Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shavers vs Joe Louis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerry Quarry was a very good heavyweight, but nowhere near the level of Joe Louis. Quarry KO'd Shavers in the 1st round. I won't even start with Ron Stander and Bob Stallings. If you're talking about Lewis, Bowe, Klitschko, etc. you can use the size rationale. But Shavers wasn't any taller than Louis and I can't make a reasonable case for him winning here. Whenever you have to play the "punchers chance" card, if you're being honest you're really saying "lucky punch".

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      Jerry Quarry was a very good heavyweight, but nowhere near the level of Joe Louis. Quarry KO'd Shavers in the 1st round. I won't even start with Ron Stander and Bob Stallings. If you're talking about Lewis, Bowe, Klitschko, etc. you can use the size rationale. But Shavers wasn't any taller than Louis and I can't make a reasonable case for him winning here. Whenever you have to play the "punchers chance" card, if you're being honest you're really saying "lucky punch".
      true say good post.

Comment

Louis had a great chin, could adjust quickly, seemed impossible to fluster (I always liked how he calmly just gets up and back into the ring after being knocked over the ropes by Baer) underrated defense, and was better at delivering his own powerful shots than Shavers, Louis probably has better delivery than any other fighter in history.

Shavers had great power. That's about it, he wasn't all that good at getting it to its target either, as his record will attest to.

Maybe Shavers would land a big punch, which would probably drop Louis (Shavers could probably drop an ox if he landed flush) Who is to say it would take Louis out? He was only knocked out by Schmeling after 12 rounds of solid right counters and Rocky Marciano, whilst considerably past his best, even then it took 8 rounds.

Shavers has an outside shot, and a small one at that. Louis all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          Ok let's get his straight, Louis is clearly the better more rounded fighter, but in a head-to-head match up I give Shavers a huge chance. Louis always kept his left low and was open for a right hand over the top lead or counter. Walcott hit him with this and so did Schmeling, I know others have too.

Shavers would also be in with someone of similar size. I'm not one to care much about size but in this case I think it would let Shavers feel like the bigger man for once.

What happens when Shavers connects with his right hand?? He would most definitely, without a doubt in my mind as he did so against much better defensive minded fighters.

I know Louis has a punchers chance, but I don't see that coming into effect untill about round 5, Shavers was usually done by then anyways.

I'd like to hear some unbiased ideas, I personally can see Louis just getting stopped - a small chance that he weathers the storm and turns the tables on shavers abruptly, but Shavers by KO is a big chance of outcome.

Shavers nearly knocked Holmes out cold in his prime, if it wasn't for Holmes incredible evasive abilities he would have been finished. He also hurt Ali badly, who had one of the best chins of all time bar non and possibly the most heart.

louis has a punchers chance? against acorn earnie?

you've got it backwards my man
          shavers has the punchers chance. a small one.

joe louis might be the best offensive fighter of all time. he would find the distance for the right hand on shavers and land it quickly. i really dont think he'd make it out of the first four rounds. he might get stopped in one or two.

he'd get a good look at earnie, who really didnt do anything particularly clever, and start landing stuff early. real early. bombs, counterpunches, combinations. whatever he could until shavers went down.

this is a fantasy fight, right?
          not "shavers on his best night and louis on his worst?"
          joe louis in his prime was a total stud. obviously anything can happen in a HW fight with offensive fighters//big punchers, but there's no way he'd lose to earnie shavers.

i'm usually not a fan of highlights (you dont usually get a chance to see any of the good work the opponents get done,) but here's one of louis. i'm sure you've seen him fight. just watch the reactions of the guys he hits. some of them are completely unconscious or close to it from single right hands or left hooks. and he's not just banging hard, he's placing perfect shots
          Last edited by New England; 02-15-2012, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            louis has a punchers chance? against acorn earnie?

you've got it backwards my man
            shavers has the punchers chance. a small one.

joe louis might be the best offensive fighter of all time. he would find the distance for the right hand on shavers and land it quickly. i really dont think he'd make it out of the first four rounds. he might get stopped in one or two.

he'd get a good look at earnie, who really didnt do anything particularly clever, and start landing stuff early. real early. bombs, counterpunches, combinations. whatever he could until shavers went down.

this is a fantasy fight, right?
            not "shavers on his best night and louis on his worst?"
            joe louis in his prime was a total stud. obviously anything can happen in a HW fight with offensive fighters//big punchers, but there's no way he'd lose to earnie shavers.

i'm usually not a fan of highlights (you dont usually get a chance to see any of the good work the opponents get done,) but here's one of louis. i'm sure you've seen him fight. just watch the reactions of the guys he hits. some of them are completely unconscious or close to it from single right hands or left hooks. and he's not just banging hard, he's placing perfect shots
            Bruins won in a shootout tonight.....

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              Bruins won in a shootout tonight.....

started good / decent

finished piss poor

got a bit lucky in ot. and then we just gotta unleash seggy and thomas in the shootout.

really nice pouliot goal/move too. dirty

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                started good / decent

finished piss poor

got a bit lucky in ot. and then we just gotta unleash seggy and thomas in the shootout.

really nice pouliot goal/move too. dirty
                I dunno.....they were too damn slow getting into the offensive zone tonight. Sluggish. Every time a Bruin penetrated I'd end up wondering where the hell is his help. One guy with a puck and next closest Bruin was no closer then center ice I mean WTF?!?

Poet

Comment

no actually the thread turned into a who vs who but its actually a style vs style.

I brought up Louis difficulty avoiding a right hand over the top the same one that Schmeling landed over and over till the championship rounds. I figured Shavers would land it as well.

I think a lot of people are letting Louis' greatness get in the way here.

It's like saying whos greater? Ali or Norton? they went life and death however. Ali is the much greater boxer. Styles play a huge role.

peeps are knocking Shavers for being stopped by quarry in the first, what about Schmeling's multiple stoppages inside the first quarter?? before he met Louis.?

All speculation, I'm just surprised how lopsided the comments are. It's almost as if nobody bothered to think about it.
                  Last edited by them_apples; 02-16-2012, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                    no actually the thread turned into a who vs who but its actually a style vs style.

I brought up Louis difficulty avoiding a right hand over the top the same one that Schmeling landed over and over till the championship rounds. I figured Shavers would land it as well.

I think a lot of people are letting Louis' greatness get in the way here.

It's like saying whos greater? Ali or Norton? they went life and death however. Ali is the much greater boxer. Styles play a huge role.

peeps are knocking Shavers for being stopped by quarry in the first, what about Schmeling's multiple stoppages inside the first quarter?? before he met Louis.?

All speculation, I'm just surprised how lopsided the comments are. It's almost as if nobody bothered to think about it.
                    Think of it this way.

Louis has the edge in virtually everything. Shavers only has power on Louis.

Yet they both have the power to take each other out. Louis would need a good shot, Shavers would need a great shot.

It seems fairly simple to me that Louis is a lot more likely to take Shavers out than vice versa. Is a Shavers upset possible? Yeah, but not likely. Not by a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                      Think of it this way.

Louis has the edge in virtually everything. Shavers only has power on Louis.

Yet they both have the power to take each other out. Louis would need a good shot, Shavers would need a great shot.

It seems fairly simple to me that Louis is a lot more likely to take Shavers out than vice versa. Is a Shavers upset possible? Yeah, but not likely. Not by a long shot.
                      Shavers wouldn't need a "great shot" to get rid of Louis. He was decked by much lesser punchers than Shavers. Shavers nearly knocked iron chinned Holmes out cold. Not only is Holmes iron chinned but he's hard to hit as well.

Louis never had an iron chin nor did he ever incredible defense. Do you catch my drift? or am I crazy?

I've seen Louis get rid of one dimensional punchers as well, don't think I'm leaning only in Shavers favour. It's at least a 50/50 fight for me depending on Louis gameplan.

Louis has quicker hands, shorter punches and much better stamina, so I haven't missed those factors. He survives the initial early rounds then it's Louis fight no doubt.

I just don't like this growing "one sided" approach to fantasy match ups. Not giving a certain boxer a chance what so ever based on another fighters greatness.

Had Frazier and Ali never fought you can bet everyone on this forum would have picked Ali by a lopsided wooping in a fantasy match.

Comment

Working...
                      X