Collapse
No announcement yet.

giving 10-8 rounds without a knockdown/point deduction

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did they come up with a 10 point system in the first place? I don't think i've ever seen a round scored lower than 10-6. Has there ever been a round scored 10-1 or 10-0?

The scoring now is pretty rubbish if you think about it, if a fighter lands a few more punches he gets a 10-9 round, if a fighter lands twice as many punches he still gets a 10-9 round. They've got 10 points to play with so why restrict themselves to 10-9 rounds without a KD?

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
      Never said it was. I said if you take a knee, the clock continues to run and you burn 15-20 seconds off of the clock from the ref counting, checking you and resuming the action.
      I get what you're saying. All of this is really ill defined, so we have to go with what we've observed in other fights. IMO this is how it would go, inconsistent as it may seem:

1. You get beat up bad for 1 minute, take a knee with over a minute to go. You get beat up really bad the rest of the way, but stay on your feet. It's a 10-7. I have definitely seen 10-7 rounds with a single KD.
      2. You get beat up bad up for 2 mins, take a knee with 10 seconds to go. It's a 10-8.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
        In round 2 he got beaten up tremendously, for 2+ minutes. Normally when that happens, it's a 10-8 but the guy usually shells up. Tim was throwing the whole way through, which makes it a tough call.

But no doubt he took a 10-8 worth of punishment and more. Be honest with yourself, weren't you shocked he got through the round on his feet? That usually means 10-8.
        Which makes it an easy call, 10-9.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          Someone who suffers a flash kd does so because they have poor balance or they got hit with a good shot. Bradley in round 2 (i believe r1 should have been a kd) was hit with great shots but stayed on his feet. Same with khan vs maidana. Neither provodnikov or maidana were able to put their guy over, and neither khan or Bradley were hurt enough to go down. Imo they should be 10-9 rounds.

Thanks this is what i was after.
          dominant rounds.....

pac vs diaz and pac vs marg comes to mind....where the refs have to stop the fight for the docs to do checkups on diaz and marg....

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
            Which makes it an easy call, 10-9.
            Makes it eligible for 10-9, but not necessarily so given the punishment he took. He was out on his feet for more than half the round. Again, weren't you amazed he made it out of the round on his feet?

Comment

Just seen the fight over on HBO on demand and boy did Tim get an @$$ whooping. Ref should have counted the first kd. In rd 5 I think of Bowe-Golota 2, Bowe got a kd called against him very similar to the non kd call in rd 1 on Saturday. Was watching that fight over on espn classic earlier. Also think rd 2 should have been 10-8. Tim was out on his feet.

Comment

Good fight, I bet Arum and HBO were thrilled.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rigg View Post
                  Just seen the fight over on HBO on demand and boy did Tim get an @$$ whooping. Ref should have counted the first kd. In rd 5 I think of Bowe-Golota 2, Bowe got a kd called against him very similar to the non kd call in rd 1 on Saturday. Was watching that fight over on espn classic earlier. Also think rd 2 should have been 10-8. Tim was out on his feet.
                  In order to get a 10-8 round one fighter has to be vastly superior (dominant) in clean punching, effective aggression, ring generalship ( the fighter who controls the pace and style of the bout) and defense.

How badly you hurt your opponent is not a criteria in the 10 point must system.

Relying on one's chin and power and walk through your opponent's shots will rarely grant any fighter a 10-8 round. That's why a power puncher usually looks for the KD/KO.

Comment

Working...
                  X