Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Johnny Gonzalez the right opponent for Mares right now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Johnny Gonzalez the right opponent for Mares right now?

I'm geniunely asking the question. It seems to me that Gonzalez, who I think is a very good fighter, is a bit of step in the wrong direction at this point for Mares.

Gonzalez is the type of fighter that Mares should beat, and will be expected to beat, so there isn't much upside to beating him. However, he's also the type of fighter who presents some potential match-up problems, which presents the very real possibility that Gonzalez could pull off an upset or be more difficult than expected.

Anyway, like I said, I'm asking. Maybe some of you guys can make more sense of this choice of fighter for Mares for me.

Was the guy without other more appealing options?

Yeah it will be a good action fight,,,,,,

i would rather see mares vs donaire or gary russel jr but that aint happening,,,

they could do alot worse than johhnny

and besides mares has done murderers row over the past few years,, he needs a soft touch...

Comment

Mares has fought a lot of tough fights in a row and has been moving up in weight. He deserves a softer opponent. I also didn't like the way Gonzalez lost his title on a TD so he deserves a shot as well. The problem is I have a sneak suspicion that this will be a tougher than expected fight for Mares. I think this turn out to be an excellent fight.

Comment

Mares is always challenging himself. He's usually fighting the best option for him at that point in his career. He doesn't seem to take easy fights or opponents anymore.

I agree that Gonzales could prove difficult for Mares with his power + Nacho.

Mares is a beast doe.

Comment

He's taking the biggest challenge available to him. All respect to the kid

Comment

I agree with everyone on here he fights the best and gives the fans what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by hitman smax View Post
              I'm geniunely asking the question. It seems to me that Gonzalez, who I think is a very good fighter, is a bit of step in the wrong direction at this point for Mares.

Gonzalez is the type of fighter that Mares should beat, and will be expected to beat, so there isn't much upside to beating him. However, he's also the type of fighter who presents some potential match-up problems, which presents the very real possibility that Gonzalez could pull off an upset or be more difficult than expected.

Anyway, like I said, I'm asking. Maybe some of you guys can make more sense of this choice of fighter for Mares for me.

Was the guy without other more appealing options?
              man mares the few fighters that can do whatever he wants and we shouldn't say nothing gonzales is solid comp .... mares resume has been tough and honestly i think they are setting up a big fight with santa cruz if he gets thru terraza ..

Comment

I am really looking forward to this fight man Johnny Gonzalez is no joke good clash of styles.

Comment

Originally posted by jov6388 View Post
                  man mares the few fighters that can do whatever he wants and we shouldn't say nothing gonzales is solid comp .... mares resume has been tough and honestly i think they are setting up a big fight with santa cruz if he gets thru terraza ..
                  No arguments here, just trying to make sense of this. I'd rather see him fight a bigger name, but I think everyone has made solid points here.

I'm a big fan of Mares, so maybe he's just spoiled me with his usual selection of a top level opponent.

Gonzalez is very good, and I do think the fight could be very entertaining.

Hope this doesn't prove to be a mistake by Mares.

Comment

Gonzales has true one punch power along with great technique. This is another solid name to add to mares incredible resume

Comment

Working...
                    X