No announcement yet.

comparing oscar to leonard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comparing oscar to leonard

These guys were both olympic champs that won multiple titles pro titles and made alot of money.

My questions are there accomplishments similar or are leonards greater which is my thoughts?

Is Ray leonard a naturally larger fighter? Again I believe he was.

According to leonards book they almost fought and ray said it was good that they did not because he was skills had regressed and looking back he was sure he would have lost.

If they were cuts of beef, SRL would be Filet Mignon; Oscar would be a White Castle slider.

Benitez, Duran, Hearns, Hagler... quite frankly, any of those wins trump the sum of Oscar's career.

I consider DLH to be a near-ATG... Leonard is the 17th greatest P4P fighter of all time on my list.

It is indeed true that Leonard almost stuck around to fight De La Hoya... despite Leonard being far greater, at that point in time it would have been a complete disaster for Ray.
    Last edited by SBleeder; 10-03-2012, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Oscar is an ATG no doubt about it. He was the whole package in the mid to late 90's.
      Pactards didn't watch boxing in the early 90's, so they don't know any of the guys in DLH's resume. That's why Oscar dont get any love in this forum.
      Had a prime DLH been around NOW, he'd probably be in god status like pactards make their fake saint out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
        If they were cuts of beef, SRL would be Filet Mignon; Oscar would be a White Castle slider.

Benitez, Duran, Hearns, Hagler... quite frankly, any of those wins trump the sum of Oscar's career.

I consider DLH to be a near-ATG... Leonard is the 17th greatest P4P fighter of all time on my list.

It is indeed true that Leonard almost stuck around to fight De La Hoya... despite Leonard being far greater, at that point in time it would have been a complete disaster for Ray.
        Once again, you are an idiot. Let me guess, the masses of true boxing fans recognize Oscar's greatness and rank him highly, yet you see something with your keen eye that nobody else can see? It's always the same story with you - give it up.

Comment

if things were to have gotten a little different in oscar's career, the comparison would be worth making.
          Last edited by AntonTheMeh; 10-04-2012, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Leonards accomplishments are greater but there are alot of similarities in them. Both were gold medal-golden boys with smiles that sold tickets. Both were good talkers which didn't hurt ticket sales either. But mainly both were extremely talented boxers that had a lot of expectations put on them and were matched tough coming up. Not every olympic champion can become a star in boxing. We have seen this to be true many times. I would say though that both fighters lived up to the hype.
            Last edited by TBear; 10-04-2012, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Leonard had greater success against fewer, but more highly ranked all time greats than Oscar.

Oscar certainly fought a greater number of potential HOF/ATG/pound for pound guys than Leonard and was a more consistently active fighter, but had mixed success against this opposition.

Prime for prime head to head at welterweight, I'd pick Leonard by decision in a fight that probably wouldn't look too dissimilar to Oscar vs Mosley 1. I'd edge Leonard in the skills department.

Comment

Leonard was greater, no doubt. He also was so much better a performer in the ring. Definitely more of a highlight reel fighter than Oscar ever was.
                Both were highly intelligent fighters but I think Oscar often over-thought things in there, leading him to fight too cautiously and blow fights like Trinidad and Mosley II.

Comment

Originally posted by -Huey- View Post
                  Oscar is an ATG no doubt about it. He was the whole package in the mid to late 90's.
                  Pactards didn't watch boxing in the early 90's, so they don't know any of the guys in DLH's resume. That's why Oscar dont get any love in this forum.
                  Had a prime DLH been around NOW, he'd probably be in god status like pactards make their fake saint out to be.

:wank:Next time try reading the thread title.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                    Leonard was greater, no doubt. He also was so much better a performer in the ring. Definitely more of a highlight reel fighter than Oscar ever was.
                    Both were highly intelligent fighters but I think Oscar often over-thought things in there, leading him to fight too cautiously and blow fights like Trinidad and Mosley II.
                    I am not sure but I have been told that Oscar was instructed by his corner to stay away from tridad because he had such a big lead. Conversly ray would have angie dundee exhorting him on such as he did against hearns in the first fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X