• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deontay Wilder: I want Jennings

Wilder: 'I want Jennings'
    by Lem Satterfield
    Dec 16th, 2012

Within hours his sensational sledgehammer right hand had flattened previously unbeaten Kelvin Price in the third round of Saturday night's clash of 6-foot-7 heavyweights at the Los Angeles Sports Arena, Deontay "The Bronze Bomber" Wilder named the next man against whom he would like to go after his 27th knockout victim.

That man was Philadelphia's 6-2 Bryant "Bye Bye" Jennings, who is 16-0 with eight knockouts.

"I want to be back in the ring as soon as possible, and I definitely want Bryant Jennings," said Wilder, who knocked out Price (13-1, 6 KOs) at 0:51 of the third round.

"I want him. I want him. Bryant Jennings. That's who I want. Everybody wants to see it. The fans want it. There can only we one of us. At the end of the day, there can only be one heavyweight champion."

Jennings is coming off last weekend's fifth-round stoppage of Bowie Tupou (22-3, 16 KOs), of Tonga, and has scored his biggest victory over former WBO beltholder Siarhei Liakhovich by ninth-round knockout in March.

Wilder said that he was dedicating Saturday night's performance in honor of the late Hall of Fame trainer Emanuel "Manny" Steward, who had considered him to be "the best heavyweight prospect before his death in October at the age of 68.

Wilder celebrated his 27th birthday on Oct. 22 in Austria, while spending time as the primary sparring partner for RING, IBF, WBA and WBO champion Wladimir Klitschko -- who was trained by Steward -- in advance of Klitscko's unanimous-decision victory over Mariusz Wach last month.

A 2008 Olympic bronze medalist, Wilder's participation was critical for the 6-6 Klitschko, whose stoppage of 6-7 1/2 Wach marked his 17th-straight win during a run that has included 12 knockouts.

Wilder took care of Price on the Showtime-televised undercard to a main event featuring a 10th-round knockout by former IBF and WBA junior welterweight titleholder Amir Khan over Carlos Molina.

http://******.craveonline.com/blog/1...s-out-jennings
Working...
X