Taking that first loss

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking that first loss

Must be a fcking nightmare!

I've never put much thought into it before, just thought boxers go meh and go again but fucking hell only now have i realised just how much of a big thing it must be taking that first defeat.

And this is just from me getting beat up a little in sparring, fck me it makes ya feel like less of a man taking a whooping yet imagine losing a fight in front of your family and friends, in front of so many people all round the world watching and even worse if ya get knocked the fck out.

Must be depressing as ****!

So when proud warriors who must have so much pride and respect in them lose a fight it must kill them inside. My respect has just gotten so much more to those who suffer such defeats and can come back to fight another day.

I'd imagine the fcking demons inside would be pestering ya to just pack it in and give up. Must be torturous.
    Last edited by Roy Jones Jnr; 07-30-2014, 04:43 PM.

When you prepare at your best then give your best effort you don't get "defeated" you just loose a match up. If your an adolescent you may kick and whine a bit then you'll go back to playing soccer or darts, stay where its safe!
    You don't "suffer" you learn! That's why you gain respect for your opponents because you and your opponent teach each other about your self. Along with what's needed to improve your skills and gain more experience.
    You sound like your writing a script for a movie, pretty dramatic!!!
    Ray.

Comment

I have lost before, it sucks, but you just gotta learn from it.. I had 2 fights that I lost really bugged me afterwards.. I just didn't let my hands go enough,, knowing that I could have easily won if letting my hands go has always bothered me.. But you can't let losses bring you down.. You gotta learn and keep going

Comment

Watch the tape, learn from it, adjust your style, and come back and win a rematch.
        You don't need to use the changed style in future fights, just for that one opponent because it could just be a bad style matchup for your original style.
        Maybe a sudden switch to Southpaw ala Crawford, do whatever can work.

Comment

You kind of replay that fight in your head several times for the next couple weeks. I didn't get upset or angry, but I was definitely disappointed in myself. I had to give my opponent all the respect he deserves. I replayed it in my mind as I trained harder.

I always think of the what-if's in a productive way. What if I had more energy? What if I threw more punches with that energy? What if it let me react -that- much faster when dodging that punch?

Now...what if I train harder and find out?

Comment

OP clearly still has a big ego to be worried about a thing like this. No disrespect, its normal. That's the beauty of combat sports though, with every defeat (or perceived defeat in your case), you must chip away a piece of your ego before you can step through that next door way, or turn around and leave with it intact. Keep going long enough and your ego will be able to fit through a keyhole and you won't give a **** what people think, you'll just smile and continue doing what you love. That's why most people who train and compete are chill, they've whittled their egos down to nothing. I wish more people would do this.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

I achieved more in my first defeat than I did in all the wins combined before it. I lost the first 2 rounds badly but came back and nearly stopped my opponent in the last round. I gave everything I had and walked out the the ring with my head held high. Although I clearly lost the contest, I came out feeling like the winner (though I know the decision was 100% right - I had definitely lost).

Comment

Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
                I achieved more in my first defeat than I did in all the wins combined before it. I lost the first 2 rounds badly but came back and nearly stopped my opponent in the last round. I gave everything I had and walked out the the ring with my head held high. Although I clearly lost the contest, I came out feeling like the winner (though I know the decision was 100% right - I had definitely lost).
                This is definitely the best attitude to have op. Even when canelo was shutout by mayweather his trainer said "champions hold their heads high." I know what it's like getting whooped in sparring (122lbs guy sparring middleweights man) but you gotta learn from it. Look at the best champs in boxing, they lost too but they came back from it. Ray Leonard lost badly to Duran but did he quit? Nope. He learned from it, borderline obsessed over correcting his mistakes and trained hard. And look at what happened. In boxing at some point be it sparring or competing you will get a beating no matter how good you are. It's how you react to that moment which will define you. When I got whooped in sparring I was upset not because I got rocked or because it might look embarassing, but because I knew I could have done more. So I just went on training with more zeal than before. Believe me op it'll pass provided that you focus on learning.

At school we never get all the questions right when starting out. That's why you study and take tests. It's the exact same principle in the gym. You've just been taken to school so you can study and do better or you can do nothing and fail. It's all about what you put in.

Comment

I lost my first fight couple of months ago and it only motivated me to train harder so I guess it depends all on the person personality.

Comment

Working...
                  X