Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jones' robbery affected olympic boxing scoring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jones' robbery affected olympic boxing scoring?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Si-Hun

The Jones-Park incident, along with another highly disputed decision against American Michael Carbajal in the same games, led Olympic organizers to establish a new scoring system for Olympic boxing.[2]

does anyone know what exactly was the difference between the scoring back then, and the way it is now?

No, Roy's "loss" in 1988 didn't have anything to do with why they changed the scoring system for amateur boxing from the one used previous, which, like nowadays, was still five judges seated at ringside, but they instead used a 20-point must system at the time instead of the punch tracker/counter we have now.

Comment

I believe the change was partly due to the scandals of the Seoul olympics. The IOC threatened to abolish boxing in the wake of these games and possibly other highly disputed decisions. The russians (or eastgermans) came up with this computerscoring which was introduced a few years later. The AM-boxing fraternity felt that this system, although imperfect, was the best system for avoiding the arguably more subjective 20-point system.

In all likelyhood the change saved boxing as an olympic sport.

The 20-point system was not very different from the 10 point system used in the pros.

The computersystem, I believe, requires that the at least 3 judges ringside must hit the 'score'botton inside a ½ a second or so for a blow to be telling.
      Last edited by BattlingNelson; 08-22-2008, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BatTheMan View Post
        I believe the change was partly due to the scandals of the Seoul olympics.
        I've traced the talk of changing the scoring system back to 1984 and all the controversy surrounding those Games when the American fighters seemed to be getting a lot of decisions they weren't entitled to. After one such instance, the highly controversial fight that went the Americans way between Henry Tillman and Angelo Musone, Colonel Don Hull came out the next day and said the following;

"What we have to do is find a way, with lights or something else, to show scores after each round, so that people will realize who's ahead. That's my next project."

Hull was the Amercian president of the AIBA at the time, and amongst other sources, that quote was found in the Philadelphia Daily News dated Aug 10th, 1984. He also stated pretty much the same thing the next day to the press;

"I'd like to see some kind of scoreboard that would make the judges scoring known to everyone after every round."

Hull's "project" as he called it, seemed to turn into what we have now, and after some rumblings over the next couple years as to expect some changes, and even some at the beginning of the boxing competition in Seoul, the new AIBA president at the time, Anwar Chowdhry, issued the following statement on Sept 27th, 1988, as printed in various sources the next day (including the Los Angeles Times, Sept 28th, 1988);

"At our world championships in Moscow, in September, 1989, we will introduce electronic scoring. Each judge will have two buttons in front of him, each representing a boxer. For each scoring blow a judge will push a button, and that punch will be shown on the scoreboard next to the judges' number. For the first time in boxing the public will see blow-by-blow scoring. I am an engineer by profession and I am convinced we can, by electronic scoring, bring about better, more consistent performances by judges." - Chowdhry

The new scoring system was already planned and then obviously designed by Sept 27th as announced by Chowdhry, which was a few days before Roy Jones' gold medal bout against Park Si Hun, which didn't happen until Oct 1st of that year.

Comment

Working...
        X