No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto Preparing For Physical, Mental Challenges

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Miguel Cotto Preparing For Physical, Mental Challenges

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - ORLANDO, Fla. – As he scowled, grunted and perspired his way through a made-for-media workout just a stone’s throw from the Florida Turnpike, Miguel Cotto surely looked the part.

But while the tattooed and stubble-faced Puerto Rican appeared certifiably menacing in pounding the heavy bag and hand pads and scaling an old-school tow rope to the rafters of a 20-foot ceiling, a nearby observer nonetheless claimed the imminent Las Vegas challenge would be as much cerebral as physical.

In fact, former multi-division champion Oscar De La Hoya – whose Golden Boy Promotions outfit is presenting the May 5 showdown with Floyd Mayweather Jr. for Cotto’s WBA 154-pound title – insists the incumbent’s best chance at an upset is to confound his unbeaten foe with patience, not violence.

“One thing about Mayweather is (that) he doesn’t care what the people in the arena, or whatever, are talking about. He just wants to win the fight. No matter what, he wants that W,” he said. “So, if Miguel Cotto can have that same mentality, it can cause some problems for Mayweather.” [Click Here To Read More]

Cotto can not win this fight if it goes beyond 12 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by denix View Post
      A fight hasnt gone beyond 12 rounds since the 80's

Comment

Originally posted by denix View Post
        I'd reckon any modern day fighter can't win a fight that exceeds 12 rounds because...
        Last edited by JmH Reborn; 04-18-2012, 02:49 AM.

Comment

cotto unlike delahoya does not pay attention to the crowd and he always comes to fight cant say the same for oscar who lost all his big fights cotto has the skill and mindset to beat floyd he doesnt fall for the pre hype talks he doesnt get nervous he just stays calm and does his training cotto wont stand in front instead outbox floyd like he did to mosley use the jab to stop floyd in his tracks floyd is used to guys coming towards him i think cotto is going to stay away use lateral movement and jab when floyd comes in combos to body and head then move away

Comment

cotto can use all the angles and gloves to deflect gloves he wants but don't tell me he's going to outjab FM...plans change when 1 starts getting hit 2 much...

Comment

Floyd's going to swell like a mother'

Comment

Originally posted by nycsmooth View Post
                cotto can use all the angles and gloves to deflect gloves he wants but don't tell me he's going to outjab FM...plans change when 1 starts getting hit 2 much...
                I think most people fully expect Cotto to out jab FLoyd actually...he's got a strong authoritative jab and one of the best timed jabs I've seen in a long time. Floyd will try to take that from him but he'll do it by countering over it or making him miss, he won't try to out jab Cotto. Its gonna be all power shots and inside fighting for Floyd this fight

Comment

Originally posted by PRBOXINGCOTTO View Post
                  cotto unlike delahoya does not pay attention to the crowd and he always comes to fight cant say the same for oscar who lost all his big fights cotto has the skill and mindset to beat floyd he doesnt fall for the pre hype talks he doesnt get nervous he just stays calm and does his training cotto wont stand in front instead outbox floyd like he did to mosley use the jab to stop floyd in his tracks floyd is used to guys coming towards him i think cotto is going to stay away use lateral movement and jab when floyd comes in combos to body and head then move away
                  You love Cotto in this fight!!! Bet that 12Mill in points you got then?

Comment

so they are going to be using 10oz?

Comment

Working...
                    X