No announcement yet.

Hopkins vs Lamotta

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
    i haven't seen that fight in it's entirety... have you?
    A couple times.

Comment

Hopkins would probably be way too technical, and I doubt he'd be silly enough to have a "fight" with Lamotta so i got B-Hop by UD

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
        hopkins has always been extremely good at tying guys up and he's a great inside fighter as well, if he wanted to slow down the pace but a prime hopkins had a great output as well, not like what he is now.

hopkins size advantage would be a factor because jake wouldn't be able to rough hopkins up and out muscle him as hopkins would be the bigger stronger guy in the ring.

the style of lomatta is nothing hopkins hasn't seen before, while jake never fought anyone quite like hopkins who was as big and skilled. you can say hopkins never fought someone like jake as far as his warriors mentality goes and his overall toughness but the style is nothing new. again, hopkins is at his absolute best when his opponent comes to him. his lateral movement, speed, getting his shots off first ...it just doesn't favor jake at all.
        Hopkins never beat a MW even close to the level of Jake Lamotta.

Jake, on the other hand, beat ATG Middleweights. Skilled ones and big ones.

To rule him out completely is just wrong.

Comment

I really hope people have actually seen LaMotta fight before writing him off as a crude brawler without boxing ability.

It may be a silly assumption on my part, but i suspect lots of people base their opinions of LaMotta out of Scorceses movie. If so, please don't.

(not aimed at anyone in particular. it's just quite frustrating that what i wrote above is very common regarding LaMotta discussions)

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
            i know it would mean little for this fantasy fight... but still... i feel it needs to be said...

jake lamotta is leagues better than jermaine taylor...
            Funny you mention Bernard Hopkins at 40 losing to Jermain Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Wolf View Post
              bhop at 40 is still a brilliant fighter.

Comment

lamotta by either stoppage or decision...he was relentless

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Wolf View Post
                  u made it far that back reading my post, im sure u have read the later things i posted...

and man, the 37+ hopkins was a lot better than the younger one... true story...

Comment

Hopkins has only struggled against guys with speed. Mainly due to his old age and slowing reflexes.

In my opinion, La Motta's 'come forward jabbing' style would be ineffective against Hopkins.

Hopkins would just Pot Shot all day imo

And the guys calling La Motta "Relentless" have never seen him fight, and probably watch the movie Raging Bull.

Comment

Give me Jake Lamotta anyday of the week. Hopkins made a name off of fighting under sized big name fighters. When Hopkins fought legitimate opponents he lost, even to the caliber of fighter that is Joe Calzaghe.

Bernard is a good fighter but his "skills" and "ring tactics" that he receives praise for all not as good as people would believe.

Jake Lamotta was just a different kind of fighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X