Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow. One thing i learned from thurman and porter is that.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
    Floyd is one of my 3 favorite fighters ever but this is just dick guzzling, ignorant thread and it's the same mentality a lot of new boxing fans who grew up on Mayweather developed over the years.

Mayweather was an athletic freak with a 72 inch reach and reflexes out if this world. Without that athleticism and physical attributes you can not execute the things he does. You cannot control range the way he does. For the rest of these fighters, they have to find other ways to be effective and win.

Shawn Porter is a stocky fighter built like a football player with a 69 inch reach. He doubles and triples his jab, gets under punches really well, slips punches really well and these skills allow him to get inside where he is most effective. His problem is once he gets inside, he has a tendency to smother himself but he still is a strong body puncher and can limit your offense with his smothering tactics, high activity level and aggression.

Thurman has a ****ing 69 inch reach, shorter than Porter's. Hell you expect him to do? Stay on the outside and work his jab? When he threw his jab Porter threw his own in return and got the better of the exchanges. Thurman used his feet, feints to set up his uppercuts and hooks which was good thinking on his part because Porter is low to the ground and likes to lean forward. Porter has good head movement and gets under punches very well so he isn't that easy to hit so you have to use you feet and get out of harm's way or you let him get in your chest where he is better than you.

This is what's wrong with ****ing boxing. Casual fans don't know what the **** their watching and now mother ****ers that post here every day don't know whst the **** their watching.

Excellent post

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      I was really impressed with how Porter hung with Thurman from a tactical standpoint last night. Most people think of him as just some crude smothering fighter, but his boxing IQ is solid. He showed it against Broner, too. Every time Broner had a good round, Porter came out and took all the momentum back.

Guy just has to work on not smothering his own work while he is smothering his opponent.
      Exactly. He knows what he wants to do and where he needs to get to give him the best chance at winning. His problem is once he gets to where he needs to be, he smothers his punches and they don't cause much damage.

Comment

Floyd is one of my 3 favorite fighters ever but this is just dick guzzling, ignorant thread and it's the same mentality a lot of new boxing fans who grew up on Mayweather developed over the years.

Mayweather was an athletic freak with a 72 inch reach and reflexes out if this world. Without that athleticism and physical attributes you can not execute the things he does. You cannot control range the way he does. For the rest of these fighters, they have to find other ways to be effective and win.

Shawn Porter is a stocky fighter built like a football player with a 69 inch reach. He doubles and triples his jab, gets under punches really well, slips punches really well and these skills allow him to get inside where he is most effective. His problem is once he gets inside, he has a tendency to smother himself but he still is a strong body puncher and can limit your offense with his smothering tactics, high activity level and aggression.

Thurman has a ****ing 69 inch reach, shorter than Porter's. Hell you expect him to do? Stay on the outside and work his jab? When he threw his jab Porter threw his own in return and got the better of the exchanges. Thurman used his feet, feints to set up his uppercuts and hooks which was good thinking on his part because Porter is low to the ground and likes to lean forward. Porter has good head movement and gets under punches very well so he isn't that easy to hit so you have to use you feet and get out of harm's way or you let him get in your chest where he is better than you.

This is what's wrong with ****ing boxing. Casual fans don't know what the **** their watching and now mother ****ers that post here every day don't know whst the **** their watching.
        Why not stay on the outside and Jab? Just because he hs a shorter reach doesn't mean he couldn't be successful doing that.

I agree with you for the most part though although it did concern me how easy Porter found it (at times) to trap Thurman on the ropes and then when he got Thurman there he seemed quite useless.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          Apparently you have a lot more to learn about boxing if that's all you saw those two doing.

Lesson #1: You know those "haymakers off the back foot" Thurman was throwing? They are called counter punches. I would think a Mayweather fan would know what a counter punch is.
          There's a difference when Floyd is countering within the pocket and resetting to a comfortable range than throwing hooks as as you take a pounding.

The nerve of you to even slightly compare the two.

Thurman didn't use any head movement to avoid the same looping hook all night. Never not once disrupted porters rythmn with a jab. Never positioned his feet properly - not once - even though he used his feet to run away.

Wish I knew how to edit videos. There was this one instance in Floyd vs Ortiz where he rapidly closes the distance while Ortiz was retreating by stepping and keeping his lead foot in position.

Sweet science much appreciated.

Comment

Ugh, "I love boxing, but it's not floyd so they ****", stop watching boxing, floyd is a great but he's retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Dosumpthin View Post
              There's a difference when Floyd is countering within the pocket and resetting to a comfortable range than throwing hooks as as you take a pounding.

The nerve of you to even slightly compare the two.

Thurman didn't use any head movement to avoid the same looping hook all night. Never not once disrupted porters rythmn with a jab. Never positioned his feet properly - not once - even though he used his feet to run away.

Wish I knew how to edit videos. There was this one instance in Floyd vs Ortiz where he rapidly closes the distance while Ortiz was retreating by stepping and keeping his lead foot in position.

Sweet science much appreciated.
              That's because Thurman's not Floyd. And that's ok

Thurman's a solid boxer with good power. He's not the most technically sound fighter or the best defensive fighter but he can box and he's hard to beat.

He showed a lot of good things against Porter, also a lot of flaws. Again, that's ok.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Why not stay on the outside and Jab? Just because he hs a shorter reach doesn't mean he couldn't be successful doing that.

I agree with you for the most part though although it did concern me how easy Porter found it (at times) to trap Thurman on the ropes and then when he got Thurman there he seemed quite useless.
                Versus someone like Porter it just seems difficult to do. Brook had some success but when Porter closed distance he wrapped him up whereas Thurman tried to move away or ended up getting trapped on the ropes. Porter is just so low to the ground and gets under your punches and is probably a frustrating guy to fight.

Even if Mayweather fought Porter, I don't think it will be a fight where Mayweather would control the center of the ring and maintain distance. I would expect Porter to get inside and Mayweather to school him in the pocket and off the ropes.

Comment

Versus someone like Porter it just seems difficult to do. Brook had some success but when Porter closed distance he wrapped him up whereas Thurman tried to move away or ended up getting trapped on the ropes. Porter is just so low to the ground and gets under your punches and is probably a frustrating guy to fight.

Even if Mayweather fought Porter, I don't think it will be a fight where Mayweather would control the center of the ring and maintain distance. I would expect Porter to get inside and Mayweather to school him in the pocket and off the ropes.

Seriously? Porter schools Floyd in the pocket?

Did I just read that on a boxing forum?

Edit:

Oh I read that wrong. You're right Floyd schools porter on the inside when he does get there. Whew.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
                    You have to understand. People here want to see slugfests/rock-em-sock-em. Not a stylish, precision chessmatch.

But even Mayweather had his moments against fighters who came at him. He looked way better against Berto than against Manny because Berto tried.
                    Manny only rocked him 3 times in the fight but yeah Berto was the one trying
                    Fawking moron

Comment

Originally posted by Dosumpthin View Post
                      Seriously? Porter schools Floyd in the pocket?

Did I just read that on a boxing forum?

Edit:

Oh I read that wrong. You're right Floyd schools porter on the inside when he does get there. Whew.
                      Nah. The only skill missing from last night was world class infighting. But who can fight inside nowadays? Very few can.

But if judges don't reward it and you have refs breaking up clinched to early I guess fighters just don't feel the need to spend the time to perfect it.

Comment

Working...
                      X