everything stunk about the night. The scorecards, the HBO commentary, even the teleprompter showing the replays. It felt like the result was preordained and Cotto would have to dominate to get a split decision. It might seem like I am defending Cotto, and "butthurt" about the result, I can assure you I am not. Just really disappointed about the politics in the sport, again. No matter what happened before the fight, sanctioning bodies, belts, step aside money, the competition should be fair and just. As I said Cotto was never going to be allowed to win that fight, I thought the scorecards were a disgrace, an embarrassment to a very good fight and soured it once again for me.

They know... It's just convenient for peasants with nothing in this life to pretend it was a blow out...it gives them a sense of winning in life.

Considering Canelo's SIZE, it should have been and it was anything but. He could not even put Cotto on the canvas.

Lets see how they spin Canelo's "GGG must come to 155lbs...I am champ and I will not be dictated to by GGG"

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
            I would love to score round by round with some of you guys. I might make a thread, because it is clear some of you don't understand Marquess of Queensbury Rules. It is the result everyone wanted for a number of reasons, doesn't make the scoring right, and you shouldn't dismiss what I am saying. Especially with no supporting argument.

Canelo has a problem with getting off on good fighters, this was no different. I can think of 4 rounds where Canelo landed close to nothing, missed a whole lot and ate jabs.
            I agree with you completely, I had it 7-5 Cotto but could, if pushed, see it as 7-5 Canelo because some rounds ,especially in the middle were very close. Fact is when Cotto was winning rounds, he was winning them comfortably. You can probably only say that about 2 or max 3 Canelo rounds.

The biggest issue here isn't Canelo winning but the margins that the judges had it by. It was madness, especially the 11-1 if I'm not mistaken.

Then again, 2 days ago I posted about Vegas bookmakers and how they were making Canelo 2-1...noway is vegas gonna lose out on that. Canelo was going to win regardless, unless he got KOd.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
              Canelo clearly won. I mean clearly. Every telling blow was landed by Canelo.
              That doesn't equate to 12 round decision!! This is what some of you guys don't seem to understand. Hopkins landed every telling blow in his first fight with Jermain Taylor, but he got controlled with a double jab for 8 rounds. In the last 4 rounds Taylor got his butt kicked. But he got the decision. This fight isn't the same, and again just to reiterate Canelo won on my card, but I can't see that this was not a close fight, because Canelo got outboxed in enough rounds to make it close. In other rounds he did damage and landed enough big shots to offset Cotto's boxing and workrate.

Comment

HBO already declared Canelo as the winner before the fight started.

Comment

I had the fight 116-112.

Cotto did well in the first 4 rounds, but after that, Canelo started outpacing him.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    find me two concrete cotto rounds.
                    How bout you find me 10 concrete rounds Canelo won.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      How bout you find me 10 concrete rounds Canelo won.

Comment

Working...
                      X