Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some posters keep saying Cinco de Mayo is reserved for Mexican fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think its a Mexican fighters date. I do think that they(boxers/promoters) are fighting to accommodate the Mexican fans of boxing on Cinco de Mayo.

I honestly think Floyd and others who are American should fight on a American Holiday (like 4th of July) and fight for the enjoyment of American fans and accommodate us. It should be the American way but that's just me.

If the Mexicans party on 5 de Mayo i guess as boxing fans they need entertainment, after all they are boxing fans, regardless of who is the main event; plus they will always put Mexican boxers on the under-card.

Who ever brings the money i guess gets the better treatment.

Comment

......because the casual Mexicans fans don't give a shit about a fight that doesn't involve a Mexican

I was the only one that actually cared about the Mayweather - Mosley fight

Comment

Originally posted by bose View Post
        I don't think its a Mexican fighters date. I do think that they(boxers/promoters) are fighting to accommodate the Mexican fans of boxing on Cinco de Mayo.

I honestly think Floyd and others who are American should fight on a American Holiday (like 4th of July) and fight for the enjoyment of American fans and accommodate us. It should be the American way but that's just me.

If the Mexicans party on 5 de Mayo i guess as boxing fans they need entertainment, after all they are boxing fans, regardless of who is the main event; plus they will always put Mexican boxers on the under-card.

Who ever brings the money i guess gets the better treatment.

......... @ Americans caring about Floyd,ward or bradley

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
          ......because the casual Mexicans fans don't give a shit about a fight that doesn't involve a Mexican

Didn't that fight get 1.4 million buys?

The date isn't reserved for Mexican fighters. Historically, it's been a weekend that's reserved for the biggest stars of the sport. Nationality doesn't matter. It's just traditionally a big fight weekend. Which is why so many people are angry about Top Rank wanting to delay the fight. May 5th is probably the best date for the fight to happen.

Comment

You and 1,399,999 others apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Larryx2011 View Post
              Seriously how short are peoples memoried

Manny fought Mosley and Hatton on Cinco De Mayo weekend..so whats with that excuse?
              Damage control Larry. Trying to save face the same way they have been going about it since 2010. Just keep piling on excuse after excuse and lie after lie and contradiction after contradiction in a coordinated effort. They need not bother, as Manny could come out and say he want's no pat of Mayweather in a press conference and these sack lickers would still spin it.

Comment

......... @ Americans caring about Floyd,ward or bradley
                When HBO tallies terrestrial and satellite buys for a FMJ fight the majortity come from urban areas (Greenburg's words not mine). So he's basically saying from African American dominated neighbourhoods. So i'm pretty sure they care.

Comment

.......you guys aren't following.

see accommodating to the Mexican fans is almost a sure way to sell PPV's if you do it on a Mexican holiday it will obviously boost it sells.
                  in what fight that didn't involve a Mexican..has Floyd sold that much?
                  against Ricky Hatton, and it was against an undefeated popular British fighter....

the date isn't reserved just for Mexican fighters but unless Floyd is fighting a somewhat popular fighter from another country. He isn't going to sell the same.

would Floyd really sell a +Million if he fought Peterson, Bradley or Kirkland on the 4th of July?

Comment

Because everyone knows Mexicans are keeping the sport alive..

Comment

Originally posted by check hook View Post
                      When HBO tallies terrestrial and satellite buys for a FMJ fight the majortity come from urban areas (Greenburg's words not mine). So he's basically saying from African American dominated neighbourhoods. So i'm pretty sure they care.
                      sure, because he tapped in to the hip hop community, with the whole "Money May" persona, but Americans as whole don't care about Floyd.

even when my family has bought Mayweather fights... it was to watch him lose

Comment

Working...
                      X