No announcement yet.

Michael Spinks accomplishments

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJC View Post
    Thinks that's ok, Ali got a lot of fans into the sport as did Louis Dempsey etc.
    Ideally someone develops an interest in boxing through a fighter then develops an interest in the sport then other fighters past and present. If I flog my memory it was that way with me and you too I'm sure? Quite a few good posters in here seem to point at Tyson as being the guy who got them interested but post well on a variety of boxers and eras.
    Problem is only where fans think boxing begins and ends with the fighter that got them interested.
    Actually I first got into boxing back in the early 70s (72 or 73) when I was like four or five watching ABC's Wide World Of Sports on Saturdays: Boxing was, in fact, my first sport. There wasn't any one boxer that got me into it. I watched the bouts and fell in love with the sport. I have always been a fan of the boxing first, individual fighters second.

That being said, there are fighters that I'm a fan of. However, because I place the sport itself first, it allows me to be objective when evaluating even those fighters I'm fond of.

Poet

Comment

I would say it was the whole 1990-91 period which got me into boxing hard-core.

I watched some fights before that (Tyson title fights in the late 80s, Leonard-Hearns 2), but 1990-91 really got me hooked. Chavez-Taylor 1, Douglas-Tyson, Holyfield-Foreman, Tyson-Ruddock 1-2, Toney-Nunn, Norris-Leonard, etc..

Comment

No disrespect to Spinks but being a 35 year old who became a serious fan at an early age in the early 80's, I have to go with Michael Moorer as my #1.

Spinks #2, but Double M #1.

Moorer was a murderer at LH. 22-0 (22 KO's) as a Light Heavyweight. I remember seeing him for the first time on an ESPN show in the late 80's and watching the opponent become intimidated the moment Moorer stepped into the ring.

It's not like he was a failure as a heavyweight either. I know history has not been kind to him, a lot of that he can blame himself for, but nobody can take the masterful performance over Evander away from him.

Comment

Originally posted by DC Fight Fan View Post
          No disrespect to Spinks but being a 35 year old who became a serious fan at an early age in the early 80's, I have to go with Michael Moorer as my #1.

Spinks #2, but Double M #1.

Moorer was a murderer at LH. 22-0 (22 KO's) as a Light Heavyweight. I remember seeing him for the first time on an ESPN show in the late 80's and watching the opponent become intimidated the moment Moorer stepped into the ring.

It's not like he was a failure as a heavyweight either. I know history has not been kind to him, a lot of that he can blame himself for, but nobody can take the masterful performance over Evander away from him.
          No disrespect, but Moorer beat nobodies and second raters at 175, Spinks beat top flight comp in one of lightheavyweights toughest era's. Looking at it from an objective standpoint, Moorer doesn't belong in the top 10 let alone number one.

Comment

Spinks came out on top in one of the best LHW eras ever. Moorer's opposition was limited, and his title came in the inaguaral WBO belt against a guy who'd lost his last 2 fights.

I'm not too sold on Moorer's chances against the greats of the division, although I guess it's a given that he's a live underdog due to his power (and size).

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
              Spinks came out on top in one of the best LHW eras ever. Moorer's opposition was limited, and his title came in the inaguaral WBO belt against a guy who'd lost his last 2 fights.

I'm not too sold on Moorer's chances against the greats of the division, although I guess it's a given that he's a live underdog due to his power (and size).
              ** A very live underdog very much underappreciated as a fighter. His LH comp may have lacked the legacy glitter that everyone wants to goo-goo over, but the manner in which he takes care of business against solid opposition is spectacular.

Remember, he's not turning pro with a big TV contract as a storied set of Olympic Gold Medal brothers, he's just a big dangerous lefty fighting who they put in front of him.

People forget that he was the first southpaw heavy champ and how hard it was for lefties to get opportunities. Just ask Marvin how long his road was. His LH creditials may pale to MSpinks, but his heavy credentials surpass Spinks who's also underappreciated because he was always overshadowed by the comedic flash of his brother. Unlike Spinks, Moorer's majority careeer is in the heavy ranks and not many know he's the 3x champ having won the WBO by dispatching Cooper earlier than Holyroid did the year before he ever beat Holy. Moreover, he actually beat a prime Holy into retirement for a year. Lest anyone disparage this title, it's every bit as valid as the King/WBA title that allows Holy his 4th title.

Moorer won his third title over a prime Shultz in Germany, and we now know how hard it is to win decisions over popular German based fighters in Germany. Many considered Shultz the true lineal champ due to the perception he was robbed against Foreman. That would make Moorer the first ever heavy to win a title in Germany me thinks.

Moorer defended against two undefeated fighters, Botha and Bean, not the biggest names but noted era contenders who moved on to bigger fights. Yet again, he's doing this in the shadow of Bowe/Holy trilogy, Tyson, and Lewis, not getting a lot of credit. Had he chose to use his boxing skills instead of standing ring center with Big George and trade, boxing history would paint a completely different story.

He'll be a fringe contender to the HOF in years to come. Don't know if he'll make it, but he's got a better record than many in there. It's more a public relations problem with him as his prickly personality and dark side don't endear him to the boxing fans and establishment. On his day, however, he's game against most any LH through heavy you can dredge up. Lefties are dominating the title ranks out of proportion to their numbers now because of opportunity that he helped to create.
              Last edited by LondonRingRules; 07-07-2009, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                No disrespect, but Moorer beat nobodies and second raters at 175, Spinks beat top flight comp in one of lightheavyweights toughest era's. Looking at it from an objective standpoint, Moorer doesn't belong in the top 10 let alone number one.
                JAB, I wish that other people on this site were as smart as you. Your post is 100 percent correct.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  JAB, I wish that other people on this site were as smart as you. Your post is 100 percent correct.
                  Kind words from a great guy. Thanks Joe.

Comment

Working...
                  X