Collapse
No announcement yet.

History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I might believe the Edison Miranda rumors after this fight. If Ward is putting you on the ground three times and you can't take his punches all night, it's not a stretch to believe Edison Miranda knocked you out.

That was a tremendous, best fighter in the world type performance by Andre Ward, and it's unfortunate that it came against a Chad Dawson so clearly affected by the weight loss. Maybe Chad will go back to dominating at 175 and Ward can whoop his ass at that weight in the future.

What a great, great fighter Ward is though.

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      I might believe the Edison Miranda rumors after this fight. If Ward is putting you on the ground three times and you can't take his punches all night, it's not a stretch to believe Edison Miranda knocked you out.

That was a tremendous, best fighter in the world type performance by Andre Ward, and it's unfortunate that it came against a Chad Dawson so clearly affected by the weight loss. Maybe Chad will go back to dominating at 175 and Ward can whoop his ass at that weight in the future.

What a great, great fighter Ward is though.
      You say Dawson was so clearly affected by the weight loss yet that was a 'best fighter in the world performance' by Ward?

Comment

• Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
        You say Dawson was so clearly affected by the weight loss yet that was a 'best fighter in the world performance' by Ward?
        What's your views on it, Rube?

Comment

Ward was amazing. He displayed tremendous defense, timing, ability to adjust, and even showed he can finish when a guy is hurt, which no one really thought about Ward going in. He continued to prove that he is one of the two best fighters on the planet.

But I'm not going to pretend Dawson was himself. He couldn't take a punch from Andre Ward, if that doesn't scream weight drained to you I don't know what to tell you.

It is possible for one guy to look amazing when another isn't his best. I don't see what's funny about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            What's your views on it, Rube?
            Ward didn't prove anything at all to change the standing he had before, he gets absolutely nothing from me for it and he shouldn't. It doesn't matter if Dawson was the one who suggested the weight, he came in as a corpse and was destroyed. His punch resistance has never been close to that bad before and he wasn't able to do much of anything due to the fact he was so fragile, honestly I'm not sure his body will ever recover when he returns to 175lbs. I've heard people suggest that Andre Ward will be considered an ATG by the time of his retirement, he's definitely a very good fighter but nothing I've seen convinces me that I am watching a true great.

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            Ward was amazing. He displayed tremendous defense, timing, ability to adjust, and even showed he can finish when a guy is hurt, which no one really thought about Ward going in. He continued to prove that he is one of the two best fighters on the planet.

But I'm not going to pretend Dawson was himself. He couldn't take a punch from Andre Ward, if that doesn't scream weight drained to you I don't know what to tell you.

It is possible for one guy to look amazing when another isn't his best. I don't see what's funny about that.
            He didn't display anything he hadn't displayed before, the win shouldn't change his standing at all and it didn't show anything new about his finishing ability, it showed he had a drained corpse right in front of him.

Comment

Ward didn't prove anything at all to change the standing he had before, he gets absolutely nothing from me for it and he shouldn't. It doesn't matter if Dawson was the one who suggested the weight, he came in as a corpse and was destroyed. His punch resistance has never been close to that bad before and he wasn't able to do much of anything due to the fact he was so fragile, honestly I'm not sure his body will ever recover when he returns to 175lbs. I've heard people suggest that Andre Ward will be considered an ATG by the time of his retirement, he's definitely a very good fighter but nothing I've seen convinces me that I am watching a true great.

He didn't display anything he hadn't displayed before, the win shouldn't change his standing at all and it didn't show anything new about his finishing ability, it showed he had a drained corpse right in front of him.

i'd be very curious to know what your top 5 looks like in the pound for pound category.

ward didn't impress you last night? and you belive the entirety of the outcome was based on dawson being in less than optimal condition from making the weight?

i dont think dawson was himself, and that the weight did have an effect, but it's not what caused him to be completely outgunned tactically and made to quit.
              i find it hard to believe that anybody who knows intimately the best fighters on the planet doesn't count andre ward among their ranks, or think that he's got as much potential to cement a great legacy as any other fighter in his prime.

i dont think floyd mayweather looked terrific at all in his last go, and i don't think there are any other than mayweather and ward who could possibly stake claim as the planet's best fighter.

ward made the correct adjustments. he was on the end of dawson's punches early on. the best way to fight a tall southpaw is to come forward and land the right hand, which dawson was able to take away with his height.

ward went all the way inside and found room to place his left hook inside of dawson's right hand. even though he was the weaker man on the inside for the first half of the fight he was still able to keep his hands free and land the more meaningful punches until dawson broke down, allowing him to string combinations together and eventually put him away.

ward didn't just look good last night, he looked superb.

and his run of late, beginning with the super six, is leaps and bounds beyond mayweather's recent accomplishments.
              Last edited by New England; 09-09-2012, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
                i'd be very curious to know what your top 5 looks like in the pound for pound category.

ward didn't impress you last night? and you belive the entirety of the outcome was based on dawson being in less than optimal condition from making the weight?

i dont think dawson was himself, and that the weight did have an effect, but it's not what caused him to be completely outgunned tactically and made to quit.
                i find it hard to believe that anybody who knows intimately the best fighters on the planet doesn't count andre ward among their ranks, or think that he's got as much potential to cement a great legacy as any other fighter in his prime.

i dont think floyd mayweather looked terrific at all in his last go, and i don't think there are any other than mayweather and ward who could possibly stake claim as the planet's best fighter.

ward made the correct adjustments. he was on the end of dawson's punches early on. the best way to fight a tall southpaw is to come forward and land the right hand, which dawson was able to take away with his height.

ward went all the way inside and found room to place his left hook inside of dawson's right hand. even though he was the weaker man on the inside for the first half of the fight he was still able to keep his hands free and land the more meaningful punches until dawson broke down, allowing him to string combinations together and eventually put him away.

ward didn't just look good last night, he looked superb.

and his run of late, beginning with the super six, is leaps and bounds beyond mayweather's recent accomplishments.
                I don't make pound for pound lists any more but if I did Ward would most likely be in my top 5 but that isn't the point, it wouldn't have changed from where he was at before, it doesn't move him from anywhere to anywhere. It doesn't matter what Ward did in the fight, Dawson was so obviously destroyed by the weight draining, he never would've hurt Dawson like that at LHW and Dawson was so fragile that every time he got touched his legs went to jelly. I'm not that impressed with the talent around today in general, Ward is one of the very best today but he doesn't strike as someone who could be in a conversation with the very best of all time.
                Last edited by RubenSonny; 09-09-2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Just wondering what you guys thought of Ward-Dawson fight from Saturday. I thought it was really good, glad Ward went for the stoppage and not just the easy decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post

I feel pretty much the same about the fight. Ward gave a career best performance but let us not kid ourselves. This was not Dawson near his best.

Comment

• I think Dawson made a mistake in thinking he could beat Ward at 168. Ward did what he always does and went out and dominated the fight and Dawson will have to live with his mistake.

Comment

Working...
                      X