No announcement yet.

Hardest punching featherweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
    I don't remember McGuigan being a destructive puncher. Although it was a long time ago.

I don't think he was up there with guys like Hamed and Saddler, but he had a good ko ratio at 126.Im not claiming to be amongst the top destroyers, only giving him a shout.

Comment

Fine list. Although they were great fighters, I never considered Salvador Sanchez and Eusebio Pedroza great punchers.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        manny pacquiao, if you are counting 122 and 130 as "fw"
        he had a good run at or around fw, without having a ton of fights at the specific weight.

4 lbs
        close enough. back in the day he would have spent a good deal of time fighting at FW against the mexican three, etc.

and olivares doesn't belong there
        his best punching was done at BW

and morales was a good puncher
        but not a top ten all time puncher

but good looking list
        lots of warriors on that list

edit: gomez is perhaps the greatest hitter ever at 122, and could certainly get a mention here at 126
        dude could flat out bomb with either hand
        Pacquiao was never a devastating puncher above 122. He had pop, but didnt knock anybody out with one punch. Which is part of why I suspected him of juicing in the first place. And Olivares knocked out Chacon and a lot of other guys at fw, also hurt Arguello before he got koed.

Comment

Hamed is unquestionably the hardest punching featherweight I've seen in the flesh. At the height of his career (before he became completely obsessed with his own power and began to rely solely on it) he used to cripple opponents. Often with punches that didn't land completely flush. Like all murderous hitters he generated most of his power through his thighs (which were enormous for a FW) - so much so that he often appeared to leap into a punch.

Where he stands in the all-time list of FWs I'm not sure. It's often hard to find video footage of many of the older fighters which makes drawing conclusions difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
            Hamed is unquestionably the hardest punching featherweight I've seen in the flesh. At the height of his career (before he became completely obsessed with his own power and began to rely solely on it) he used to cripple opponents. Often with punches that didn't land completely flush. Like all murderous hitters he generated most of his power through his thighs (which were enormous for a FW) - so much so that he often appeared to leap into a punch.

Where he stands in the all-time list of FWs I'm not sure. It's often hard to find video footage of many of the older fighters which makes drawing conclusions difficult.
            I saw him fight Augie Sanchez live and he walked by us on the way to the ring and I couldn't believe how tiny he was in person. Couldn't imagine this guy was knocking out middleweights in the gym and was the guy who Emanuel Stewart called the hardest p4p puncher he ever trained. But when he caught Sanchez it sounded like a gunshot!

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              I saw him fight Augie Sanchez live and he walked by us on the way to the ring and I couldn't believe how tiny he was in person. Couldn't imagine this guy was knocking out middleweights in the gym and was the guy who Emanuel Stewart called the hardest p4p puncher he ever trained. But when he caught Sanchez it sounded like a gunshot!
              And yet he couldn't stop McCullough!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                Pocket Rocket's chin was unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                  And your point is what?

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                    Pocket Rocket's chin was unreal.
                    Yeah, McCullough had a hell of a beard on him!

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                      And your point is what?
                      Just that, if he really was the hardest hitting fw EVER, then he'd stop even McCullough. Why not, Larios stopped him...even if that was a past prime McCullough. Naz bragged so much that he would be the first to do it, but he didn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X