No announcement yet.

Switching Gyms?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching Gyms?

Ok, here is the story, Cliff Notes on bottom for those who don't wish to read the entire thing.

I have been training at my current boxing gym for 1.5 years. I have a good relationship with my coaches and my teammates. However, in those 1.5 years, I can't say I have achieved that much. I have not had a fight yet and I'm not very good when I get in to spar. I can do alright sometimes, but a lot of times I feel like I'm just getting my ass kicked. On top of that, all the coaches are injured right now, so they're not doing too much. Instead they are having me help run practices as I am a college student and older than most of the kids at the gym. The age range is mostly 10-14 year olds. It's not a great environment for a 20 year old as most of the time I am policing the kids as opposed to focusing on my own training. I'm thinking that the environment has grown stale and it's time for a change. I want to find a gym that is pretty much all older guys (16-17 and up), where I can train hard and also work on my technique more. I can't blame the gym for all my shortcomings because I will be the first to admit that I am not very athletic, but I don't think the environment is helping. I train hard in my opinion, I run 3 miles daily as well as my regular boxing activity. Plus I kind of feel my coaches have given up on me at this point and just want to keep me around as an accessory. I don't want to cause a rift between my coaches and me or my teammates when I leave the gym because I genuinely like them, but I feel it is my time to go. How should I leave the gym without offending anyone and still remain on good terms?

Cliff Notes:

- Been training at the same gym for 1.5 years
    - Have not achieved that much, environment has become stale
    - Want to switch gyms but I am afraid that I will ruin my relationship with my coaches and teammates, I would like an amicable split.

How should I leave the gym without offending anyone and still remain on good terms?

Thanks.

Just talk to your coaches and let them know that you aren't happy with the way things are going. They may be able to work something out, but if they can't then they should have no problem with you going to another gym because if you truly have a good relationship with your coaches, they should want what is best for you. If they can't provide the proper training then someone else will have to.

Comment

I know how you feel man.. In mine theres about 7 or 8 of us that have been there for 5+ years, with only 2 activley boxing and the rest being part time coaches and kids aged 11-15 i.e only there once a week.Ive been in my club for almost 9 years I was about to join a different afew weeks ago. Being more like a family now I couldnt get myself to do it, so I made a compromise. Im staying with the club and going back boxing competitivley but once or twice a week im going sparring to different clubs around and training in mine. By fighting your giving the younger kids someone to look up to!!!

Comment

That's another good thing to do (spar at other gyms one or two days per week). Just make sure you tell your coaches first so it doesn't look like you're sneaking around behind their back.

I think everyone should go to other gyms to spar. Not every week if you can get good sparring at your own gym, but as often as possible to go against people with different styles you aren't familiar with. Unfortunately there's not alot of other gyms near ours so to go to another gym takes atleast 45 minutes driving, so we don't get to do it often.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I talked with my coach and he said he understood where I'm coming from. So hopefully that means that I will be given more time to train instead of just helping out. I'm going to wait it out a month, but if things don't improve, then I will leave. I'm very serious about my training and if I can't work towards achieving my goals, I'm not using my time effectively.

Comment

Working...
          X