Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Trinidad supposed to fight Norris?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Trinidad supposed to fight Norris?

Coz at boxrec it says he was fighting a WBC LMW eliminator fight vs Troy Waters in august of '97. I know Terry lost his title not too long after that, was that the reason the fight never happened? I guess so.

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
    Coz at boxrec it says he was fighting a WBC LMW eliminator fight vs Troy Waters in august of '97. I know Terry lost his title not too long after that, was that the reason the fight never happened? I guess so.
    Yes...it was being heavily talked about then.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
      Yes...it was being heavily talked about then.
      Dang...and Norris HAD to lose! That would be a monster fight!

Comment

That would of been an amazing fight

Comment

Norris was going to sign with King and fight Trinidad. But Arum promised him a shot at Oscar DLH if he signed with Top Rank. In his first fight on a Top Rank PPV undercard, he was stopped by journeyman Keith Mullings and his career suddenly went straight downhill. Norris lost millions of dollars getting upset by Mullings.

Comment

Norris definitely drops Tito. Trinidad would get up tho and Terry would get greedy and go for that extra punch or two more in a combo when he should be moving and BAM! Tito left hook - fight essentially over.

Trindad early KO in an exciting tear up

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
              They could've fought for a number of years. Would've been great. I got Tito in that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                Norris was going to sign with King and fight Trinidad. But Arum promised him a shot at Oscar DLH if he signed with Top Rank. In his first fight on a Top Rank PPV undercard, he was stopped by journeyman Keith Mullings and his career suddenly went straight downhill. Norris lost millions of dollars getting upset by Mullings.
                I was under the impression Norris was under contract with King during most of his reign and most of the Trinidad talk. It wasn't til the end that Norris got free from King and signed with Arum.
                King liked to keep his own promoted fighters seperate. Which is why fighters like Chavez Sr. and A. Nelson or Keith Holmes and William Joppy never fought each other but were often in the ring with fighers from other promoters. This was even true when King had multiple heavyweight champions

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                  Norris definitely drops Tito. Trinidad would get up tho and Terry would get greedy and go for that extra punch or two more in a combo when he should be moving and BAM! Tito left hook - fight essentially over.

Trindad early KO in an exciting tear up
                  Yes, with Terry's amazing speed and very good punching power and Tito's history, a knockdown would be almost unavoidable. And with Terry's famously bad chin, it'd take an absolute top notch performance for him to surive thru 12 rounds-unless he managed to get him out of there, which is hard. Trinidad on the other hand had a good chin. But Terry DID have a monster left hook, so...who knows.

Comment

Norris and Trinidad were on seperate undercards in the Tyson-Seldon bout, both were being talk upon for a showdown the following year, I was disappointed thru Norris ran off from Tito, who had to faced Waters instead, signing with Arum was Terry's way to avoid a big puncher, he got knockout by Keith Mullings later that year in the undercard of a Dela Hoya fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X