Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones: I Stll got to get a CW Title Before I go

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contrary to what many people think, punching power isn't the last thing to go on a boxer, it's their egos and the foolish belief they can compete when all the facts say that they can't. It's like some sort of Greek tragedy or something when a fighter is forced back into the ring because of bad business dealings. There's usually only one way it goes after that. That's the truly sad part a lot of fans turn an almost blind eye to. Folks don't want to see what happens to their heroes when the lights have stopped flashing and the interest dies down.

A lot of athletes have no concept of how to manage their fame or money when it comes down to it. So we get what Roy Jones is doing, fighting on in spite of the fact that he's well passed his prime. By any sane estimation what he's doing is utterly insane. He doesn't have a chance in the world of accomplishing his goal, more than likely he'll take even more punishment than he's already taken since his reflexes went South.

Boxing's a brutal business where the margin for error is very small, both inside and outside the ring. All fighters like Jones can do at this point in their careers is make a mockery of previous accomplishments by fighting on and turn themselves into a laughing stock.

Comment

Originally posted by uglypug View Post
      I tihnk Roy is reaping what he sowed. . . He was brilliant back in his day. . . but WHY did he ONLY TAUNT and HUMILIATE JOURNEYMAN and TOMATO CANS?! I mean, imagine how bad those guys felt and how embarrassed they were. . . That's why I laughed my ass off when Calzaghe clowned and taunted him. . .

God bless Roy, I don't want him to get hurt, but sometimes I can't help but think karma came back and got him.
      you obviously never seen a roy jones fight, he clowned james toney before knocking him down

he clowned vs tarver in their 1st and 3rd fight

why dont you just stfu you dipsht?

Comment

Roy Jr is a great commentator so he should stick 2 that.

Comment

dammit, i wish roy would just retire before he gets seriously hurt

Comment

Originally posted by uglypug View Post
            I tihnk Roy is reaping what he sowed. . . He was brilliant back in his day. . . but WHY did he ONLY TAUNT and HUMILIATE JOURNEYMAN and TOMATO CANS?! I mean, imagine how bad those guys felt and how embarrassed they were. . . That's why I laughed my ass off when Calzaghe clowned and taunted him. . .

God bless Roy, I don't want him to get hurt, but sometimes I can't help but think karma came back and got him.
            Uhm, he clowned a dozen title holders and atg's as well sir. Jones is definitely paying for his earlier dominance but I agree, getting the 5th title is probably the only thing he can do at this point to extend his legacy in any way. Let's not forget that he was competitive against arguably the best CW in the world in his last outing.

Comment

no...

hell no...

Roy's a ****ing grandpa.

Comment

wow Roy Jones, why doesnt he just become a trainer....teach these guys how to do great feints like he used to do. He can stay in the sport that way and not have his brain fried even furthur

Comment

i think roy secretly likes getting knocked sparko. it probably turns him on or some shit

Comment

Seeing Tarver and Hopkins doing well in their later years is really only encouraging him...it is sad really. The guy has so much passion for boxing that he just can't let go.

Comment

Check out this podcast with Roy from October 15th http://www.8countnews.com/news/129/A...011-10-15.html He pretty much talks about how he got a new trainer bringing in Tom Yankello and feel really good in the ring feeling a spark he hasn't felt in the long time.

Something Roy should of done a long time ago is get a new trainer from the outside looking in at least he can be real with Jones with what he needs to correct with his game.

Comment

Working...
                      X