Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the heavyweight division still the most important in the sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All things being equal it is the most important division but the heavyweight division is so thin that it probably is not the most important right now.After the brothers and Haye there are really no stars and Vitali and Haye are about to retire. Welterweight is very important now but when Floyd and Pacquiao retire it may not be so important. The star boxers have lots to do with which division is important so it is always changing. With Canelo, Floyd, Cotto, and Martinez all possible future opponents of each other, 154 could get hot.Wlad makes lots of money and he is big in Europe but he is so much better than all his challengers that his fights don't create world wide excitement.

Comment

I never really cared to much about the heavyweight division. But for some reason I agree with the poster that said there's some mystique around having the hw title. I feel that as far as a boxing champ is concerned, people will always respect the bigger man

Comment

not after lennox retired...lack of competitive fighters...

Comment

Yes it is -- it's just not dominated by America any more.

The rest of the world has caught up -- and that is good for boxing in the long run.

Comment

To non-fans, probably so; to fans, probably not. I don't think there really is a "most important" division.

Comment

I don't think it is.

I think you need an American or British HW to dominate from a marketing point of view.

I like to use the examples of European Football.

Bayern Munich and Inter Milan for long stretches during this era has been better than a lot of the Spanish and English teams. They do very well. But ratings/interest overall around Europe and the World is still higher when teams like Manchester United and Real Madrid/Barcelona is dominating instead.

Another example will be the NBA.
              When the Spurs and Pistons dominated, it just wasn't the same as when the Lakers-Celtics met in the Finals.

From a marketing point of view, you need the English Premier League to be strong, you need the La Liga giants to be strong and you need an American Heavyweight. It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                In Europe = yes. In the rest of the world = no.
                Not necessarily, to be honest with you.

It probably is in Germany and East Europe , but definitely not in most other european countries.

The lack of competition in the HW division is pretty obvious.

I prefer to watch an interesting bout , whatever country the two fighters come from, than, let us say, Wlad vs Wach.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Bomber View Post
                  Not necessarily, to be honest with you.

It probably is in Germany and East Europe , but definitely not in most other european countries.

The lack of competition in the HW division is pretty obvious.

I prefer to watch an interesting bout , whatever country the two fighters come from, than, let us say, Wlad vs Wach.
                  And in the UK as well. With Haye and the other up & coming british HWs.

Comment

Working...
                  X