No announcement yet.

Should Pone Kingpetch be in the HOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hhascup View Post
    It doesn't matter if they are a 1st ballot candidate or a 15th. The committee votes for the best 10, and then the top 3 get in. I have been on both the Modern and Old-Timers Committee for several years now. I didn't think Tszyu deserved to be in the top 3, But he did IMO deserve to be in the top 10, so he got my vote, as did Kingpetch.
    Henry:

I know some guys don't use a 1st ballot standard (and it took me a while to articulate mine) but I look at it this way:

If it's your first year, are you, indisputably, one of the Top Three?

If not, then I wait at least a year on the vote since I don't want to see someone who has been on the ballot a few years wait for someone I don't think merits immediate induction (which is why Tszyu didn't get my vote this year. He's not more accomplished as a pro, IMO, than Hamed (for one) and Jeffra is way overdue).

Thoughts?

P.S. Never said congrats on the Jersey Hall. Congrats. Don't know you but respect your work.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
      Henry:

I know some guys don't use a 1st ballot standard (and it took me a while to articulate mine) but I look at it this way:

If it's your first year, are you, indisputably, one of the Top Three?

If not, then I wait at least a year on the vote since I don't want to see someone who has been on the ballot a few years wait for someone I don't think merits immediate induction (which is why Tszyu didn't get my vote this year. He's not more accomplished as a pro, IMO, than Hamed (for one) and Jeffra is way overdue).

Thoughts?

P.S. Never said congrats on the Jersey Hall. Congrats. Don't know you but respect your work.
      I voted for Jeffra and Hamed too, but I couldn't leave off Tszyu when it came to the top 10. Tyson and Chavez were locks, so that meant there was room for only 1 more.

Like I said, Tszyu wasn't in my top 3, but did make my top 10.

Thank you so much for the kind words.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Not fond of Tszyu, WBY?

Neither am I. Though I think he is indeed a good fighter, no way is he a First Ballot HOF'er, IMO.
        In truth, I am fond of him. He is a rare figure in Boxing --- a fighter of class & decency, whose image promotes the sport. I just think the idea of him as a first-ballot HOFer (when he arguably isn't even Hall-calibre, period) is simply ludicrous.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
          Not really true. That's more a Baseball or other sport thing. In boxing, time allows for campaigns, especially for smaller fighter who need time to get their names into more U.S. minds. Worked for Galaxy; worked for Chang. Those names get in during years when there are less STARS on the ballot. This year, the top three were almost pre-ordained. Next year, Hearns is the onyl super lock (that I can think of).
          The Hall's record in recent years would seem to refute that to a great degree. It is not difficult to draw the conclusion that photo ops & interview chances with fresh, coherent Champions of recent times are getting preference over their ancestors.

Comment

Working...
          X