Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calzaghe Diehard Stans, Come In Here. *Dawson Related*

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't see Tarver winning the re match. He'll probably come in with slightly better tactics, but to be fair Dawson can take some shots and get away with being phased with Tarver unlikely to throw speedy, powerful and accurate combinations to capitalise.

I see a wider decision, and this fight could either make or break Calzaghe fighting again. The winner and of course most likely Dawson, needs to be up for fighting a few months or so later, in the UK, for a smaller pot to be likely for it to be workable. These are just some obstacles I think could leave it not coming off.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrisSilver View Post
      Joe's always lacked planning a good game plan ahead of a fight, I criticise him a lot for this, he's done it in a lot of his fights, see Kessler, Hopkins and RJJ.

Nard on the other hand went in with roughly the best game plan to counter Joe's style possible which created a horrible spectacle, and a close fight. There's just no way I can see Hopkins winning being more aggressive, he's not hurting Joe much, not backing him up, stopping him throwing too much, or quicker.

As for Tarver, you really seem to rate him huh. Personally I think he's pretty average especially now. He doesn't adapt much, which is why Hopkins did, and Calzaghe would run circles around him.

Dawson is a close ish fight if Chad responds to tips in his corner, doesn't take too much time off and fights clever. He did this with a more predictable Tarver showing improvements, but I have doubts he's improved enough to do that and more against a much more varied Calzaghe.

I must say I find myself continously trapped into wanting Joe to fight again just to settle some rows, it's silly really. We'll probably be doing this same thing next year, they'll be a new threat and Calzaghe 'should fight him'.
      Why wouldn't I rate Tarver high? Save for Dawson and Hopkins, he's beaten down on nearly every other light heavy contender out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
        Where did I say I "go by Ring rankings".

You're the clown who dismisses them in one sentence then asks me to look them up the next.

Tarver may well be better than Jones now - he did beat him twice. But hes not a top fighter - as you try to suggest in order to blow on Dawsons bollox.
        You just answered your own question. In the middle or beginning of this thread, you stated quote ''what makes Tarver a better fighter than Jones''. I also don't blow on anyone's ''bollox'', i am just bringing out the facts for display. Tarver was rated at number 2 at light heavyweight by the ring, is that a lie? Tarver was champion when Dawson beat him, is that a lie? My only reason for posting in this thread was to ask Kirss about why doesn't Joe need to fight an accomplished named like Dawson when hes been criticized for not coming earlier and when he did come over, his opponents were past their prime( though Hopkins was still a great win for many reasons).

Joe is at a point where he can fight anyone he wants, i didn't bash him one time. If he fights Chad he does. If he doesn't, he doesn't,

Comment

I can't see Tarver winning the re match. He'll probably come in with slightly better tactics, but to be fair Dawson can take some shots and get away with being phased with Tarver unlikely to throw speedy, powerful and accurate combinations to capitalise.

I see a wider decision, and this fight could either make or break Calzaghe fighting again. The winner and of course most likely Dawson, needs to be up for fighting a few months or so later, in the UK, for a smaller pot to be likely for it to be workable. These are just some obstacles I think could leave it not coming off.

I agree. The pot will be more for Calzaghe though. Neither Tarver nor Dawson are draws.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
            Why wouldn't I rate Tarver high? Save for Dawson and Hopkins, he's beaten down on nearly every other light heavy contender out there.
            Not that I feel as strongly as the other criticising the LHW division, but he raised some valid points and I don't credit the guys outside the top 5 anywhere near as much as the top 5.

He had a good style for beating Roy, but credit to him he did twice. He also beat Johnson, but I think Johnson whom is as good if not better now, beats him today.

In short, anyone ranked ahead of Tarver now: clearly, clearly beats him imo. I'm pretty sure most would agree.

Comment

• I agree with everyone if calzaghe is to fight again it should be Dawson, but the problem is not who has dawson beaten because he has some good names on his record, but the problem is calzaghe is not a big name in america he's not a popular fighter over there. so the problem is does Chad Dawson bring enough money because he's Chad Dawson i dont know yet he only just hit the upper echelons of boxing circles and he maybe still too much of a high risk for not big enough reward.

I also agree with alot of the posts that if cal did beat dawson he would be just labelled another overated fighter, because calzaghe never gonna be universally liked by the boxing community because he took to long to try and unify the super mids, i dont know if there was much effort but i always wonder why a calzaghe vs ottke bout was never made.

Personally i think calzaghe will fight again and i think he will pick the road warrior himself glen johnson because he can get a bigger share of the purse fighting glen in the UK

Comment

Not that I feel as strongly as the other criticising the LHW division, but he raised some valid points and I don't credit the guys outside the top 5 anywhere near as much as the top 5.

He had a good style for beating Roy, but credit to him he did twice. He also beat Johnson, but I think Johnson whom is as good if not better now, beats him today.

In short, anyone ranked ahead of Tarver now: clearly, clearly beats him imo. I'm pretty sure most would agree.

Well Johnson beats Tarver because Antonio's slowed some. But I thought Tarver beat Johnson twice and that version of Johnson is much better than this one IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  Well Johnson beats Tarver because Antonio's slowed some. But I thought Tarver beat Johnson twice and that version of Johnson is much better than this one IMO.
                  Tarver def beat Johnson in that first fight no doubt. I couldn't believe they gave Glen that decision tbh.

Comment

• Yeah make no mistake about it, Tarver is an experienced veteran and he could pull the upset if Dawson comes in anything less than his best. I think Dawson will win a decision but i think it will be somewhat closer, but i think Dawson is simply too much for Antonio because he just has more ability, energy and speed and the only way Tarver has is if he caught Dawson with a punch that he doesn't see, and if he was to get Dawson hurt and couldn't finish him then he could be put out himself because hes known for fading late and Chad has shown recuperative skills mane times and will go to the body.
                    Last edited by slicksouthpaw16; 02-03-2009, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• i think calzaghe should fight dawson just to shut every ****er up and leave them with no excuses, it's not as if dawson would win anyway.

do it joe, fight dawson in cardiff then retire.

Comment

Working...
                      X