Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Fighters beaten by a Journeyman when in their prime.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=joseph5620;15578806]Read this again. Slowly this time.

[QUOTE]I think it far outweighs the Cuevas win too. I have never looked at the Cuevas fight as one of Duran's better victories based on when they fought. The Palomino fight is a different story. That was very impressive.

Where in that post did I mention anything about Barkley or Moore? The topic was clearly Cuevas/Palomino.

I understand that you're an ignorant, semi literate old fool, but this attempt to pick a fight is pathetic and lazy. Try again.
    and were did i ever mention Cuevas to be better

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      Another thing, the fact that you list the Cuevas fight among the Leonard and Hagler fights is sheer stupidity on your part. For someone who brags about their boxing knowledge you're showing boxing ignorance more than anything else.
      it is a time-period of Duran's career - his fight with Cuevas was one of the fights he had when IMO he was at his peak years. Those Peak-Years included his loss to Kirkland Laing.... now like it or not, but i couldn't give two shiny ****es about you or your lack of boxing knowledge.. i know that you are obnoxious and a clown who uses different handles on the site, to try back-up the ridiculous comments which you make.

Comment

Originally posted by young_robbed View Post
        If you think a losing effort against Hagler is better than his performances against Buchanan, De Jesus, Moore, Palomino, or Brooks, then idk what to say. Hagler for me won that fight by a lot more than a single point, that's pretty crazy scoring.
        You got that last sentence right. It was the Golberg effect. Duran did so much better than expected that Sonny (as expected) overrates the performance, barely able to restrain himself from saying that Duran almost won. A sawyer retired on disability could count the rounds Duran actually won on the fingers of his left hand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
          You got that last sentence right. It was the Golberg effect. Duran did so much better than expected that Sonny (as expected) overrates the performance, barely able to restrain himself from saying that Duran almost won. A sawyer retired on disability could count the rounds Duran actually won on the fingers of his left hand.
          i seen the fight almost exactly as the judges see the fight, unlike you who would not know the difference between a boxing fight and a pillow fight.

Comment

A lot of people have a very high standard for what constitutes a journeyman.

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
              A lot of people have a very high standard for what constitutes a journeyman.
              I have come to consider it a category in-itself. A journeyman, a gatekeeper. There are fighters who play the role very well....guy like Zab Judah, Orlando Salidad.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                I have come to consider it a category in-itself. A journeyman, a gatekeeper. There are fighters who play the role very well....guy like Zab Judah, Orlando Salidad.
                These are really high quality 'journeymen', as are most of the 'journeymen' that have been mentioned in this thread. I personally consider journeymen to be a step up from 'bum' or 'tomato can', basically someone that a good prospect will fight in their 6th or 7th fight or who a champion or world level contender in the past would face here and there in non-title bouts. The problem with using it for these higher quality fighters is that by calling them journeymen it really makes them seem a lot less than they are.

Comment

Durans peak was in the 70s at 135

His prime lasted til srl 1

Imo after beating leonard was when Duran started to fall off.. Still a great fighter but was past prime especially considering the weight gains and lack of serious approach to training

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
                    These are really high quality 'journeymen', as are most of the 'journeymen' that have been mentioned in this thread. I personally consider journeymen to be a step up from 'bum' or 'tomato can', basically someone that a good prospect will fight in their 6th or 7th fight or who a champion or world level contender in the past would face here and there in non-title bouts. The problem with using it for these higher quality fighters is that by calling them journeymen it really makes them seem a lot less than they are.
                    There is some truth to that. It would ultimtely be in the numbers, i.e. out of a division how many excellent fighters there are, how many of those are distinguished among their peers, how many are fair to middlin...I think in some of the divisions where there is a lot of comp, guys who manage to do well enough so that they expose those comin up who are not ready can be decent fighters...But in a smaller division these numbers can be quite different. For example, in the heavyweight division a guy like tony thompson is a decent fighter and he has made it so that quite a few guys got left at the gate!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      Durans peak was in the 70s at 135

His prime lasted til srl 1

Imo after beating leonard was when Duran started to fall off.. Still a great fighter but was past prime especially considering the weight gains and lack of serious approach to training
                      this sums up how I feel.

Comment

Working...
                      X