No announcement yet.

WHAT is with the matthysse hype?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
    B-Hop is a better defensive fighter than Floyd, imo.
    Yeah, I corrected myself. B-Hop skill for skill is a better defensive fighter than Floyd.

Comment

• Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
      Haha, I got a little carried away. Pernell is my favorite defensive fighter of all time.

Best defensive fighters of all time:

1) Pernell

2)Benitez
      3)Floyd
      Come on man no Willie Pep!

Comment

• Originally posted by pistol whip View Post
        Come on man no Willie Pep!
        Never seen him fight. Imma check him out later tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
          That's the thing. No one's comparing him with slick, black fighters. We're comparing him with the 140 lb. division.

Majority of the top guys are bangers. Matthysse just so happens to be the ultimate banger. With boxing skills.
          I agree. My comment is geared towards the people saying that "People are criticizing Matthysse because he is either a) Not a "slick" fighter, or b)not Pernell Whitaker or SRL or c) doesn't fight like Mayweather"

Nobody has criticized Matthysse because his style of fighting or his color. They criticize him because they are judging him based on his performance in the two biggest fights of his career.

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
          Let me tell you something. A lot of the same people who say mattysse isn't hard to hit & for that reason say he's beatable are some of the same damn people that have Broner on the pfp list & view him as unbeatable even though he himself isn't (that hard to hit).

In fact we all do it. Me included. I say Floyd & Pacman were duckers, when Martinez does some ducking himself. But the majority of nitpickers are usually the superstar fighters with huge fanbases. It is what it is.
          I agree. I try to be as reasonable as I can. Broner is not a top 10 p4p fighter and is being hyped up because HBO is in desperate need of a new star.

I also believe Matthysse is the best fighter at 140 and agree that he often gets overlooked. But the criticism of him by the people in this thread is 100% fair.

Comment

• This **** gives me goosebumps every time I watch it.

Comment

• Originally posted by PBP View Post
              I agree. My comment is geared towards the people saying that "People are criticizing Matthysse because he is either a) Not a "slick" fighter, or b)not Pernell Whitaker or SRL or c) doesn't fight like Mayweather"

Nobody has criticized Matthysse because his style of fighting or his color. They criticize him because they are judging him based on his performance in the two biggest fights of his career.

I agree. I try to be as reasonable as I can. Broner is not a top 10 p4p fighter and is being hyped up because HBO is in desperate need of a new star.

I also believe Matthysse is the best fighter at 140 and agree that he often gets overlooked. But the criticism of him by the people in this thread is 100% fair.
              I'd have agreed with the bold if all these guys who are criticizing Lucas said the same of the fighters they support. But it absolutely is not 100% fair if you're (not you but whoever) is willing to talk about Lucas' liabilities but not the liabilities of the fighter they support. That isn't fair.

Example: Broner/Mattysse. Both of them get hit. The difference is Mattysse is the 140lb fighter while Broner is the lightweight. How can you talk about Mattysse being easy to hit, when the 5 foot Reeses was laying leather on Broner like crazy??

Comment

• What is funny is I have liked Matthysse for a long time, and was saying he would beat Garcia before that was even cool~

Another funny thing is people lectured me about how Kaizer Mabuza was a superior fighter than Matthysse.

How things change in boxing~ and in short order

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  What are you talking about, Rome? When did I say anything about acknowledging defense being bad?
                  It just sounded like that's what you were getting at..I do believe Matts is there to be hit, but I don't believe he does not have skill..But it just sounded like you were saying it's bad to acknowledge defense..I think you have to look at a fighter on a whole..If he does not have the best defense it is something to look at,I agree with you tho, it does not mean a fighter does not have other skills..

Comment

• [QUOTE]
                    Originally posted by PBP View Post

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, but he did damn good in those fights, and in the eyes of the fans, won those fights.

Not to mention, he was the cherry picked opponent that back fired. They won those fights, but Matthysse got more credit for his loss than their wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                      You're only a killer when you stop every fighter you've ever faced

Wilder is the only killer in boxing
                      What about Edwin Valero? No pun intended.

Comment

Working...
                      X