No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hopkins-Dawson: No Contest, No Rematch...No Problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Hopkins-Dawson: No Contest, No Rematch...No Problem

By Jake Donovan - Bernard Hopkins versus Chad Dawson for the lineal light heavyweight championship of the world.

It was always a fight that was intriguing on paper from a historical context but threatened to bomb in the ring and at the box office.

A verdict reached by the California State Athletic Commission on Tuesday suggested the boxing equivalent of a wedding annulment. The original technical knockout verdict was overturned and changed to a no-contest, which is to suggest that the fight never happened at all.

Perhaps that’s what is best for all involved.

It’s certainly the direction in which Hopkins and his handlers are heading.

“I am happy this ordeal is over,” Hopkins (52-5-2-2NC, 32KO) said in a statement shortly after the CSAC voted by a 5-1 margin to return the championship back in his possession. “Now I can focus on continuing to rehab my shoulder and get ready to fight again, hopefully early next year.”

Who exactly lands in the opposite corner for his next fight is not immediately known. The only thing for certain is that a rematch with Dawson is not in the cards – not next, and perhaps not ever.

“I have zero interest in putting together that fight again,” stated Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. His company co-promoted the October bout along with Dawson’s promoter, Gary Shaw. The show featured a respectable undercard, but most of whom were – along with the main event players – East Coast-based, therefore not at all enticing to the local Los Angeles market.

Hopkins himself has never proven to be a draw on his own, but has always managed to help bolster attendance on the road when matched right.

Both of his fights with Jean Pascal were box office gold in Canada, given Pascal’s drawing power and the historical angle surrounding both fights. Hopkins entered their first fight in Dec. ’10 one month shy of his 46th birthday in seeking to become the oldest fighter in boxing history to win a world title. [Click Here To Read More]

It really bothers me how Boxingscene always uses this same picture of Hopkins when ever they do a cover story on him. The picture is not very flattering and personally, I feel like they use it to make him look less intelligent. Just my opinion though. Change it up Boxingscene.

Comment

I could never understand why this fight was in California and on PPV. It would have made much more sense to have it in Atlantic City on HBO. I still think a rematch would do good in this city.I want to see what the outcome of this fight would be.

Comment

"Slammed to the ground"? They must be kidding. Hopkins was piggy-back riding to avoid being hit. He wasn't thrown down, he fell down, quite by purpose--the fake. Well, this might work for the best. Erdei came to his senses and ducked out of the Cloud fight which he was unlikely to win. Now
        he might get matched up with Hopkins and he can certainly beat him. Let's see...

Comment

Originally posted by peter stark View Post
          "Slammed to the ground"? They must be kidding. Hopkins was piggy-back riding to avoid being hit. He wasn't thrown down, he fell down, quite by purpose--the fake. Well, this might work for the best. Erdei came to his senses and ducked out of the Cloud fight which he was unlikely to win. Now
          he might get matched up with Hopkins and he can certainly beat him. Let's see...
          Fell down!?!? Did you even watch the fight? The instant replay clearly showed Dawson hook Hopkins legs and shoulder push him to the ground. Come on now, you might not like Hopkins but don't be oblivious to the facts.

Comment

i agree the venue for this fight wasn't good.

Comment

I've lost all respect for Hopkins. Used to be a fan but not anymore. He has absolutely no shame and would do anything to win.

I let his soccer player tactics slide in the past, but this fight was just ridiculous. He realized his "throw a right hand and hold tactic" wasn't working, so he panicked and took a dive at the first opportunity.

They should have left it as a TKO for Dawson just to teach Hopkins that he can't ***** out like that. He ripped the fans off and should not have even been paid.

Dana White doesn't have to kill boxing, because boxing will kill itself all on it's own.

Comment

Rematch? Just not on PPV

Comment

ret

Retire old ****.......u dont belong in the ring anymore.....

Comment

Originally posted by sananman50 View Post
                    Fell down!?!? Did you even watch the fight? The instant replay clearly showed Dawson hook Hopkins legs and shoulder push him to the ground. Come on now, you might not like Hopkins but don't be oblivious to the facts.
                    Why was Hopkins on his back in the first place? Trying to play mind games and Dawson wasn't having none of it. This dude is scared to fight Dawson. He was chompin at the bit for a rematch with Pascal, why not Dawson?

Comment

Working...
                    X