No announcement yet.

Guys explain why do most fighters now seemly hit the heavy-ba extremely light

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NVSemin View Post
    sounds convincing enough for me regarding FLoyd. This media workout is the same over decades. Sure he does A LOT of extra when cameras are off
    lol of course! u think he got where he is by touching mitts and tapping heavy bags?

Comment

It depends on the fighter's style or what he's working on improving.

Floyd is not a "power fighter" so he has no reason to hit anything with full power. His style of hitting (bags, mitts, etc.) helps improve and/or maintain a high level of muscle endurance and stamina which is the style Floyd fights. So it is more efficient and effective for him to hit the bag continuosly with no breaks for an extended period of time (almost always longer than a single round).

"Power fighters" tend to hit heavy bags with a heavy amount of force and focus on maintaining that power until the round ends. You can find videos of Sugar Shane Mosley or Arthur Abraham digging hard into a bag usually focusing on a single punch or very basic combination.

Other boxers might focus more on their footwork. You can find videos of Miguel Cotto circling around the bag with the jab and sometimes the straight being the only punches thrown.

There are videos of Ricky Hatton hitting the bag very hard and also clinching or slipping the bag right afterwards because he's an inside fighter and this is the style that he fights.

Some boxers will use the bags to focus on their expertise and fighting style while other boxers will use the bags to focus on their weaknesses.

Comment

I can't view your you tube links but I remember watching a Joe Calzaghe workout on tv once and he was leaning into the bag and lightly punching the bag quickly 200 or so times. I use this method in my workout and build up to 5 mins of punching without break. Don't know how many times I hit that bag but it is way way over 200. I use this as my cardio workout as I can't run due to an old leg break (tib and fib 8 yrs ago) as the impact is too sore. The sweat is just pouring out at the end of 5 mins. 1 min rest then back again for 2 mins, 1 min rest then back to 5 mins and finally 1 min rest followed by 2 mins on bag again.

Comment

Because you use power on finishers, you use the heavy bag to move and make you move, it's not something you beat the tar out of unless it is for show. I've damaged my left shoulder hitting **** as hard as I can.

Comment

Floyd hits the bag much harder then that but he does that to warm up try it

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
              Because you use power on finishers, you use the heavy bag to move and make you move, it's not something you beat the tar out of unless it is for show. I've damaged my left shoulder hitting **** as hard as I can.
              This. Good post. A heavy bag is more for mastering movement versus an opponent more than anything. I was always taught to "control the bag" to master it. Much like futbol, the more you control the bag/ball, the more impressive your mastery of the sports fundamentals, in a few specific areas anyway. I don't really hit any bag hard. I do once in a while to play around, lift a good bag with an uppercut or just go off for a quick combination when mi entrenador is looking, a nice shoeshine or something, I only swing hard when I spar, and that's only certain sparring partners where it's understood we are turning it up and don't need micromanaging surveillance like some more novice fighters do so we can "freestyle" more instead of a set focus while sparring.

~LoadedWraps

Comment

Shoulder endurance.

Recently I hurt my right hand a few times and currently my left index finger. So for the past week, I've been doing the "light tapping" on the heavy bag but the goal is to get high repititions. For me at least.

So for the three minute round timer, I'm aiming for 200 punches. After 3 rounds of that, your shoulders will be tired. When your body recovers, your shoulders will have more endurance for that repetitive motion. Before it was 150 or so, now I'm at 200. Endurance increased. Obvi with proper technique and I prefer the wrecking-ball bag for this exercise.

I'm not much of a slugger nor a high volume puncher. I'm an opportunist. So punching really hard all the time or throwing really fast every punch doesn't appeal to me. So I don't train to be those sort of fighters.

Just my 2 cents.
                Last edited by F l i c k e r; 07-27-2013, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X