No announcement yet.

Where is Ricky Hatton in your P4P?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Technical_Skill View Post
    You know i judge Pound 4 Pound by its true meaning.

The best fighters in the world when the attributes are not affected by weight.

Under this definition, im not sure Hatton is top 10.

Offically, yes, he probably is.
    He probably is unofficially too, I mean, if Tarver can get in the top 10, what top contender can't?

Comment

number 11

1. floyd mayweather jr
      2. winky wright
      3. manny pacquiao
      4. juan manuel marquez
      5. joe calzaghe
      6. shane mosley
      7. rafael marquez
      8. bernard hopkins
      9. jermaine taylor
      10. joel casamayor
      11. ricky hatton
      12. joan guzman
      13. miguel cotto
      14. mikkel kessler
      15. antonio margarito
      16. ivan calderon
      17. jorge arce
      18. vic darchinyan
      19. oneil bell
      20. rocky juarez

Comment

Originally posted by Shanus View Post
        He probably is unofficially too, I mean, if Tarver can get in the top 10, what top contender can't?
        Lol, i personally wouldn't pick Tarver,

I dont really belive too much in lists and listing people 1-10, its all very subjective.

In my version of p4p, Mayweather, Hopkins, Winky, Pacquaio, would be in there, after that i couldn't pick.

Comment

I'd guess at the moment Ricky is just outside the top 10, however, a win against Castillo would catapult him up into about 5th or 6th place.

Comment

Lol, i personally wouldn't pick Tarver,

I dont really belive too much in lists and listing people 1-10, its all very subjective.

In my version of p4p, Mayweather, Hopkins, Winky, Pacquaio, would be in there, after that i couldn't pick.
            It's all down to which style you like the most and who you feel is most overrated/dominant I guess.

If it was based on talent alone, Judah would be #1 followed by Mayweather, Calzaghe and Guzman, if it was based on dominance Calzaghe would be #1, followed by Mayweather and Pacquiao, if it was based on skill, Hopkins would be #1, catch my drift?

You have to find a common ground for all elements, which is why Hatton deserves to be in the top 12.

Comment

I voted top ten but i would put him around ten so he could be a place or 2 either side after his last 2 fights but a good performance next fight puts him solid top ten for me.

Comment

It's all down to which style you like the most and who you feel is most overrated/dominant I guess.

If it was based on talent alone, Judah would be #1 followed by Mayweather, Calzaghe and Guzman, if it was based on dominance Calzaghe would be #1, followed by Mayweather and Pacquiao, if it was based on skill, Hopkins would be #1, catch my drift?

You have to find a common ground for all elements, which is why Hatton deserves to be in the top 12.
                Yeah i get what you mean, but dominance has nothing to do with the true meaing of pound for pound,

Pound for pound is when you eliiminate the fact that Boxer's A power is more than boxer B's because he weighs more.

Or when you eliminate the fact that Boxer B is quicker than Boxer A because he fights at a lower weight.

This is where your common ground bit comes in.

You decide if weight wasnt an issue, who would have more power, speed, technique out of the two. etc.

Thus it almost comes down to a matter of skills,

Pound for pound is just another way of saying the best fighter in the world in any class.

Imo, thats Floyd Mayweather, i dont think Ricky Hatton is one of the top 10 best fighters in the world at the moment.

Comment

Yeah i get what you mean, but dominance has nothing to do with the true meaing of pound for pound,

Pound for pound is when you eliiminate the fact that Boxer's A power is more than boxer B's because he weighs more.

Or when you eliminate the fact that Boxer B is quicker than Boxer A because he fights at a lower weight.

You decide if weight wasnt an issue, who would have more power, speed, technique out of the two. etc.

Pound for pound is just another way of saying the best fighter in the world in any class.

Imo, thats Floyd Mayweather, i dont think Ricky Hatton is one of the top 10 best fighters in the world at the moment.
                  Well dominance is a factor because if a fighter dominates his weight division it has to be decided by whoever is putting together a list where they rank against fighters in what are percieved stronger divisions. i.e. how u rate someone like Calzaghe who is a longtime undefeated champion against all the ppl from the welterweight division or around those wieght which are seen as stronger divisions. P4P lists are the sort of debate you'll never agree on or prove as most of the comparrisons cannot be decided in the ring.

Comment

I wish that was the way it worked, but it's not in most cases, for example.. Hopkins was #1 before losing to Taylor, but is he less of a fighter now than he was back then? Not at all.

The way I see it, combine a fighters ability, competition and dominance amongst that competition, I think that's a better way to word it.

Floyd is the definition of a pound for pound fighter because he's moved up and up and won every single fight, but that doesn't make him the greatest of all time, because if you compare his competition and dominance over the competition to say.. SRL, he comes up short.

I may not be making much sense right now, it's 12am and I'm tired, SRL has nothing to do with the equation I was just trying to express my view of how to judge a fighter in a P4P sense, even though it's completely fictional and opinionated, you may disagree and say Floyd's better than SRL which is fair enough, but that's how I see it.

Comment

I wish that was the way it worked, but it's not in most cases, for example.. Hopkins was #1 before losing to Taylor, but is he less of a fighter now than he was back then? Not at all.

The way I see it, combine a fighters ability, competition and dominance amongst that competition, I think that's a better way to word it.

Floyd is the definition of a pound for pound fighter because he's moved up and up and won every single fight, but that doesn't make him the greatest of all time, because if you compare his competition and dominance over the competition to say.. SRL, he comes up short.

I may not be making much sense right now, it's 12am and I'm tired, SRL has nothing to do with the equation I was just trying to express my view of how to judge a fighter in a P4P sense, even though it's completely fictional and opinionated, you may disagree and say Floyd's better than SRL which is fair enough, but that's how I see it.
                      Nah, Dude, Ray Leonard> Mayweather for me.

Yes you are right, my way is not the way P4P is judged right now, thats why i said officially, hatton is top 10.

Yes you make proper sense.

Will re-read this post in a bit, gotta do summin.

Cool dude.

Comment

Working...
                      X