No announcement yet.

Boxing people: Here's a Ward vs. Calzaghe question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing people: Here's a Ward vs. Calzaghe question

First off, I must commend Joe for what he did as a boxer, what he achieved was brilliant. Meanwhile, when it comes to judging the top middleweights I just can't include him ahead of guys like Toney, Hopkins and Jones Jr. With that said, at the stage of 25-0. Who has/had the more stellar resume? Ward or Calzaghe?

stupid question
    i dont think anyopnes resume better than wards at 25-0
    whos the better fighter ? calzaghe

Comment

I dont think that Calzaghe was better than Ward. Ward is more versatile than Joe was and obviously fought the stiffer competition at this stage of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by emurgencee View Post
        First off, I must commend Joe for what he did as a boxer, what he achieved was brilliant. Meanwhile, when it comes to judging the top middleweights I just can't include him ahead of guys like Toney, Hopkins and Jones Jr. With that said, at the stage of 25-0. Who has/had the more stellar resume? Ward or Calzaghe?
        you can't have him ahead of two roid cheats? he beat the other guy in his back yard

Comment

Calzaghe better then Ward? I don't think so at all, if Ward doesn't already have a better resume, he surely will in about a year, there super middleweight careers are very close as well and thats sad considering Caslzaghe spent most of his career their. Also Kessler fight with Calzaghe was close, against Ward he was totally dominated.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
            you can't have him ahead of two roid cheats? he beat the other guy in his back yard
            He beat that guy in his backyard but that guy was totally shot, Honestly what do you think Hopkins, Dawson, Cloud, Johnson, Tarver again, may be ever Pascal would have done to Roy that night?

His best win for sure is Kessler no doubt about it.

Comment

At 25 -0 Ward has the better resume at that stage in their careers, no doubt.

I still think Joe would have got the decision against Ward, he was a versatile fighter and adapted well.
              When Saiko Bika was asked who he thought would win, he took Calzaghe (i think that was from an interview in the last 2 weeks)

If Calzaghe was American he would be ATG

edit: I got it slightly wrong as they didn't ask him to pick a winner out of Joe & Ward, but here is the interview anyway

Your impressive performance against Beyer got you a shot at Joe Calzaghe in Britain later in 2006. Could you tell us about the fight from your point of view? What was the experience like and what did you learn?

SB - I had minor surgery on my elbow in August 2006. I got the call for the opportunity to fight Calzaghe which I just could not refuse. I gave it my all. Calzaghe was a great champion and rose to the occasion. He won a very hard close fight. I’m very proud of my effort

AW - You have also met the two best super middleweights, Andre Ward and Lucian Bute. Could you share your thoughts on each of those fighters and how you see a potential match between Bute and Ward?

SB - It was a very difficult task fighting Ward in his backyard and he fought the way he needed to in order to get the decision to win that night. Bute was also a tough assignment in his hometown. I’d love another opportunity to fight them both in the future and I believe the outcome will be a bit different next time. I believe if Bute and Ward met tomorrow, Lucian Bute would come out on top.

AW - Who’s the best fighter you have fought and why? Also, who was the best puncher and best boxer?

SB - Joe Calzaghe. He could adapt to every tactic I used in the ring. He had an advantage being a southpaw too. Jaidon Codrington has been the only boxer to knock me down. Joe Calzaghe was the best boxer.

Max Boxing
              Last edited by chav; 04-17-2012, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pturtle View Post
                He beat that guy in his backyard but that guy was totally shot, Honestly what do you think Hopkins, Dawson, Cloud, Johnson, Tarver again, may be ever Pascal would have done to Roy that night?

His best win for sure is Kessler no doubt about it.
                the 'other guy' was Hopkins

Comment

I think thats his second best win, while Hopkins is still going strong he was no where near his prime, but that was a good win for Joe, but if Hopkins was 4 years younger do you think Joe would have won? You think Hopkins was have been gassed? This is coming from someone who isn't a big fan of Hopkins neither but I do believe he is a much better fight then Joe.

My problem with Joe is he retired without have beat 1 prime atg fighter in his resume. How can someone hold as one of the best when he never fought the best?

Roy takes heat all the time for his resume but he has 2 atg prime fighters on his resume and countless hall of gamer fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by chav View Post
                    At 25 -0 Ward has the better resume at that stage in their careers, no doubt.

I still think Joe would have got the decision against Ward, he was a versatile fighter and adapted well.
                    When Saiko Bika was asked who he thought would win, he took Calzaghe (i think that was from an interview in the last 2 weeks)

If Calzaghe was American he would be ATG

edit: I got it slightly wrong as they didn't ask him to pick a winner out of Joe & Ward, but here is the interview anyway

Your impressive performance against Beyer got you a shot at Joe Calzaghe in Britain later in 2006. Could you tell us about the fight from your point of view? What was the experience like and what did you learn?

SB - I had minor surgery on my elbow in August 2006. I got the call for the opportunity to fight Calzaghe which I just could not refuse. I gave it my all. Calzaghe was a great champion and rose to the occasion. He won a very hard close fight. I’m very proud of my effort

AW - You have also met the two best super middleweights, Andre Ward and Lucian Bute. Could you share your thoughts on each of those fighters and how you see a potential match between Bute and Ward?

SB - It was a very difficult task fighting Ward in his backyard and he fought the way he needed to in order to get the decision to win that night. Bute was also a tough assignment in his hometown. I’d love another opportunity to fight them both in the future and I believe the outcome will be a bit different next time. I believe if Bute and Ward met tomorrow, Lucian Bute would come out on top.

AW - Who’s the best fighter you have fought and why? Also, who was the best puncher and best boxer?

SB - Joe Calzaghe. He could adapt to every tactic I used in the ring. He had an advantage being a southpaw too. Jaidon Codrington has been the only boxer to knock me down. Joe Calzaghe was the best boxer.

Max Boxing
                    The bolded lets me know you aren't American.

Comment

Working...
                    X