No announcement yet.

Margarito, Capetillo tainted for life

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margarito, Capetillo tainted for life

• So now what do we do with Antonio Margarito and trainer Javier Capetillo in the wake of the disclosure that the hand wraps seized by the California State Athletic Commission prior Margarcheato's fight with Shane Mosley in January tested positive for the primary elements of plaster of paris, namely sulfur and calcium?

Margarcheato and Capetillo are both already banned from boxing in the U.S. for at least a year after California revoked both of their licenses. It's not long enough.

According to California's forensic evidence, they committed the mortal sin of boxing by attempting to cheat in such a potentially life-threatening manner.

Maybe they will appeal. Maybe they will still seek to have a fight outside of the U.S., such as Mexico, where officials couldn't give a damn about our rules. Whatever happens, they are both tarnished for life and deserve an even more severe punishment than has already been doled out.

Now, I am no scientist but I do know that having plaster of paris on your fists during a fight would certainly be extremely dangerous for an opponent. A boxer's hands are already dangerous enough. Turning them into rocks is a chilling thought. Sulfur and calcium simply do not belong anywhere near hand wraps. That they were there can be no accident.

Margarcheato can claim all he wants that he had no idea what was in his wraps, which means, at best, he's ignorant. At worst, he's a criminal. I've talked to numerous fighters since the incident. To a man, they told me that a fighter knows what is on his hands.

Capetillo has offered the pitiful excuse that he grabbed the wrong pads out of his work bag and that it was a "mistake" that he put the tainted pads into Margarcheato wraps. I bet the dog also ate his homework, too. If you really believe it was a mistake, I've got some Enron stock to sell you.

Why would Capetillo even have those sorts of dirty pads in the first place? The whole thing stinks.

I know no proof has been offered, but it's hard to believe that Margarcheato's gloves were not loaded during his vicious late-fight beat down against Miguel Cotto over the summer. Frankly, I believe he cheated against Cotto. Maybe he also cheated against others. Every one of his wins is now tainted.

Cotto feels the same way, telling El Nuevo Diaz in Puerto Rico, "They attacked not only me, but my health. God only know how many [times] they used it, with Mosley, me and before me. They must bear the full weight of the law. During my career, I have received punishment in a number of fights, and I've never been so swollen as I was when I left the fight with Margarito. In the heat of battle everything felt normal, but my face didn't say the same thing. And for a few weeks afterwards half my face was swollen. Like I've said, the case of [trainer] Panama Lewis was exactly the same and he was suspended for life."

Lewis wound up doing jail time for removing the padding from Luis Resto's gloves before his 1983 fight with Billy Collins. Resto also did time. Margarcheato and Capetillo should be thankful they're not behind bars.

• Promoter Lou DiBella might want to keep his prospects away from "ShoBox" fights in Oklahoma. DiBella got his third undefeated prospect bumped off on a "ShoBox" card in Oklahoma on Saturday when junior middleweight Harry Joe Yorgey knocked out Ronald Hearns. Previously, junior featherweight Gary Stark suffered his first loss -- albeit a highly controversial decision -- to Mike Oliver in February 2007, and super middleweight Jaidon Codrington, one of the hottest prospects in the sport at the time, was drilled by Allan Green in 18 seconds in November 2005. "Let's just say we're not Sooner fans," Carl Moretti, DiBella's right-hand man, joked with me the other day.

• I know I am not alone in this thinking, but I believe the April 25 fight between super middleweight titlist Carl Froch and Jermain Taylor is going to be sensational. I still scratch my head wondering why HBO insanely passed on the bout but am happy that Showtime realized how good it could be and anted up.

I really don't give a **** no more.

Comment

time to move on...he's gone and probally will never return

Comment

Margarito had no problems getting in that ring and bashing Moselys skull in with Plaster. Luckily for Mosley Naz paid closely attention to how they wrapped the taping. I doubt Cotto's uncle paid attention to the wrapping at all since it seems like Cottos uncle is a dick and could care 2 cents about his nephews life.

Comment

Originally posted by D3adpool View Post
          Margarito had no problems getting in that ring and bashing Moselys skull in with Plaster. Luckily for Mosley Naz paid closely attention to how they wrapped the taping. I doubt Cotto's uncle paid attention to the wrapping at all since it seems like Cottos uncle is a dick and could care 2 cents about his nephews life.
          Thats why he threw in the towel instead of letting Cotto take more punishment?

Comment

During my career, I have received punishment in a number of fights, and I've never been so swollen as I was when I left the fight with Margarito. In the heat of battle everything felt normal, but my face didn't say the same thing. And for a few weeks afterwards half my face was swollen. Like I've said, the case of [trainer] Panama Lewis was exactly the same and he was suspended for life."
            For a prize fighter to make a comment like that should mean something.
            Fighters have pride too and none of them will ever want to tell you, so and so hit me so hard I was never the same, but Cotto is leaning towards that, IMO!

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
              Thats why he threw in the towel instead of letting Cotto take more punishment?
              Cotto looked to his corner, thats when they threw in the towel. He was basically signaling to his corner that he had enough of Margs plaster pounding him in the face. If his uncle gave a **** about Cotto, he wouldn't have hurled a Brick at Cotto or I also heard he was trying to use a baseball bat against Cotto aswell.

I think I read that on here. His uncle is not well in the head.

Comment

Cotto looked to his corner, thats when they threw in the towel. He was basically signaling to his corner that he had enough of Margs plaster pounding him in the face. If his uncle gave a **** about Cotto, he wouldn't have hurled a Brick at Cotto or I also heard he was trying to use a baseball bat against Cotto aswell.

I think I read that on here. His uncle is not well in the head.
                He was not signaling anything... lots of fighters look to their corner for advice after a knockdown... they were already up on the canvas before cotto even looked over... matter of fact the reason cotto looked over is because he saw his corner getting up to throw in the towel

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                  He was not signaling anything... lots of fighters look to their corner for advice after a knockdown... they were already up on the canvas before cotto even looked over... matter of fact the reason cotto looked over is because he saw his corner getting up to throw in the towel
                  Are you saying Cottos uncle loves him so much that he was prepared to kill Cotto by throwing a Brick at him? And someone else posted that Evangelista had a baseball bat aswell... What a loving uncle reed

Comment

Rafael wrote this on ESPN a lil while ago. This whole thing is old news by now. His career is basically over. I'd wanna see the Cotto rematch, but it'll never happen now. **** it. Put this ****in **** to sleep.
                    Last edited by MANGLER; 04-09-2009, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X