Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TYSON OR ALI: Who is the Most Popular in the World?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to lean towards Tyson. If I went into some poor as Afghan village, they will know Tyson more often than Ali.

It's hard to say but because Tyson is more modern era, I have to roll with more people knowing him than Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
      Different generations. More of the ADHD generation today because of new things coming out all the time. Doesn't mean all, but it seems it is more so. I've also read that kids have the ability to process a lot more information today than yesterday.

Something simple:

When I was growing up a new pair of Jordan's came out once a year or so. The Jordan shoes were made much better then than now and everybody that was around at the time and compares them to today's models, say the same thing: Today's are a cheap knock-off version yet they are trying to sell it off as quality.
      Now this isn't just the memory being bias because of good feelings of the past because some still have their original pair of shoes in safe keeping so they can compare. I had a friend that collected a few and we matched new vs. old.
      Of course, those Old Pair were made from a type of worker for cheaper cost probably which means you can get higher quality for your dollar so there is some compromise in this "older vs. new" generation.
      But for many things that were great back then, there are many things better today.

You also have the market flooded with Jordan sneakers which devalue the worth in my opinion.

Each generation tends to offer something good and something bad.

I pick what I like from each.

Ali was far from perfect and the same can be said about Tyson.
      And I have VERY pointedly said in numerous posts that their are great fighters in EVERY era. I just run into far to many people in NSB that opporate under the assumption that if a fighter was pre-1970 (or pre-1980 or pre-1990) they automatically are inferior to present day fighters or they use the condescending "oh they were good in their day" BS. I have no tolerance for that kind of miss-placed arrogence from children who quite frankly don't know **** all.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        And I have VERY pointedly said in numerous posts that their are great fighters in EVERY era. I just run into far to many people in NSB that opporate under the assumption that if a fighter was pre-1970 (or pre-1980 or pre-1990) they automatically are inferior to present day fighters or they use the condescending "oh they were good in their day" BS. I have no tolerance for that kind of miss-placed arrogence from children who quite frankly don't know **** all.

Poet
        Agree, but that isn't everybody.

Many today still like classical music, old movies, novels, art, etc. that comes from the past...as well as fighters from the past over today's crop of fighters.

I'm under 35 and I have "Benny Leonard" as my screen-name as well as Joe Louis down below.

Comment

ali no doubt...

tyson was a freak show, ali had religious, racial and political implications on top of being the greatest boxer of his generation

Comment

a few years ago , muhammad ali sold his name.

he got $50 mil. plus 20% of the profits.

let's see how much tyson sells his name for 30 years from now.

Comment

I think people are confusing the fact that they like Ali more. Tyson is considered a laughing stock, yes, but more people are drawn to him than Ali. Ali has become that grandfather figure that people like just because he was a good fighter, maybe his management's just great at covering up the **** he put Smokin' Joe through, but he still projects a good image, but if you're reading the spors section and there's an article about Tyson and Ali, you're going to turn to Tyson first, if you say ALi, you're a liar. He's kept himself in the public eye, and like it or not, he's becoming more and more of an icon.

Comment

Ali times 20.
                No competition.
                People who voted for Mike need to get their heads checked.

Comment

Working...
                X